buyers remorse mitigation plea from non-pro part-time farmer-type.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the 029 have an adjustable oil pump like the MS290?

Maybe it is turned down low?

I discovered it is adjustable and I have it turned up. I cleaned the bar up real well. I'm thinking it may be just the right amount of oil and no extra for that 20" bar.

It does look to have been ran a little rich. Quite a bit of carbon around the exhaust port. May have just been ran quite a bit though. The cylinder and piston look new though. I'd say you did good there.
Synthetic, non synthetic, does'nt really matter IMO. Just run a good quality non ethanol gas if you can find some. And a good quality oil.

I understand good oil and no ethanol but other than that does that mean no ARCO gas? Chevron? Octane rating?

ARCO fuel is crap. Try to get the least amount of ethanol (or no ethanol) as possible. 89 or 92 octane will be fine.

Using either Stihl Ultra or Husky XP synthetic at 50:1 will be fine.

Gary

Saw

Use good quality two stroke oil and non ethanol fuel and do regular maintenance and it will last a long time. Clean uo the carbon on the saw and drill a acouple more hole in the muffler and enjoy.

The P&C look really clean. The exhaust port could use a good cleaning & polishing, but it isn't necessary.

I agree with the others--the price would've been fair for a standard 029, it's a pretty good price for a Super.

Why not a full synthetic? Use the Stihl Ultra (full synthetic) at 50:1 and don't look back.

This ain't a 4 stroke...

Gary

You did real good I just sold a low hour 029super last fall for 200.00,,,and the guy loves it!!!

garys right on this one,,, It looks to have had a steady diet of Dino based oil and possibly regular grade Gas hence all the carbon build up,,

If it was mine,,, I'd get a small wire brush, a small plastic scraper From you pistol cleaning kit and some solvent (White mineral spirits works fine and is cheap) and carefully decarbonize that exhaust port with the piston up near Top Dead Center,,, especially near the piston interface w/port window,,, that carbon can cause problems,,, then flush it clean with a spray bottle and the brush from your pistol cleaning kit,,, LOLOL but my CAD is worse than yours,,,

Then/or,,,, LOLOL!!! put it on a steady diet of premium grade Gas (non ethanol if possible) with stihl Ultra and it will clean that baby up,,, Even if you dont decarbonize,,, the Ultra will clean it up!!! Any good synthetic designed for air cooled engines will work,, Amsoil, Etc. Etc.
Do a search on synthetic oil here and you will be reading for days!!!

That saw has seen very little runtime as evidenced by the still visible maching grooves on the piston/rings and the bar code tag that is still glued to the front of the crankcase/oiltank

From the looks/condition of the rings/piston Im thinking your compression tester may be off a bit, not unusual

Sharpen that chain and keep it sharp is you best friend,, Also get yourself a bar groove cleaner and keep the build up cleaned up in the guide bar groove and the oil holes clear,,, blowing the groove with compressed air will not clean the pitch that gets stuck in there,,, inspect the bar and make sure the rails are trued/square, dress as needed/required,,, Make sure the sprocket gets changed as needed and grease the pto needle cage brg. while you have it apart,, all you need for this is your scrench,/screwdriver a good pair of needle nose pliers

Last edited:
Stupid California trying to ruin my tools

It's law here that the fuel have 10% ethanol content.

You prolly ain't gonna find fuel anywhere without Ethanol in it anymore. 10% isn't bad compared to what the rest of the country has in theirs. We have 10% up here in WA too.

Don't sweat it... run it... it will be fine. Just don't store it fo long periods of time.

Some cats will go 100 miles out of their way just to find non-ethanol fuel. Craziness if you'se ask me.

Gary

You prolly ain't gonna find fuel anywhere without Ethanol in it anymore. 10% isn't bad compared to what the rest of the country has in theirs. We have 10% up here in WA too.

Don't sweat it... run it... it will be fine. Just don't store it fo long periods of time.

Some cats will go 100 miles out of their way just to find non-ethanol fuel. Craziness if you'se ask me.

Gary

I only drive 23 miles one way!!!! lets see thats only 46,,, does that make me almost 1/2 crazy??????

but I can still get it!!!!!! I buy 10 gallons @ a time while there and when Im going fishing I get 10 extra gallons to top off the Boat!!!!!!

Have you guys seen my boat???? LOLOLOL!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I run husky XP oil at 40/1 in all my stihls. No problems at all for 25 cords or so

Latest posts

Back