Buying a 3120 for milling what bar and chain do I need

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue dog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Going to order a 3120 through my work for cost. looking to use it for milling, I'm going to be restoring my house built in 1880 and would like to use some of the trees off my property. What bar and chain combo should I get? Not sure on the pitch and gauge. I've cuts lots of firewood but never milled with a chainsaw. Thanks

What size trees do you plan on milling? Mostly hardwood or softwoods? Everyone has a preference on chain, but other parts of your setup will likely have a bigger effect. I like to run 3/8 on everything. Lots of guys are running picco on longer bars for the narrower kerf, and some are milling with .404. There's no right or wrong. If you have other saws, I would just stick with what you are running already.

probably around 20" dia logs I have a 372 two 346's and a 55 I run 3/8 on them all but .325 on the 346's

A 3120 is going to chug right through 20" logs. 3/8 on a 36" bar should get you going, but I wouldn't hesitate to go longer if you think you might mill some larger logs in the future. I have two sets of rails for my mill, and it's pretty quick and easy to change everything out.

Check the threads with the kerf measurements.
3/8p might be to light for the 3120. Possibly your 372 or 395 as lighter.
Pick a size your can use on a 36" and bigger if needed probably 3/8 .063 or .404. Check the carriage size for oil transport vs kerf
How big
@mdavlee??
Drill and bolt bar.

For smaller stuff, ( is on my logosol m8) I run a GB bar 24" with a .325 9 tooth sprocket and full comp .63 chain, absolutely flies. Mine isn't exactly stock though.

Presumeably a 28/30" bar in an Alaskan mk3 for the size you wish to mill (7 or 8 tooth sprocket since yours will be an epa model if new)
. A longer bar does help balance the heavy powerhead better in the mk3 mill better though (preffer 42").

As for chain pitch .325,3/8 and .404 all work well. Personally preffer .325 to low pro 3/8 though

My cost on the 3120 with more than I thought it would be. I might end up having to get 395 would that be a good choice for up to 24 inch logs It would just be used for some woodwork in my house and furniture making myself

395 will do just fine in wood that size. It is no slouch. 36" bar with a 30" Alaskan mill clamped on (not bolted on) will give you about 27" of cut. Might want to go with a 42" bar and 36+" mill if you might every mill larger trees in the future.

Latest posts

Back