Buying a new saw 55-60cc range ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamp45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am going to puchase a new mid range saw 55-60cc. It has boiled down to echo cs600p,efco 156,husqvarna 359, Can somebody give me some input on the pros and cons of the three saws. also might consider a stihl ms290 or a husky 455 rancher.

What are you going to use it for determines what size saw to start with :).
Limbing = smaller saw
Bucking = bigger saw
logging =real big saw

I can speak about the 156 since I have ran one in a commercial setting for 2.5 seasons of firewood cutting. Ours has to have at least 300 tanks of fuel plus burned through it and the only thing it has needed was a sticky recoil, it just needed cleaned out due to accumulated junk.

This saw is right on the heels of the famed 361 Stihl. It is easy on fuel, for anything but milling has adequate/good filtration, easy on fuel, has excellent anti vibe.
The saw is built with pro grade construction. It comes with a five year warranty.
It is an outstanding choice for the do it yourself firewood provider or for a general farm and ranch saw. Ours sits on the back of a 1 ton flatbed farm truck year round out in the elements. It is one tough saw. I didn't think I would like the primer bulb built into the saw, but it has grown on me as it is prolly the easiest starting saw I've got. Of your three choices I've run two a 359 and the 156 and I'd give the edge to the 156 over the 359 and the 359 is a good saw, in the husky line it would be my choice for a do it yourself firewood saw. I only run one echo and wasn't impressed but it was a little 520, echo makes some good saws, I've just never been a fan.

Do a search for Stihl Crazy's threads on efco, he has had some excellent post about their durability.

I suggest that you focus on the 359 and 156, if you are looking at new saws - or maybe wait for the new 60cc Huskys, if you can.

Looking for a nice used MS361 is another option.

359 vs 156

For power the 156 wins.
For ease of maintenance the 359 wins (clip topcover).
For durability its a draw.
For warranty its a no brainer-156 wins.

Don't buy one...

...buy *two* saws. They got deals galore out there now for refurb huskys. Get two saws for the price of one saw.

--edit: just looked on ebay, husky 455 free shipping for $328 bones, throw in another 200 bucks, same deal, free shipping for a refurb 445. So you can get two saws, a limber/trimmer and a firewood chunker for 528 dollars delivered to your door, and for what it is worth, they claim a small manufacturer's warranty of 90 days.

Last edited:
I have a 359 and just love it, now that it has the correct carb on it. I use and sell around 50 full cords a season. I run the 18 inch bar with Stihl full chisel chain; very fast in the wood. This is my second season on this saw, and have had absolutely NO issues with it. Only issue was that there had been a recall on the carb( came with a walbro and should have had a Zama).
I fell, buck and limb with it. Also have a 55 rancher. Not as fast but still a nice saw.

I second Sawtroll on a used 361. Might be the perfect one saw plan for firewood cutting. But you really could'nt go wrong with either. The 361 will give you the power edge and has great antivibe and service centers are everywhere.

I missed one on CL the other day for 250 bucks and it was excellent. I have one already but I'd have two for that price. :msp_sleep:

i have a 359 and have cut 60-70 cord with it with no promblems its a good saw how about a makita 6401

No question at all in my mind. Go with the Husky 359. It's the same saw as the 357XP, except with a non-Mahle P&C. It is a pro saw for all intents and purposes.

:agree2: Out of the three, this is your pick. The rancher should not even be considered.

I don't know anything about the Efco saws. I never did really like a 359 too much either, but they're decent. 455 sucks, rather have a 290 but they're not my favorite either. I take the 359 out of the choices.

I suggest that you focus on the 359 and 156, if you are looking at new saws - or maybe wait for the new 60cc Huskys, if you can.

Looking for a nice used MS361 is another option.

:agree2::agree2: i had the 600p for a while until i got the 361 and the 600p went out the door,,, the 600p is heavy for the power,,,if you can find a good or NOS 361 then you will be very happy with it

I will secong the husky 359, i own one and its great! I use mine for small to large tree felling. I usually run 28in bar with Oregon LGX chisel chain. But i have a 16in bar and chain for limbin and cuttin small trees. Hands down the 359 is the best of the ones mentioned.

Back