Buying a used ECHO 4600, is it a good saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun32

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had a post a few days ago looking for a small saw for use around the house. I decided to check with my local dealer for a saw, he has a used echo 4600 for 100 bucks. The saw is 10 years old, has a 20 inch bar, and the dealer said the saw has had minimal use, was bought new from him 10 years ago and has cut around 10 trees. He will sell me the saw with the 20 inch bar, and a new 16 inch bar and chain for 140 bucks, or 100 for the saw and 20 inch bar. Sounds like a good deal, any advice? I looked at the saw today, it does look nice. Am I better off going with this used one over a 14 inch new saw? He cleaned the carb when it was traded in and said it runs great, and he is an echo dealer so I could service it with him. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Yeah it seems like a good deal, only thing I'm wondering, is the 46cc a little overkill for what I'm looking for? I will use the saw an average of 3 times a year, for about 5 hours a year total. Either way, I can get this saw for 140 with a 20 and 16bar, or a new echo 14" 30cc for 199, I'm thinking the 4600 is the better deal, just don't want anything too big since it will be used a few times for branches and cutting trees after storms.

x2 sounds good to me, I would run the small bar. my little echo's have served me well :biggrin:

46cc is still a small saw. If he was trying to sell you a stihl 044, then that would be over kill.
With what is offered, you would be stupid to go for a 30cc POS over the 46cc pro saw.
I would never run a saw less than 40cc myself. Below that they are just too under powered, and my 9# super ez is light enough already. The only issue with a big saw is weight. And that only matters if your doing A LOT of cutting.

I'd snag it in a heart beat with the extra bar. I love my little CS-440. Always starts and runs. Great saw for around the house work and you'll never be upset you got a few more CC's.

Go for the 46 with shorter bar.

I've had great service from the smaller echo saws. 8 years of hard use from my 1st "POS" 30cc echo sporting a 12" b/c..so much so, that, when it was needing carb work the dealership didn't have parts on hand,,I just bought another one,,still have it. A 12" b/c chain combo is all it wants and it is great for brushing and limbing the smaller stuff.

I did graduate to a cs400 to replace the cs306 when I stepped up to a 2171 as I found myself using my "trim" saw more than I used to. A 14" b/c combo is about all that saw wants, @ 40cc's .

Regardless of your purported minimum usage,,there is No Replacement for Displacement,,get the 46!!(and smaller b/c combo)

45cc saw... get the 16" bar and leave the longer bar at the dealership.

For the rest have the dealer turn on the saw and cut some wood in front of you before committing: these late 80's Echo's are very well built saws, but like all equipment the fuel delivery system (big words!) may have degraded if the saw has been stored with any fuel in it. All fuel lines/vents/etc are still available from Echo and I think both the Walbro and Zama rebuild kits are still available, so it's not a big deal, but there's no point pay full price for a saw whose fuel lines have long turned to mush. ;)

Back