Buying new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfox

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Newbie!!!!! I am wanting to purchase another saw for the fleet. I do not bleed any certain color, but only want to get a "Pro" saw so it will last. I already have MS-180c, Husky 345, and Dolmar 115i. The Dolmar has made a HUGE amount of saw dust over the last 15 years with only routine cleaning and 1 broken handle mount. Just purchased the other 2 in the last year. I use the 115 with 20" bar to handle the bigger stuff, the replacement will take its place (Super 44A just too much to handle) My question is, would the PS-5105 be considered a "Pro" grade saw? I have been very happy with the previous one, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Just want to make sure, since 346XP=$500, 260 "Pro"=$500, (Seems a little underpowered for 20" by specs), but the local dealer will sell me a brand new PS-5105 for $385. That's comparable to "Occasional use saws".

Thanks,

Mike

Dolmar ps-5105 is a pro saw for sure.

If I were you I'd maybe look at a bigger saw though? I wouldn't want to buck up 20" stuff all day long with a 5105, and while it will limb faster than your 345, any pro 50cc saw is still somewhat close to your 345.

If your using a 20" b/c and looking at stihl i would go with a 362. I have a muff modded 361 with 20" b/c and it has worked fine.

Oops, should have mentioned 90% of the wood I cut is probably around 14" or less. Very occasional bigger stuff. Want to keep with a smaller saw that will have the ability to take a few very occasional larger swipes. Will primarily use 16" bar and keep a spare 20" when i would need it. I have access to very large equipment if needed. Close family friend has a large tree service with all sorts of "Big Stuff", event ones with 72" bars.

Oops, should have mentioned 90% of the wood I cut is probably around 14" or less. Very occasional bigger stuff. Want to keep with a smaller saw that will have the ability to take a few very occasional larger swipes. Will primarily use 16" bar and keep a spare 20" when i would need it. I have access to very large equipment if needed. Close family friend has a large tree service with all sorts of "Big Stuff", event ones with 72" bars.

Most of what I cut is in this range too. My 5100 is the saw I reach for first (036 isnt far behind) most days. Its a great saw & definitely a "pro grade."

The only concern with this series is RPM but as long as you have a basic knowledge of tuning a saw's carb you should be fine. The 5105 worked out an air problem that sometimes led to the P&C issues in the 5100 FWIW.

Sounds to me like the 5105 is the perfect saw for you. I have had one for about 6 months now and love it. I have a 24" bar on it and it cuts fine. I think I'm probably the only guy in Oregon that owns one though and the dealer network here is basically non existent. The shop I bought mine through had not been a dealer for Dolmar for very long and when I went in to order it, I actually taught him a few things about them. I know, I know the 24" bar is big but it works for what I use it for and that's all that matters to me.

My vote is for the 5105 all the way. Spend the extra on extra chains, oil, PPE etc.

RL

Can't help you with the selection, but you sound like a guy who takes care of his equipment so any decent saw should last you a good long while. Any chance on giving any of these saws a trial run before you make your purchase? This might help you decide.

Sounds to me like the 5105 is the perfect saw for you. I have had one for about 6 months now and love it. I have a 24" bar on it and it cuts fine.

Are you running skip chain on that 24"? I've got a 5105 and have been contemplating putting a 24 on it, but wasn't sure how well it would perform. I don't use a 24 that often, but I'd sure like to have it in the truck when I am in the timber and come across a really nice but huge chunk of wood!

Thanks!

might want to consider echo saws too like the cs-370, its a fantastic saw

it is a fantastic little saw, but that is just it, it's little. too little. i would step up to at least the 530. if it were me, i would even go up to the 600p. cheaper, WAY, WAY cheaper than a husky346 and about 150 bones cheaper than the 361/362's around here.
if it was only for a 50cc saw i would pick the dolmar 5105 or the echo echo 530.

Thanks for the info. I really wanted to get the Dolmar anyway. Just wanted to make sure since it was really pro grade since the price was so much cheaper. I dont know if this is normal, or this guy just sells them cheap. He also has a large selection of parts, bars, chains, etc. Even maintenance parts for the 115i when they are out of production. The local STIHL dealers all charge the same price for the saws, but the nearest ones rape you on accessories and parts. Almost 40 bucks for a 18" chain? Also the box stores have helped with losing local Husky dealers. I've heard too many people who don't know any better thinking they are getting commercial grade saws from TSC because they are orange with the H logo.

it is a fantastic little saw, but that is just it, it's little. too little. i would step up to at least the 530. if it were me, i would even go up to the 600p. cheaper, WAY, WAY cheaper than a husky346 and about 150 bones cheaper than the 361/362's around here.
if it was only for a 50cc saw i would pick the dolmar 5105 or the echo echo 530.

:agree2::agree2::agree2: the cs-530 screams with a 16" bar and can run up to a 20" bar

mfox

You should try ordering your stuff thru the site sponsor Baileys <top of page> The woodland pro chain is very affordable and they should have a bar for you also. Welcome to AS. Steve:cheers:

You really need to take a close look at a 346xp. For the last 9 years this has been my only saw, cutting 10-15 cords a year. I had the old Poulad but never wanted to use it, after the 346 :) This saw is a beast in 16" and under wood! Most of the wood I cut is under 16-18" with some up to 24". There are a lot of good saws out there, but the 346xp is a legend.

Take a look... :cheers:

Thanks for the info. I really wanted to get the Dolmar anyway. Just wanted to make sure since it was really pro grade since the price was so much cheaper. I dont know if this is normal, or this guy just sells them cheap. He also has a large selection of parts, bars, chains, etc. Even maintenance parts for the 115i when they are out of production. The local STIHL dealers all charge the same price for the saws, but the nearest ones rape you on accessories and parts. Almost 40 bucks for a 18" chain? Also the box stores have helped with losing local Husky dealers. I've heard too many people who don't know any better thinking they are getting commercial grade saws from TSC because they are orange with the H logo.

Its definitely pro grade. Sounds to me like your dealer is selling them at the old price (i think it was last year or early this year that they raised their prices about $100 across the board?) so you're getting a great deal.

When I bought my 5100 (it was $450 up here in canada) the comparable Stihl & husky models were right around $600. I was told the vast difference in price was more to do with Dolmar still trying to find its niche in north america - and that people just are willing to buy more for something with Husky or Stihl on the cover.

Im sure this will change over time (as evidenced by the price increase) but for now, its still a great deal for a solid saw.

I give $400 for my 5105. I don't use it much but what I have used it for it did great. It surprised me with the power it has at 50cc. I'm used to using 70-90cc saws most of the time so I thought I would be disappointed in its power but have not been.

Latest posts

Back