Buying standing firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did get treated rather badly but it was deserved.

This is a great site, you can get a lot of good advice (and some bad), contributors to posts are always more than welcome but they are expected _contribute_ to the discussion.

Please stick around.

Harry K

I just meant I will not respond to you or oldtimer anymore.

I did contribute...from the standpoint of a landowner. Maybe you do not own any woodlands.

I just meant I will not respond to you or oldtimer anymore.

I did contribute...from the standpoint of a landowner. Maybe you do not own any woodlands.

I think the point is clear that the land owner does not share your view that he does all the work himself. From the OP, it's made clear the landowner wants to make money and have someone else do the work.

That's why you got jumped on a little with your comments. While your views are valid for your land, they just don't apply to this scenario.

No need to get offended, it's just that "contributions" that aren't applicable to the question at hand aren't really worth a whole lot when it comes to answering said question.

That's a lot of work for one man.

I'd cruise the 14 acres, get an estimate of how many cords per acre there is, find your total for the 14 acres and add 15%.

Always bid high, that way if it takes longer than you expect, you're covered.

And get everything in writing.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents...

Around here, I rarely find a piece of ground that it is worthwhile cutting standing wood for firewood in any sort of quantity. I typically sell the logs off and use my waste for firewood. The problem with 14 acres (typically) is getting the wood out at a low cost. Not sure of your exact situation, but around here this sounds like a service that would charged for, not paid; especially if there is a time constraint.

The forest service around here charges $10 a cord, and for that the logs are down, limbed, dry, and by the side of the road.

And you can get the wood for free from a tree service. You haul it instead of them, so it saves them work. The only thing is you *have* to go get the wood when they say it is down. (Their customers don't want it sitting there for a week, they want it gone.)

I'd cruise the 14 acres, get an estimate of how many cords per acre there is, find your total for the 14 acres and add 15%.

Always bid high, that way if it takes longer than you expect, you're covered.

And get everything in writing.

YES.

My old contract boss would always bid INSANELY high for stuff he didn't really want to do (survival surveys, etc), reasoning "if I'm gonna do that sort of thing, I might as well get PAID to do it". It's a good policy to make sure that you have AT LEAST vehicle/equipment maintenance and insurance/L&I covered BEFORE profit on a bid.

Back