Buzzsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toqua

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a buzzsaw this year and it works well. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me about sharping it.? thanks

as long as the curf is set (one tooth bent in one tooth bent out)
a simple flate file pulled along each tooth will be good

Thanks ryan.The curf seems to be good at least it looks the same as when it was new just a little while ago

If you think filing a chainsaw is tedious just wait till you tear into this baby.

Really? I've sharpened mine a couple times with good success, it just took time, and I can't file my saw chains worth a ****!

SR

Really? I've sharpened mine a couple times with good success, it just took time, and I can't file my saw chains worth a ****!

SR
I suppose I should have used a different word than tedious. I do decent on a chain but the circular deal you have to come off with reversed angles between sides. even when doing one face of the tooth. That is what bugged me most and it takes forever to get back to the number one tooth. I hope that explains it, I know what I'm saying but can't put it into words. If I hadn't watched Pap do it when I was a kid I'd have taken it somewhere. I've managed to keep it sharp enough for 45 years but have yet to win a prize with my technique. Buzz saws ain't the safest thing to run be careful. Old lady tries to make me do dishes every time I make her help lift logs so I don't use it that much any more anyways.

Nope guys, I suspect there's more to it. If you truly have a Buzzsaw which is an alias for a Cordwood Saw, it probably can be identified by large teeth and about one TPI, you've got Hook Angle, Set, Face Bevel, and Top Bevel to consider. There's the gullet and smoothing the back of the adjacent tooth, too I think.
You may have years of improper sharpening to deal with if you want to optimize it. I can think of five other types of circular sawblades off hand. There's combination, fine tooth cutoff, regular cutoff, four-tooth& a raker combination, rip circular, friction metal cutting and flooring (non-ferrous metal cutting). Then you go into carbides.

First ID it for sure and we'll go from there.

Reverse angle falls into both chain and buzzers I guess. Best way for me to say it is the damn file don't fit my hand and arm when I'm doing the one side of it. Just awkward for me on one side.

post a pic of your saw!
I have no way to post a pic but I got it new and its a woodsmen pro 250 there are some pics on there web site. I have only cut about 3 or 4 cord with it and its dull.What I cut was locust that was pretty dry.Thanks everbody for replying to my post

Here's one of mine...

standard.jpg

SR

Rob, That would be a nice set up to have... Safe enough and would be nice for one man type operation. I have one that we set up on an old JD B. Run two 2x6's out from the tractor in front and run it off of a belt. I picked it up years ago, back then my dad set the blade on the end of a fresh cut oak stump and reset the teeth by tapping each one with a hammer. Hat to admit how many times I've sharpened that blade by eye. I even poured new cast lead bearings for it so now you know how old the saw is.

Here's one of mine...

standard.jpg

SR

Rob, That would be a nice set up to have... Safe enough and would be nice for one man type operation.

It does cut pretty good, I just don't use it anymore...

I changed how I handle slab wood, so neither buzz rig get's used.

SR

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447536185.313321.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447536195.665676.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447536203.333362.jpg

A couple of pics of my buzz saw it was originally a belt drive pto tractor one
Instead of hooking it up to my tractor I attached it to an old trailer for mobility and added a motor I had laying around
Works great
I have a wood stop on the bench so I just put the pieces of wood that are too long
For the wood stove on there and the stop lets me make sure they will got when cut

This saw has a ordinary blade, suppose i can cut for years. Had it sharpened in a shop that specializes in such work.

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

Back