CA A tree trimmer dies when he is pulled into a wood chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch. Dude I actually felt that. One of my guys fed a decent branch skinny end first which had a pretzel shaped end. I was 3 metres from the the chipper and that nasty piece of work slammed me in the ribs knocking me sideways against the house. I slid down like the wall like Danny Green had just planted a powerhouse right on me. If I had been hit that hard on the chin I would be in hospital still. Hope you recovered 100%

Fortunately I made a full recovery. I had to get stitches under the chin and a week of light duty rolling around with the grapple truck sawing big logs and I was good as new. I think it might have knocked some sense into me. The owner of the company told me I was lucky I didn't have my tongue in the way, said he had know some to bite their tongue off in the same circumstance. I was feeding limb logs from the side, had fed the crooked log and was moving away to go for another log and the limb pitched before I could get out of the way. Just goes to show you how fast something can go wrong. That was around 15 years ago. I try to be a little smarter than the log these days. :crazy1:

I'm Waiting Smartass

Ekka is currently banned. You may be waiting for some time.

If I had to guess, I would suggest he was baiting me regarding my worksite practise of two men at a time working the chipper. He and I have a history of differences of opinion on OHS issues.

Last edited:
It is my theory that what you describe is the first half of a fatal chipper accident. Getting hit hard enough to either knock you out or at least to stun you. No amount of training or safety switches will save you if you are unconscious, face down on a branch being drawn into a chipper. A work buddy on the other hand can.

Once again. Don't chip solo.

Not so, I was beside the chipper, no way I could have been pushed into it. It was a decidous top. As soon as the butt caught it was sucked in very fast and a branch clipped the side of my head as I was turning away, off too the side, and much lower than usual because of the steep driveway. I should have explained better, sorry.

Not so, I was beside the chipper, no way I could have been pushed into it. It was a decidous top. As soon as the butt caught it was sucked in very fast and a branch clipped the side of my head as I was turning away, off too the side, and much lower than usual because of the steep driveway. I should have explained better, sorry.

Sorry clearance, I didnt mean that you were in danger specifically, I mean that, in view of the OP, being struck by a branch and getting stunned or even knocked out is the likely 1st part of a fatal chipper accident.

Gotta love the push sticks

He was probably cramming dead crap in a dull chipper.
One piece broke, with his weight behind it sucking him in.

My luck, it would take off the top of my head and arms,
throwing me back out and I survive.
garfieldhangover.jpg

Sorry clearance, I didnt mean that you were in danger specifically, I mean that, in view of the OP, being struck by a branch and getting stunned or even knocked out is the likely 1st part of a fatal chipper accident.

No offence. Anyways, if you were knocked out, standing in a safe spot, you would just fall to the ground. I figure these accidents where people went into the chipper they were doing something wrong, like standing on the apron, puching stuff with thier feet, that kind of thing. :mad:

did you see { a hispanic worker} that says it all you cant teach brains tom trees

for a couple years now, i've been reading in this section of AS as well as in the 'injury' section of tree industry magazines. many hispanics being injured. bring in low-payed inexperienced workers with little or no training and we have a recipe for disaster. just wondering, do illegal workers qualify for workman's comp? it sounds like this guy had some experience under his belt, though. let your guard down for a sec or two and this job can kill ya. este trabajo es muy peligroso. condolencias a la familia.

for a couple years now, i've been reading in this section of AS as well as in the 'injury' section of tree industry magazines. many hispanics being injured. bring in low-payed inexperienced workers with little or no training and we have a recipe for disaster. just wondering, do illegal workers qualify for workman's comp? it sounds like this guy had some experience under his belt, though. let your guard down for a sec or two and this job can kill ya. este trabajo es muy peligroso. condolencias a la familia.

I really can't see this guy being an illegal if he was working for the city. Sounds to me like he was a naturalized citizen and a pretty experienced worker by all accounts. Sad situation. I feel for the family.

did you see { a hispanic worker} that says it all you cant teach brains tom trees

for a couple years now, i've been reading in this section of AS as well as in the 'injury' section of tree industry magazines. many hispanics being injured. bring in low-payed inexperienced workers with little or no training and we have a recipe for disaster. just wondering, do illegal workers qualify for workman's comp?

Yes, unskilled labor is more likely to become injured/killed, and they tend to come from poor immigrant demographics. That does not call for the bigoted remark of your first post :rolleyes:

"No Chinese or Irish allowed":censored:

The fellah was a veteran muni worker, I'll vote for the complacency. I'd like to know what type of gloves he was wearing...

Back