CA Black Oak Milled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I spent Saturday at a friends milling a very large CA Black Oak tree that went down in a storm last year. The tree trunk piece I milled measured 48" across and was just over 5' long. Milled it all at 1-1/2" to be used later for furniture table tops and quilt hangers for my wife.

Here are pictures of the cleaned boards. Where we milled this tree was surrounded by poison oak, it was not cool! There is still one log left that is 10' long and 48" across I can still get to mill. Looks like a 52" bar is in order. These boards measured anywhere from 26-30" wide. I had to use my mini mill to make the tree narrower to accommodate my 30" max with of my 38" bar.

jerry-

Pictures of milled boards.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Our Black Oak differs a LOT....guess the difference is due to location and minerals available during the trees growth? As our Black Oak here in Arkansas is really close to the coloring found in Black Walnut.

Those are some great looking slabs, like the super freckling on 'em!!!

Scott B

Jerry 48 '' x 120" x 1 1/2 is kinda heavy , ya don't want to carry it very far without help . Just teasing , those are nice slabs bout 100 lb ? thats work in this heat . Our black oak just has black streaks and the largest one i remember was about 20". Your gonna have to build a black oak box for the big bars ,with gold hinges . Have two stiff drinks then don't look at the price just push the button ,gonna need chain to :laugh::laugh: .

Jerry 48 '' x 120" x 1 1/2 is kinda heavy , ya don't want to carry it very far without help . Just teasing , those are nice slabs bout 100 lb ? thats work in this heat . Our black oak just has black streaks and the largest one i remember was about 20".

Interesting that the black oak out east has those streaks. This stuff has some nice flecking in the wood. I already have someone who wants me to make a coffee table from one of the pieces. Gonna have to wait until it drys. I really want to get more pieces from the 10' piece still up there, but I'm going to need to bring an army and a few trucks just to get the slabs out. The log is to nice of wood to let rot.

Your gonna have to build a black oak box for the big bars ,with gold hinges.

This stuff is too heavy to make a bar box. I'm think aluminum would be lighter. :)

[quote Have two stiff drinks then don't look at the price just push the button ,gonna need chain to :laugh::laugh: .[/QUOTE]

After moving this stuff, I don't know if two drinks are enough. I used a hand truck to move them around. I also have a few high school teenagers who like helping me move this stuff. One wants me to teach him to mill, good kid.

jerry-

Just thought I'd show you what the Arkansas Black Oak looks like, of course this piece was sprayed with my waterhose to clean off the chips.

007.jpg

Wish it had the flecks like ours did though, I'd have made a few more pennies on the sale!

Scott B

Wish it had the flecks like ours did though, I'd have made a few more pennies on the sale!

Scott,

That wood is much darker than our version out here. The pieces I milled with flecking were the quarter-saw pieces. I got all the ends sealed yesterday and stacked, what a job doing it by myself. Thanks for the picture, it's good to see various types of wood from around our country and the world. When I had the pieces standing out in my driveway and washed, my neighbors said they could smell the oak wood three houses down the street.

jerry-

I was just noticing how few Black Oaks we have up at this camp. (off of 108 at 6000') This place used to have tons of it and no poison oak!
Those are nice looking slabs.

Post 2

Here are a few pictures of where we mill this black oak. The crew was my son Chris and grandson Antonio and John the land owner. We had a pretty good time.

jerry-

Check out the sawdust. It was good at covering up the poison oak that surrounded us.

attachment.php

Here I am using the mini-mill for cutting a straight edge so I can use my big mill. Check out the two logs behind me. Think I'm going to wait until late fall or spring to go back for these pieces. That poison oak is going to be real ripe in the next few weeks.

attachment.php

Here is the crew after we were done milling for the day. Got 14 total slab cuts and the I think I could have gotten about 3 more before I would have had to sharpen my chain.

attachment.php

All that green you see around me is poison oak. So far none of us caught any poison oak.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Great series of photo's!

Sure wish that ivy had been back a few dozen yards or so.....I use to be able to laydown and crawl around in the stuff, but nowadays I can't walk by it.

Scott B

Great series of photo's!

Sure wish that ivy had been back a few dozen yards or so.....I use to be able to laydown and crawl around in the stuff, but nowadays I can't walk by it.

Scott B

Scott,

Not me, we had a creek down behind our house and my mom always knew when I was down there because I'd catch the stuff. The worst I ever caught it was when the rancher on the other side of the creek was burning his fields, that's when you could where we lived. The smoke was blowing our direction and before I knew it was around my eyes/nose/mouth, it was everywhere. Mom took me to the hospital and they ended up giving me steroids to clear it up. It worked, but it took about a week to clear it up. Didn't make me any stronger...

jerry-

The paper paint suit for painters work good for places like that . You neaver get less sensitive be careful . Baileys have tecku works good for after shower . could you spray the area with round up then go back in a week ,a gallon is 15.00 $ but cheaper than a day in the hospital .

Nice wood! Where are you doing the milling? Long time, no see.
Frank

Hi Frank,

Yes it's been a long time. I still remember that BBQ you hosted, it was great. Guy's, this guy can BBQ!

I milled the black oak up near my place in the hills near Railroad Flat at a friends place. There are still two more large 48" across sections of the tree I mill, but will have to wait until I get a larger bar for my mill. I'm thinking I'm going to need a 52" bar easily. Keep in touch.

jerry-

The paper paint suit for painters work good for places like that . You neaver get less sensitive be careful . Baileys have tecku works good for after shower . could you spray the area with round up then go back in a week ,a gallon is 15.00 $ but cheaper than a day in the hospital .

John, those suits are a good idea. As for spraying, there is way too big of an area to spray. I'm going to look into getting some of the suits we could wear. Bet I'd loose a few pounds sweating in those things.

jerry-

John, those suits are a good idea. As for spraying, there is way too big of an area to spray. I'm going to look into getting some of the suits we could wear. Bet I'd loose a few pounds sweating in those things.

jerry-

If you spray, the dead ivy still has urushiol ( the active ingredient of the skin irritant) for two years so that isn"t really an option.

Latest posts

Back