Cab Over Dumptrucks ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thor's H,
I am talking diesel power. It is really easy to get big hp on the Cummins engine. There are guys in the US running 600+ rear wheel hp, street legal and some even daily drivers.
Here is one running his 600+ Dodge down the 1/4 mile.
http://www.piersdiesel.com/video/Fletcher10-13.mpg

Once you start to go over 450 hp you generally need to go to twin turbos to be able to tow or the exhaust gas temps get too high. Hot rod diesels are a passion of mine, even more so than tree equipment.

heres a pic of my renault magnum tractor unit - 550hp 18 ltr mack engine.

Last edited:
Koa, just think of all those potential customers passing you and seeing your signwriting. If you kept up with traffic only a couple people would see you!

My truck is dead slow, a turbo and a splitter box would help but I do so much cold running I couldnt torture it like that. I used to drive 500hp truck and trailer units loaded up 45tonne. I know what crawling up hills is like, guess Im used to it! Whats your gas bill like in comparison between the two trucks?

Timber, I think of it the other way. People in a rush and see your underpowered rig holding up traffic, getting pissed off at you. My Dodge 3500, which is almost always loaded or pulling something gets about 8.6 mph. The Dodge 2500 gets about 15 mph. Where I live is mostly short drives, lots of hills (Hawaii is actually the top of a mountain).
My ideal truck would be a 4X4 cabover, 14 ft. bed, 9 spd stick with a 450hp/1400lb torque diesel and would get at least 12 mpg.

Koa- My mate runs a truck just like you want...
Mercedes 19-38 4x4 cabover. 350hp, but 2100lbs torque. can run at 40 tonnes gross, he has a 28ft trailer behind. truck is 19 tonnes gross, and runs with a 16 tonne meter folding timber crane on the back. it is without a doubt the best treework rig i've ever seen or used. only problem is the price. About £50,000 sterling for the chassiscab alone.

At an (exorbitant) price...
how much are those dodge trucks? is the black one the same as your chip truck?

The new Dodge trucks w/diesel and 4X4 run about $35-42K MSRP depending on options. My '96 was bought new for $29000, no 4X4 but pretty loaded with options. The 2001 was not bought new, but purchased from a guy who keep it in immaculate condition. I modified both trucks after I bought it. I located the thread where I posted one picture of my 96 Dodge. Here it is.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment_22799.php

Wow! that dodge would cost me 23 grand stirling with all the options. that is unbelieveable. whats the gross weight and the carrying capacity of that truck?

GVW of my chip truck is only 10500 lbs. Believe it or not, I once carried 13800 lbs of roofing material. I drove on the scale at the dump site and it read 22000 lbs. My truck with all my gear in the tool boxes weighs 8200 lbs. I normally weigh in at the dump at around 13000 lbs., sometimes 15000. I know my truck gets grossly overloaded, but it has been for almost 10 years and still going strong.

Haha! that would probably get you a prison sentence over here. its a £1500 fine for the operator plus £1500 fine for the driver for every Tonne overweight here. and there are dept of transport spot checks everywhere...
I should move to Hawaii ;-)

Thor's Hammer said:
Haha! that would probably get you a prison sentence over here. its a £1500 fine for the operator plus £1500 fine for the driver for every Tonne overweight here. and there are dept of transport spot checks everywhere...
I should move to Hawaii ;-)

wow, i saw a DOT guy parked at the doughnut shop 2 months ago and have only just now stopped complaining about government opression of small business :)

I don't know of anyone with a 1 ton truck who has ever been checked by DOT. No need to stop at weigh stations with that size truck or smaller where I live.

Back