CAD is history

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CAD never goes away, just goes into remission, you just don't know it yet. Have you ever run a large gear drive saw like a old Homelite or McCulloch? Run one of these and tell me your CAD is gone.:wink2:

Cut some nice big hickory today

If an Echo fits, something is wrong with your other saws! :msp_cool:

Nice big fat rounds I had to roll into the box to tote back. Wasn't any "picking them up" going on, tell ya whut... Seemed to cut just fine. An oval section of log, approx 30" at the widest then around 24" at the narrowest. Then I took it over to what is left of my third largest tree I ever felled, a red oak at around 30 something inches, took a fat round off that thing just for grins.

I got a deal on these echos from a guy who was fixing to go into small scale firewood business because he was unemployed, then he got a job offer out of state doing what he really likes to do better, equipment operator, so he was having a big yard sale and selling off his extra stuff (had mowers and appliances and household stuff and his goldwing motorcycle for sale that day as well). It was too late for him to take them back to the store for a refund, so I got them brand new never used at *quite* an attractive price because I agreed to take both of them.. I went to the stihl dealer to look at his offerings in my price range, with what cash I had to spend on a new larger for me saw, then to the husky place...nope, I got two 60cc matching saws instead of one saw from either of the "big names".

I don't "race" saws, nor am I a professional logger in the pacific northwest, these seem to work perfectly fine for what I have to cut, with a twenty inch bar. Maybe they don't rev as high, but they still cut just fine and starting them is about as easy as it gets with saws.

But like I said, I would like an additional saw of larger displacement some time in the future. I wouldn't use it all the time, but would be nice to have, I have some projects coming up with really *large* diameter trees I have to deal with. Something that would run a 36 hard might work..

If I find a deal on a stihl or husky or other, sure. Just depends. I buy deals, I don't have the loot to just decide like ..I want a new 880 or 3120 and go drop the cash for it. I get wicked good deals or buy used, most always used actually. I'm semi retired on a low fixed income so I watch the "investment" money closely.

I have a little husky worked great for years and years, and I cut most of my firewood with it, just a 36cc and it just now needs a minor part, the oiler assembly or plunger, that's it. Still cranks and runs good, and still oils, just not enough. I clean my saws good all the time and am relentless about running sharp chains, that seems to be the main criteria of having a saw that works. Tell ya, I'd rather have a small cheap saw that is clean and sharp then some big saw that is clapped out dipped in oily dirty crap with beyond dull chain, just so I can waltz around and slam my chest and grunt and act all macho about it.

I guess some guys have enough money they can beat on their equipment and run much larger than they really need or much more expensive (trucks or saws) but that ain't me.

I'm not real brand loyal, I am *wallet* loyal, if I need something I look around and grab the best deal at the time I can find, and right now, echos give a lot of bang for the buck, especially when you can grab one at a discount (like those refurb huskys appear to be good deals now).

Just like I like fiskars stuff. I know there are way more expensive axes out there....fiskars works fine at my budget level. I busted up around 1/3rd of a cord tonight before dark after cutting and doing all my other chores today..didn't have to touch any sledge, wedge or heavy maul, just that light , fast, cheap fiskars supersplitter. Oh noes, I didn't use a 5 grand power splitter or some designer 400 dollar axe...man, I don't care, the wood is busted and stacked with what I got.

Best bang for the buck rules, the correct size tool for the job rules, I don't have to run designer nothing or oversize nothing to get my work done, and my clothes don't have yuppie labels all over them, and I don't wear baseball caps with some doofus "brand loyalty" advertising on them either.

I know you are just razzing me too, that's cool. All I can say is I am impressed with the echos and would buy another if/when another major saw purchase is needed, and I can find a deal on one. if not, some other brand, if it is a deal and a known quantity with a good track record and it looks good..I'll go that way. I'm trying to just switch back to used saws now and build runners out of junkers, this is fun, too, and my fixed 295 got a good workout today.

No more saws for me, at least for awhile.. There have been a few on the local cl's cheap that I didn't bother with, maybe somebody on here got the 346 for $75?
My 5 saw plan lately has been 10532 262xp ms361 044 and 2171 and I don't see buying more saws helping me sell more wood or heat the house better.

CAD whats this? I hope I don"t catch it, is there a shoot like a vaccine or pills to keep me safe. now back to saws just need one more I promise only one when I get it done finish end of story!!!

Uh huh....

Count, ya think it's over becasue it is incubating and the symptoms lessen for a bit after an aquisition.

Give it a couple days of cutting with the new 346, and it will flare up worse than it ever has.

Start sourcing a Big bore saw now. Shortly, your life will seem empty without one.;)

Good luck with the denial angle. It usually results in falling off the wagon hard and an expensive trip to a Dealer.

CAD is managed, never cured.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The only way to get completely over CAD is to find another money consuming hobby like reloading or purchasing guns or wild women but still CAD may flare up from time to time

I went thru the denial stage also. Now I'm scouring the countryside looking for big vintage saws.

You'll see Count. It never really ends.

I think you may have something new also. TSS: thread starting syndrome. :D I seem to read piles of threads started by you anymore. You seem to have alot to say and I admit, I do enjoy reading most all of it.

I hear you and wish you luck. HOWEVER, CAD is insidious and lurks in the shadows of men's souls. Beware and be prepared.

I agree with this statement I got a 361 in 09 and that cured it for awhile but now im back and still wishing I had more saws. Chainsaw seems like the perfect engine to tinker on cause motorcycles get really expensive and RC cars are just too damn small unless you get the 1/5th scale I guess but those are as much as a new 660.

and you can actually do something productive with your saw that helps to rationalize the purchases.

True instead of just having fun you can also get the yard cleaned up and have firewood to burn! Then when you split the wood its also a good workout. Whats not to love?

I Must have it Really Bad, I am buying saws and keeping them at other peoples houses. I have two at my bosses House and Two at one of my employees house. one good thing is I get all the wood they cut, so I'm cool with supplying the tools.

I say this: CAD is when you don`t have the right saw.

So i went to the doctor the other day because i had the shakes and some mild anxiety attacks. Doc says i have severe C.A.D. What is that???!!! Well, the doctor says, its a disorder, well more of an addiction. There is no cure, but one thing you need to keep your anxiety attacks at bay is MORE COWBELL!!! After a short laugh and a tiny sneaky fart he says no you need a new chainsaw!!!!:rock:

So I ask this to my fellow arboristsite members. I need a new saw because well, i have CAD and only one saw. I have a 361 and it cuts through rocks like crazy! Trees too! I cut mostly hard word to supply my house with warmth. Also pursuing a career as an arborist. Wouldnt mind another 60ish cc saw. Any outlook on the 362? What about husky? Im welcome to any opinions that will help me fill my chainsaw void, thanks :cheers:

Back