Call me a Moron!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim1NZ said:
Hey clearance, you think you will be able to apply a pressure bandage, keep pressure on it at all times and get down out of a tree before you bleed to death if you hit a main artery in your leg with a chain saw?

This all being who knows where in the bush or what ever, while your in shock.

Wow mate you must be good.

I reckon you got to were trousers anyway so why not wear ones with protection in them.
Jim, I climb with fallers pants cause I have to, I used to climb in jeans, which I prefer. If you hit a main artery in your leg, it would be close to your bag and I never ever cut anywhere around my bag. I have been cut with saws before, a little 8 stitch on my wrist from a 200t and a bad one on my arm years back from a 266, I am aware of what they can do. Fact of the matter is that people that get cut climbing are cut in the upper body, do you wear a saw protective shirt and gloves?

I have never seen protective shirts and i dont no how you world cut your hand if your using the saw with two hands at all times.

How did you cut your arm and wrist?

There are protective shirts, I have only seen pictures in a Husky catolog, I am sure you could get them down under. How did I cut my wrist, one handing, of course, how else. How did I cut my arm, spacing (thinning small trees), piecework, saw in my hands running, fell into a hole, saw hit roots from an old blowdown, came back at my face but my arm was there. I really have no desire to get the "one handing" arguement going again, don't go there, I don't want to hear it. As I said, saw cuts climbing are usually to the upper body, so it would be in your interest to investigate these protective Husky shirts.

clearance said:
If you hit a main artery in your leg, it would be close to your bag and I never ever cut anywhere around my bag.

:eek:

Hey, what are fallers pants? Got a pic

TreeCo said:
I don't see the need for chaps in the tree either. There are other parts of the body much more at risk than the legs. I would look carefully at climbing positions that leave you cutting with a 200T inches from your legs.

It should be a personal choice.

If legs chaps are made mandatory then whole body chaps are the next logical progression.

no one would hire you here climbing without cut proof pants dan,im not joking.

i know where your coming from but lets be honest legs covered does cover alota bases,im wearing them now after a weeks work,feral yes.

Ekka said:
Can you please explain what sort of pruning you do down thatta ways, what sort of trees etc.

Just interested.

Oh, who'd wear shorts in this job?

We remove plenty of big Eucs, just because they are everywhere, so we also prune plenty too.
We prune Oaks, PinOaks, Elms, Liquidambars, Maples, Ash, etc. Lots of exotic deciduous trees that do well here with the cooler winters.

But hey, in summer we get 40 degrees celsius and still wear chainsaw pants ( no suspenders though;) sorry clearance but reckon they look funny, only ever seen em in old logging photos with the metal full brim hard hats:hmm3grin2orange:

Pruned some freaky tropical looking thing the other day though, should send you a pic and see if you can ID it. Kept really bugging me the whole time that i didnt know what i were pruning:bang:

Trev

Yeah, about the only deciduos stuff up here is Liquidamber and Chinese elm (weed). You dont really see trees without leaves for months on end ... and I've put my foot in it the odd occasion thinking ..

.. oh it must be dead. Derr, it's winter but you forget. :laugh:

TreeCo said:
I believe you. I just think there are parts of the body much more exposed. I see it as a step towards regulating climbing arborist right out of business. As Clearance mentioned, where is the arm, face and upper body protective clothing? Might as well have a one piece coverall. Climbing wearing a fireman's suit comes to mind.

I have seen SIP catalogs from the UK with cut resistant vests, jackets and gloves, it is available. I have considered a left wrist/lower forearm cover made from the same stuff to protect our climbers in the inevitable one handed cut gone wrong situation. Maybe for you that would be a good start at a minimum if you think there is a much higher risk there than in the leg area. I guess here its just become a part of the professional side of the industrys mentality to wear chainsaw pants. Chainsaw pants have evolved over the years too, and the latest stihl pants are so lightweight/vented on the back of the legs that it just about negates the thickness on the front. IMO denim jeans are probly as hot coz they dont breath well. If im not using a chainsaw, just hand pruning or doing stumps i wear Dickies work pants.

Trev.

Hey i was just wondering, who thinks it would be easy or hard to cut your legs climbing? One or the other, then tell me how much of the time climbing do you spend in spikes?

I mean, wouldn't it be easier to cut your legs while climbing without spikes because you have to position yourself allot differently/irregularly to make your cuts. Besides spike pads would offer some protection too wouldn't they???

Jim1NZ said:
Hey i was just wondering, who thinks it would be easy or hard to cut your legs climbing? One or the other, then tell me how much of the time climbing do you spend in spikes?

I mean, wouldn't it be easier to cut your legs while climbing without spikes because you have to position yourself allot differently/irregularly to make your cuts. Besides spike pads would offer some protection too wouldn't they???
1) Hard to cut your legs 2) All the time in spikes 3) I suppose 4) Yes, some, hard on the chain though.

Jim

I think you are more likely to cut your legs on the ground than climbing.

But I do think you are more likely to cut your legs when NOT wearing spikes, ie pruning.

I 90% of the time climb with spikes coz hardly anybody wants pruning in this town. Oh, I dont count palm cleaning as pruning, I call it janitor duties for the arborcultural profession. :laugh:

Jim1NZ said:

Ahhhh, the penny just dropped:yoyo: Yeah i see where clearance is coming from now on this one. When up & down a trunk on spikes you wont be cutting anywhere near your legs, duuuhhh. But definitly when working allover the canopy of a tree, pruning, spikeless you do. Thats where i were coming from. So yeah, if you only climb on spikes i can see how youd think it not likely to cut your legs. Not that i think for a minute this should become a "climb with spikes, its safer" thread. Just 2 very different aspects of tree work, with different hazards.

Trev

alanarbor said:
Not in safety standards. Or I should say in enforcement of those standards.

The only time there is any real enforcement is when there is a death or multiple injury.

In some of the bigger metro areas OSHA will partol, but I've not heard of any company getting stopped in my area.

I see companies all the time with NO PPE on site. Shorts and no shirt in the bucket....

I never understood how people work all the time with no ear protection?!?

John Paul Sanborn said:

Ha, I wonder too, especially when they stand right next to that 18" chipper feeding it all day.

Ekka said:
Ha, I wonder too, especially when they stand right next to that 18" chipper feeding it all day.

WHAT DID YOU SAY??? :hmm3grin2orange:

i spent the bucks and got the best Peltor ear muffs i could. double cupped, nitrile rubber seal over the ears, very comfortable.....34 decibel noise reduction, the boss hates em.......cuz i cant hear him :hmm3grin2orange:

John Paul Sanborn said:

It's the arrogance of ignorance, John.

"Yeah, big deal! I've been doing this for years and I hear just fine! Ear protection is for sissies!"

Then they hit their 40s or 50s and wonder why they don't hear as well as they used to.

Too late, bud. You had your hearing, and you had your chance to protect it. Both are gone now.

So, who's the sissy now, you with the hearing aid in both ears, that can't quite make out the voice of his little grandson?

trevmcrev said:
Ahhhh, the penny just dropped:yoyo: Yeah i see where clearance is coming from now on this one. When up & down a trunk on spikes you wont be cutting anywhere near your legs, duuuhhh. But definitly when working allover the canopy of a tree, pruning, spikeless you do. Thats where i were coming from. So yeah, if you only climb on spikes i can see how youd think it not likely to cut your legs. Not that i think for a minute this should become a "climb with spikes, its safer" thread. Just 2 very different aspects of tree work, with different hazards.

Trev

Well done trev, this is exactly the reply i was looking for.

I think if your on a trunk there is less chance you will cut your legs because you simply dont cut near them. Pruning is a lot different, the positioning is different, balance is different, skills are different.

Il stick to my chainsaw trousers.

Back