Call me crazy....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiLL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
But I have fallen hundreds of tress in my life (hardwood, all under 100' or so) and have never once used a wedge.

For one I dont try to fight too much which way its leaning. Two, I make my hinge cut about 1/4-2/3 the way through the tree (depending on the severity of the lean). I cut through until I feel the saw push back out of the cut, this is where the weight of the tree has shifted towards the direction I want it to fall in. Third I pull the sawe out, and make my backcut, and the tree goes over. And it has every single time, where its supposed to.

Am I doing it all that wrong really?

But I have fallen hundreds of tress in my life (hardwood, all under 100' or so) and have never once used a wedge.

For one I dont try to fight too much which way its leaning. Two, I make my hinge cut about 1/4-2/3 the way through the tree (depending on the severity of the lean). I cut through until I feel the saw push back out of the cut, this is where the weight of the tree has shifted towards the direction I want it to fall in. Third I pull the sawe out, and make my backcut, and the tree goes over. And it has every single time, where its supposed to.

Sounds like you know what you are doing all hail the the master :bowdown: a little humility will get you farther...

That's awesome. I'm the same way as you in that every tree that I cut has fallen over. I sometimes use different techniques though. Sometimes I use wedges, other times a rope high in the tree, and sometimes I've even hooked that rope up to the back of my truck and offered a little encouragement to the tree.

I haven't cut hundreds of trees yet, only enough to keep me in about 20 cords of firewood a year. But I see that we are both alive and well to type about our cutting experiences so even though our methods differ, they both work for us. Stay safe.

Come back when you've cut thousands ...... and thousands, hundreds don't mean very much. A typical cutter's day is 40+ hardwoods, so maybe you've had 10 days worth of experience, not enough, so if you think your correct ............... then yes, you are crazy.

Sam

ive been cutting for over 10 years, not professionally though. A lot in land clearing and construction sites. I say hundreds, who knows how many I have cut. Point it, its enough. Maybe not upto the numbers of you guys, but this isnt a pee pee measuring contest

wow you pnw guys are real douches

I'm from Illinois or Kentucky ...... which ever one will claim me. I've cut thousands of trees in each of these states Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, getting close to a thousand in Kentucky, and hundreds in Nebraska.

I use wedges when I need to use wedges and when I don't want a tract of cut timber to look like total crap I do a lot of directional falling so that I don't damage the next crop of little trees that I will cut in 10-15 years. When I cut like this I get more jobs because my tracts of cut timber look very good, some have even stated that they don't look like they have been logged ............ I take that as a compliment.

I have seen and walked and observed tracts that have been cut by those that either lack the skill, pride or desire to have a good looking tract of cut timber as a representation of their work and well it looks like they don't give a rat's rear about their work or future economic success. Those types of loggers or cutters are having trouble getting work right now ....... I'm not.

So you were saying that you have cut a few hundred trees, what point were you trying to make?

Sam

ive been cutting for over 10 years, not professionally though. A lot in land clearing and construction sites. I say hundreds, who knows how many I have cut. Point it, its enough. Maybe not upto the numbers of you guys, but this isnt a pee pee measuring contest

The point is, its enough for you in your mind, but in reality, mathmatically you have just cut about 100 trees per year for a decade ..... less if you are in the 15 year range of experience, so like I said, we cut that in a few days of one year and cut all year long. Moral of the story you are at the stage where you only know enough to let your mouth get you in trouble, which is what has happened here with this thread.

Lot clearing and construction site cutting isn't really the arena where you can showcase the epitome of a cutter's skill, good of you to have pride in your doings though, now carry on.

Sam

my point was i didnt pick up a saw yesterday. Im not trying to challenge anyones manhood (how ubsurd)

And my douche comment was directed with you. I can see your not from the PNW.

I dont do commercial cutting tracts.... it doesnt really matter which way the tree falls for me. I just go the direction of the lean, 99% of the time its a obvious lean. I havent had any problems with the technique I use, nor the people who have shown me it, those of which have also cut down thousands themselves.

Id just like to hear from someone with more falling credentials than myself, that this can be a legitimate way of dropping a tree. I see some guys use wedges in these videos and such around here and I think its ridiculous with how much the tree is leaning.

Last edited:
my point was i didnt pick up a saw yesterday. Im not trying to challenge anyones manhood (how ubsurd)

I dont do commercial cutting tracts.... it doesnt really matter which way the tree falls for me. I just go the direction of the lean, 99% of the time its a obvious lean. I havent had any problems with the technique I use, nor the people who have shown me it, those of which have also cut down thousands themselves.

Id just like to hear from someone with more falling credentials than myself, that this can be a legitimate way of dropping a tree. I see some guys use wedges in these videos and such around here and I think its ridiculous with how much the tree is leaning.

I certainly don't think anyone's manhood has been challenged by your thread, so you're good there.

Don't know which or what videos you are referring to, therefore painting a wide stroke such as you did, covers a lot of very experienced cutters around this forum and therefore you will look like an idiot for writing such a creation.

If you are already very proud of your technique of cutting the simpliest of trees down in the simpliest of circumstances then I'm not sure why you knock the use of the wedges when they are mostly used in situations where its not the simpliest of either circumstances. Possibly you are intoxicated, as I can't see the logic in your thread and you trying to justify it now isn't helping matters out.

I wanted to add this last little statement. Its been my experience with those in your current position of experience is that its like the difference between someone who has been squirrel hunting and a seasoned gun fighter. One has likely handled the "tool" a few hundred times and the other a few thousand. That said, the reality of the matter is that the difference between the two is usually best observed by the one with the "thousands" of experience, as the few hundred guy is just getting into the cloudy vision part of life.

Have fun,

Sam

Last edited:

Look man. If you wanna ask a cutter or a logger a question you don't start off acting like you're the pro. You won't get his respect hence the corresponding response. Such as the ones you've gotten. Even a pro whose been cuttin 30 years doesn't announce his experience that way. You can just tell by the way he talks and acts.

wow you pnw guys are real douches

Actually most of them aren't. Most of them will go out of their way to help and advise anyone who asks. Calling them douches probably won't work out real well for you. Why cut yourself off from a potential source of knowledge?

As far as your falling technique? You're self taught, aren't you?

I AM from the PNW and I don't like what you are calling us. I was even born here.

You ventured onto this forum yourself, and for some reason started out in the "I know more than you" fashion--or at least your post seemed to be that way.

I'm not a faller, or a man. But I guess even I could boast to have fallen "hundreds" of trees without a back cut. Ooops, nope I can't. I didn't use an undercut. You know what I did? I was thinning precommercially.
Do you know what that is??? Put the saw against a little tree, pull trigger, tree goes bye bye.

If you cut the way you are claiming to cut, you'd be fired. Ever heard of skidding? Yarding? You can't just fall trees any old way--known as jackstrawing unless you are falling for a helicopter yarding operation, and even those guys try to work a pattern. If you don't have a nice lay going, it makes for hangups while skidding and yarding. Which adds time to the turn. Which costs $$. Scar up the leave trees, or cause the rigging crew to do so, and you'll hear about it. If you are off on another job, your reputation is going to take a hit. Word gets around.

And while they were firing you, they'd might even take you aside and mention getting killed. Most of the reputable guys will do that. They would probably recommend you find another line of work. They'd be doing you a favor.

Back