Calling all Mac experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samdweezel05

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My last saw purchase was a Mac 1-50 and after doing a compression test I now know that I bought a paper weight. It idles and revs but put it in wood and watch it fall on it's face. It's blowing 75psi. I want to fix it with out spending way more than the saw is worth. I am in need of a P&C and I have found one locally for $70 used. Any one have any places I could look for parts? Not that the $70 is a bad deal but the thought of putting $70 into a saw that is probably only worth $100 running really hurts. I am also looking for a 24" bar or bigger with a .404 chain. It currently wears an origional 16" Mac bar with an original Mac semi chisel chain. Kind of worthless in my mind with an 80cc saw.

How doe's the piston look though the exhaust port.
If it's scored then it will need help. If it looks ok then
the rings might just be stuck. You could disassemble,
free up the rings and put it back together. It may just
need a new set of rings. If the piston has light scoring
it can be cleaned with light sand paper. Give the cylinder
a light hone as well and run it.

Lee

How doe's the piston look though the exhaust port.
If it's scored then it will need help. If it looks ok then
the rings might just be stuck. You could disassemble,
free up the rings and put it back together. It may just
need a new set of rings. If the piston has light scoring
it can be cleaned with light sand paper. Give the cylinder
a light hone as well and run it.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Piston looks pretty good through the exhaust. Another forum member (local guy) had the idea of a stuck ring as well but I have my doubts. I would of course tear it down before I bought anything. I have been reading you posts and I bet you have everything I would ever need. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well I'm not a Mac expert but if the piston looks good you either have a stuck ring or carbon build up around it. Many of those old saws used whatever oil they had.
Does your have a full wrap on it or half wrap? How big of a bar are you looking for?

If you did need more than rings, which I'm sure you could get from Bob Johnson (Bob's Lawnmower of Maryland, NY), those saws seem to be all over our neck of the woods (I'm in Northeast Vermont) for peanuts. For some more peanuts, you could definitely get one off of eBay, to your door, and you need not pay more than $70.

Back