Calling time of death on this stihl 056 project...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse snowden

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Welp, I think it's time to put this one out to greener pastures guys. A few of you might have seen my posts a while back when I first started working on this beat to crap old stihl 056 av super I got for 100 bucks.

Over the course of about 4 months this old hog has recieved:

A uses muffler
New piston kit
Honed cylinder
Foggysail ignition repair
New impulse line
2 carb rebuilds (1st kit had a botched pin)
2 cylinder gaskets( 1st time used RTV)
A dozen missing screws
Air filter cover
2 spark plugs
Full set of rubber isolators
Re-welded the muffler when it broke

And now....AND NOW!!!! the keeper clip to hold the piston on the connecting rod....popped off, completely destroying the cylinder and piston. The cheapest I can find a full cylinder kit is ~$150 + shipping... right now I'm into this saw 500 dollars. And it's not exactly at the top of its class. Sadly, unless someone has a box full of parts they really don't want, this saw has sliced it's last slab. Here are pics of the damage...

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/Jesse_James_Snowden/Mobile Uploads/20160801_195058_zpskcypzb3q.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/Jesse_James_Snowden/Mobile Uploads/20160801_195150_zpswryscklw.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/Jesse_James_Snowden/Mobile Uploads/20160801_195120_zpskjre8cvm.jpg

Doesn't look like any major scoring above the transfer.
I'd just clean up the cylinder and piston/ring groove, throw a new ring in the top slot, new clips and go.
What is there to lose? What's another $15 or whatever at this point...
Ditch the base gasket if squish allows...

Jesse, You're not far from me. I'm in Shelton. I have many 056's. If you can pickup, I'll give you the parts free. PM me. deereguy

Wow I really wasn't expecting that! Haha I actually just ordered a new saw online to take the 056's place in the alaskan mill. But it's true, after putting so much effort into this machine it's hard to just give up on it. And it would make a great saw even out of the mill. You are free to revoke your offer at any time my friend, but if you really do have spare parts just kicking around I'd be very grateful for them:) I'm worried that even if I did buy a chinese duplicate part that "fits" it may fail like the retention clips did on my ebay piston kit.

I'll shoot you a PM

And this is why AS is such a great site :clap::cheers:

Until you look at a map, and see that Shelton is quite a distance from Everett, as the crow flies, not too bad, except there's kind of a big water hazard in between. ;) Maybe if you did the shortcut from Edmonds to Kingston via the ferry it wouldn't be too chaotic, kind of the driving Ms Daisy route through the sticks.

Google maps laughably says the I-5 route is 2 1/2 hours with no traffic, which translates to about 6 hours with typical traffic, possibly 8-9 hours if it rains and spooks all the california transplants. :D

Either way, you need some inspirational road trip music. Something that would horrify the usual King county leftie. Ahh, here we go.

At least good enough for the usual morning death wish commute down the 405. ;)

Back