Camp Cuisine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correction on the White Wing recipe, must have been tired instead of sour cream, use philadelphia cream cheese! It'll make a big difference! My mistake.

Correction on the White Wing recipe, must have been tired instead of sour cream, use philadelphia cream cheese! It'll make a big difference! My mistake.

LOL LOL

That's funny!! I was gonna ask about cream cheese last night, but deleted my post. I figured, "Eh, I'll try it with sour cream and see first." :laugh:

Now I really want some!! I'll be firing up the grill, unless we have rain, then I'll have to resort to a cookie sheet and the oven.

The oven works as well as a grill. They are a mess to make and it takes a little time, but they are damn good. When we have get togethers I'll usually make 150 -200 of the things takes me at least 2-2:30 hours to make them cutting the chicken wrapping the bacon etc, I've yet to have one left over. Even the people who are afraid of the jalapeno's are converted. I'll warn you though if you gorge yourself on them, things can be a little runny the next morning.lol

Try them next time you have a cookout, you'll be famous for them forever, it's the first thing people ask if we're having if we invite them over.

White Wings

30 large jalapeno peppers
boneless chicken, quail or dove breast
sour cream
garlic salt
bacon

Cut the jalapeno's in half and scrape out the seeds.
Cut pieces of chicken or quail/dove breast big enough to cover the hollowed out pepper
Fill the cavity of the pepper with sour cream, lay on the piece of breast meat, wrap with bacon and use toothpick to hold together and garlic salt the whole thing
Place on a grill and grill until the breast meat is done
Caution you may founder on these, they are fantastic
Taking the seeds out of the peppers make them very mild if your concerned about them being too spicy

Taters in a pot

New Potatoes
Butter
Onion
Yellow squash
cooked bacon
Mrs. Dash

We cut up (chunk up) the tater and place in a good sized pot add fresh onion (diced) add diced yellow squash, add a stick and a half of real butter, put in diced up bacon (optional) give it a healthy dose of Mrs. Dash seasoning and add about a cup of water and cover and sit in on the grill until the taters are done, this is a fantastic dish. If you like mushrooms you can add them to this as well.

White Wings and Sweet Potato fries. YUUUUMMMMMMMMM! Indiansprings is dah man!!

attachment.php

Did Sam really say "buck the carrots" to length? That is a great saying but how small is your Spencer tape?

Bill, what did you think the Scandinavian fallers are carrying the callipers for?

IMG_4812.JPG

I guess you'd need a wooden cutting board if you used a tape. The plastic ones would be hard to stick the nail into when bucking vegetables into the proper lengths.

Is there a delimber for celery?

What do you allow for trim?

Do you buck out the sweep?

Hmmm. I can see a TV show out of this. Just gotta come up with a name. Learning Logger Cuisine?
Gourmets In The Brush? Just Buck It?

A friend and I took a cooking lesson from a neighbor. He would be perfect. He has a white, nicely trimmed beard, was wearing rigging clothes (washed recently) and did a nice presentation behind the kitchen island.

Last edited:
I find the excessive limbs on brocolli really slow down the processing time. One needs to have a different/lighter weight knife for limbing. Otherwise, your wrists will get tired quicker. :msp_smile:

What is the minimum top diameter for carrots?

What is the minimum top diameter for carrots?

I personally top it at 1 centimeters (2/5'' under the bark). Optimized bucking for the first section of the stem. Usually I get 2-3 logs. Pulp goes straight into the chipper. Good for one's teeth, you see.

Last weekend wqe were campin down at Riffe Lake (just north of Mt. St. Helens). We caught a crapload of "Silvers" out of the lake and the N. Cowlitz River. The fish we catch there are landlocked Silver Salmon, and the big ones get to around 18" long. Good eatin'!

Any ways... we either fillet them and do a "fish fry", or we will gut them and cut the heads off, run a slit down the spine and remove the dorsal fin... and put them in tin foil packets with butter, onion, lemon, dill, a splash off beer, and salt and pepper. Huck them in the coals of the fire for 10 minutes... and dinner is served!

Patty... I might have been down in your neck of the woods... or are you further south?

Gary

Last weekend wqe were campin down at Riffe Lake (just north of Mt. St. Helens). We caught a crapload of "Silvers" out of the lake and the N. Cowlitz River. The fish we catch there are landlocked Silver Salmon, and the big ones get to around 18" long. Good eatin'!

Any ways... we either fillet them and do a "fish fry", or we will gut them and cut the heads off, run a slit down the spine and remove the dorsal fin... and put them in tin foil packets with butter, onion, lemon, dill, a splash off beer, and salt and pepper. Huck them in the coals of the fire for 10 minutes... and dinner is served!

Patty... I might have been down in your neck of the woods... or are you further south?

Gary

You were velly close. Maybe I should get a fishing license. I just have to make a turn and connect with the old Champion mainline. Then I'm there.

Have pudgy pies been mentioned yet? They're the only way to go for easy campfire cooking.

You were velly close. Maybe I should get a fishing license. I just have to make a turn and connect with the old Champion mainline. Then I'm there.

We drive down the Champion Haul Road on the way to the falls dam to fish off the rocks there. We stayed at Taidnapam Park. Been fishing that lake and camping and riding dirt bikes there since I was a wee lad...

Back before the fishing bridge was built at the park about 100 feet from the Haul Road bridge... fishing off the Haul Road bridge with log trucks rolling past was almost a sport!

Gary

Last edited:
My folks would come and camp in my yard or on the mud flats and troll from their boat. I went once. It was boring. I grew up creek fishing and even fly fished before it was cool.

I showed up once and told my dad he needed to be ready to move off the flats, the river was coming up and they'd probably be flooded out. He ignored me. He ignored my mom pointing out that the lake level was rising. Almost too late, he hooked up their fifth wheel and started winding around the fingers of water.
He got the trailer hung up on a stump. A wrecker? Or somebody with a good 4x4 pulled him out but the holding tanks were damaged and he yelled at my mom to get in and they took off with bad stuff trickling out. Yuckers.

This time of year we'd be burning, or patrolling where we had burned or I'd be gone on a fire. One time they showed up just after I'd left. I came back three weeks later and they had left--it was perfect timing!
And they used up stuff in the fridge so there was no stinky stuff to come home to.

We kayak behind the Falls Dam and go up the river until we get bored or tired. Sometimes we launch in Mayfield and go up the river into the gorge. That is best done in the fall, when the leaves are colorful and the jet skis have been put away. We'll also go across and up the Tilton. The whitefish are running on that river sometimes when we go. We never know how far up we'll get because it changes yearly.

It is a good place to live. The population is kind of controlled by the septic tank and flooding problems.
That's a good thing.

I worked out there back when it was Champion ground. A bit north in Cinebar, too, and up Pigeon Springs, for Weyerhauser. All over the Doty Triangle for Weyco and Simpson. Up past Cougar and out to Linkshire by Aberdeen, down through Cosi and Raymond and South Bend. Took the 1000 line at the far end of Lincoln Creek once looking for Oakville once and got lost where the old MacDonald and Simmons road networks collide and ended up out by Pe Ell. Then I headed north and south, wherever the contracts took me. Carnation, Lorane, Grisdale, Forest Grove. Kind of odd now to be so stationary on a single piece of ground. Even odder to think how much ground I covered while never venturing more than 250 miles from home.

I worked out there back when it was Champion ground. A bit north in Cinebar, too, and up Pigeon Springs, for Weyerhauser. All over the Doty Triangle for Weyco and Simpson. Up past Cougar and out to Linkshire by Aberdeen, down through Cosi and Raymond and South Bend. Took the 1000 line at the far end of Lincoln Creek once looking for Oakville once and got lost where the old MacDonald and Simmons road networks collide and ended up out by Pe Ell. Then I headed north and south, wherever the contracts took me. Carnation, Lorane, Grisdale, Forest Grove. Kind of odd now to be so stationary on a single piece of ground. Even odder to think how much ground I covered while never venturing more than 250 miles from home.

Howz things Nate Dog?

Keeping the beer cold?