Can’t remove recoil on ms180C!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
image.jpg I picked up a nice looking MS 180 C. I successfully replace the end on the spark plug wire. Yay me! However, I cannot get the recoil off. There does not seem to be clearance. I thought about taking the handle off to do it, but that looks pretty difficult too! Any suggestions? Has anyone else run into this? There just does not seem to be clearance when I try to lift the recoil out ,It hits the handle and hits the fly wheel.

And the harder you try, the worse it gets. Definitely a bit of a Chinese puzzle. Dump fluids first. Both caps and screws removed. Don't forget the hand guard screw.
Pull hand guard up over peg and move it out of the way. You may find a screwdriver handle wedged between the bottom of the case and handle bar gives clearance.
Then pull up and wiggle past the tank openings.
The first five to ten will get it figured out.

And the harder you try, the worse it gets. Definitely a bit of a Chinese puzzle. Dump fluids first. Both caps and screws removed. Don't forget the hand guard screw.
Pull hand guard up over peg and move it out of the way. You may find a screwdriver handle wedged between the bottom of the case and handle bar gives clearance.
Then pull up and wiggle past the tank openings.
The first five to ten will get it figured out.
Thanks, hopefully that will help when I’m ready to get it back on

OTP: did you ever get the cover pulled off? In your picture, you've either missed the screw at the front of the cover or you've not taken the oil cap off/out of the way so it's not coming off until you do that. Couldn't tell if you figured that out via your "never mind" post or... if you had set it aside for the day of the crowbar.

OTP: did you ever get the cover pulled off? In your picture, you've either missed the screw at the front of the cover or you've not taken the oil cap off/out of the way so it's not coming off until you do that. Couldn't tell if you figured that out via your "never mind" post or... if you had set it aside for the day of the crowbar.
I did, and yes . all the screws wee removed first. although some of the screws had apparently been lost and replaced with random screws. I found an old beat up cover on ebay, and hope to use the guts out of it and still use the decent looking original cover

Back