Can a cutter be replaced on a chain or do you have to get a new chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goon 88

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was cutting with the new 395XP this weekend and caught some type of steel in a log. It broke off a cutter on the chain but only 1 and did no damage to the rest of the chain. The chain only has about 1 1/2 hrs of cutting and hadn't been sharpened yet. My question is can I bring it to a guy and have him replace the link or is the chain NFG and get a new one?

Grind the rest of it off, clean it up and run it. It will just be an extra skip in the chain. Is the chain full comp?

Any decent chainsaw repair shop can replace links, including the cutters, but I've been using a chain with a cutter missing (and ground off smooth) on my limbing saw for a couple of years now. I guess it vibrates a little more, but it's not significant.

Any decent chainsaw repair shop can replace links, including the cutters.

+ 1 (on this part).

If it is a newer chain, I would get it repaired back to spec. If it was a junk chain, maybe something different.

You should use matching parts for the brand of chain you are using. Probably need a STIHL dealer for STIHL chains. Oregon makes Husky chains, so a shop that stocks Oregon chain and parts should be able to repair an Oregon or Husky chain. Then grind/file the new link back to match the same amount of wear as the others on the chain.

If it is a less common chain (Windsor, ArborMax, etc.) you might need to order a few links and a couple each of a 'tie strap' and 'pre-set' (one pair for each end or the replacement link) from the dealer and have a local shop put them on.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=orps+orts&catID=79

Philbert

If you're intending to grind the rest of the damaged cutter off check for major damage first. Not uncommon on saws as large as yours to also crack the rest of the cutter down to the rivet (can be very hard to see and will bust later when you least expect it). If I were you I would replace the damaged cutter with a simple preset and tiestrap so that that section of the chain ends up missing a cutter (you won't notice). In my case I would replace it with a new cutter as I have a heap of them :)
Ideally if getting it replaced you should use the same brand and style of chain/cutter but this isn't really necessary.
All 3/8" brands of chain I've tried have interchangable presets/tiestraps with the exception of the "odd" Windsor preset that seems too large for any chain other than Windsor (got me beat this one?).
If it is a .404" chain both Windsor and Stihl are different to Oregon, Carlton, etc and their presets/tiestraps are not interchangable due to different sized rivets.

Back