Can Anybody Tell me what kind of tree this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipDoogle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wonder If anyone can tell me what this big boy tree is. My guess was red oak, as it had that pinkish swirl thru the middle. You can see the endgrain on a couple of the pics. It's the first series of pics on the link. The neighbors told me it had been struck by lighting 7 years ago, so it was good and dead by the time we got to it. Don't you just love when people put stuff off, aside from a small ding on the edge of the garage all went well. The sections would just explode when you took them. There were quite a bit of cottonwood in the area, but for being dead 7 years it was still way to heavy for that. Anyways if anybody has any idea what kind of tree this is I would be interested to know. It is was in the Indianapolis area.

Thanks, Ryan
:newbie:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=420516551&albumID=1368380&imageID=17642808

Last edited:
Wonder If anyone can tell me what this big boy tree is. My guess was red oak, as it had that pinkish swirl thru the middle. You can see the endgrain on a couple of the pics. It's the first series of pics on the link. The neighbors told me it had been struck by lighting 7 years ago, so it was good and dead by the time we got to it. Don't you just love when people put stuff off, aside from a small ding on the edge of the garage all went well. The sections would just explode when you took them. There were quite a bit of cottonwood in the area, but for being dead 7 years it was still way to heavy for that. Anyways if anybody has any idea what kind of tree this is I would be interested to know. It is was in the Indianapolis area.

Thanks, Ryan
:newbie:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=420516551&albumID=1368380&imageID=17642808
do you have pics of the trunk wood? Did it have an oder to it when you cut into it? Closer up pics would be a help.

My first inclination is an elm, just based on form and the way the bark is coming off. A close up of the wood would help confirm it for sure.

I added some more pics

When you click the link and it opens up, click "back to albums". Then go to page 2 there is some close ups on there. As far as an odor, nothing out of the ordinary that I remember. When we drilled it prior to removal a bunch of white juice came out of it. Do elms get this big, and if so what kind? I guesstimate the tree to be somewhere between 125 and 150 years old. It was 105 to 110' tall and 50" diameter from the ground to 45' before it forked. Just remembered I got some split on the woodrack, I will go take a pic and throw that on there to. Ok I took 3 pics of a split piece of wood so you can see the grain.

get this book

http://www.amazon.com/Sibley-Guide-Trees-David-Allen/dp/037541519X
51jFQLglh4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The tree in the pic gallery that is dead and has the ratchet straps is an elm.

I just want to say that is is unwise to work with a pole saw above you. I know, I know there are exceptions but try to remember to take the time and energy to either stow it far away or below you.

As stringy as it split, I am still saying elm, most likely American or Red (Slippery). If you look at the end of a log, does the growth increment look like it has a WWWWW type pattern in the cell growth? Also on the old bark, are there alternate layers of red and tan or light and dark red? These would be indicators of elm. American or slippery in particular.

I guess based on the bark that is still attached in the one photo and the poor compartmentalization in the one end of the log, I could go with Cottonwood also.

If the one photo that says 'the bark was over four inches thick' is the tree we are discussing then I'd have to say cottonwood like was said earlier. I've never seen elm bark that thick. Sure does look like elm though how the bark fell off.

Yeah I dug up a piece of bark i saved, it was more like 1 1/2 to 2" thick, the 4" was incorrect, my bad.

So Sounds like it is an elm, good to know, and thanks for your reply's

BTW: I know you said you didnt do it, but what exactly was the deal with that notch (term used loosely) on the butt there??

Yeah, the facecut. I dropped the crown out of the tree. The guy I was subbing for insisted on doing the facecut, then when he could not get it to work for him and was becoming exhausted, the gentlemen in the video (link below) saved it best he could. We had to drop it right between 2 sections of fence, and that's where it went. I know your supposed to take a fifth of the diameter in the face cut. I think part of the reason they went deeper was because the buttresses stuck out so far. I was in the skidsteer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KF9jc9Ylds

The tree in the pic gallery that is dead and has the ratchet straps is an elm.

I just want to say that is is unwise to work with a pole saw above you. I know, I know there are exceptions but try to remember to take the time and energy to either stow it far away or below you.
"POLE SAW IN TREE"
I assume your referring to the pics of me in the whitepine. I was taking a break having a smoke, and my groundie took a couple pics of me posing/goofing in the tree. And yes once back to real work, the pole saw was below me.

Yeah, the facecut. I dropped the crown out of the tree. The guy I was subbing for insisted on doing the facecut, then when he could not get it to work for him and was becoming exhausted, the gentlemen in the video (link below) saved it best he could. We had to drop it right between 2 sections of fence, and that's where it went. I know your supposed to take a fifth of the diameter in the face cut. I think part of the reason they went deeper was because the buttresses stuck out so far. I was in the skidsteer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KF9jc9Ylds

Don't you hate when somebody pulls something like that? It actually didn't look to bad and I thought it was cut that way to keep the hinge intact kinda like they do when cutting redwoods and such.

"POLE SAW IN TREE"
I assume your referring to the pics of me in the whitepine. I was taking a break having a smoke, and my groundie took a couple pics of me posing/goofing in the tree. And yes once back to real work, the pole saw was below me.

Sounds good but who gave you permission to take a break?:)

damn that thing was really really dead... how large was the base diameter?? you rigged off of itself?? how rotted was the main trunk

Last edited:
damn that thing was really really dead... how large was the base diameter?? you rigged off of itself?? how rotted was the main trunk

Yeah a neighbor told me it was struck by lighing in 2002, And yeah we rigged off of itself. I have yet to do a crane removal, after doing this one, I think that's the route that should have been taken. The base diameter was 50" and the main trunk was not rotted. Here was the worst problem, whenever we took a piece it would explode when we took it. Here is a video of us taking a section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3wS3xXLcM

Back