Can Anybody Tell me what kind of tree this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely and elm , trying spitting a piece of it you will know for sure :p . Have one half alive still in my yard one of the only survivors left in town .

Yeah even dead as #### with a New Rayco HD splitter it was like hell splitting some of the pieces. Some of them would get stuck on the maul split a quarter of the way and I would have to beat them off with sledge and rotated piece till it would cut. But the stuff burns great.

Not Red Oak

Here in Norh Carolina we have an abundunce of Red Oak. I,d put all my money on that it,s certainly not Oak.:greenchainsaw:

The first pic of the profile I thought it looked like a big old Elm, I had to pull out my pocket guide to confirm. The American Elms we took down in DC when I was a kid had a much thinner bark. The pocket guide says the slippery Elm has a deeply furrowed bark. That matches. Split wood definately looks like stringy old Elm. I agree with the Elm votes, Joe.

My vote is for slippery elm. We took down a big on like that last year. The one we did measured 56 inch across. It has a really cool color to it when you first cut it. Really redish color. Once it dries gets a little lighter color.

your tree

Wonder If anyone can tell me what this big boy tree is. My guess was red oak, as it had that pinkish swirl thru the middle. You can see the endgrain on a couple of the pics. It's the first series of pics on the link. The neighbors told me it had been struck by lighting 7 years ago, so it was good and dead by the time we got to it. Don't you just love when people put stuff off, aside from a small ding on the edge of the garage all went well. The sections would just explode when you took them. There were quite a bit of cottonwood in the area, but for being dead 7 years it was still way to heavy for that. Anyways if anybody has any idea what kind of tree this is I would be interested to know. It is was in the Indianapolis area.

Thanks, Ryan
:newbie:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=420516551&albumID=1368380&imageID=17642808
youre tree is a malburary not a cottonwood

your tree

Wonder If anyone can tell me what this big boy tree is. My guess was red oak, as it had that pinkish swirl thru the middle. You can see the endgrain on a couple of the pics. It's the first series of pics on the link. The neighbors told me it had been struck by lighting 7 years ago, so it was good and dead by the time we got to it. Don't you just love when people put stuff off, aside from a small ding on the edge of the garage all went well. The sections would just explode when you took them. There were quite a bit of cottonwood in the area, but for being dead 7 years it was still way to heavy for that. Anyways if anybody has any idea what kind of tree this is I would be interested to know. It is was in the Indianapolis area.

Thanks, Ryan
:newbie:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=420516551&albumID=1368380&imageID=17642808
youre tree is a mulberries not a cottonwood
we have them allot around hear locust has more pink to red cottonwood is yellowishishwhite oaks and maples Tanish elms white mulberries are hard and a good burn for heat

Last edited:
Butternut . . . actually prolly not since I just noticed the grain pics.

Last edited:
Back