Can anyone help me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_scott

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hey guys I desperately need a new muffler for my saw I need an 036 muffler can anyone help? the following explains it all, I went on a job trial for a logmaking position for a logging company was two hours into my trial and a dirty big piece of front cover from my muffler blew out and the saw became a potential fire hazard so I had to call it a day and tried to reorganise it so I could try to get another muffler for my saw or organise to borrow one of the training institutes saws but unfortunately I got a call five minutes after being permitted to leave the site saying I missed out due to unreliable equipment. Before anyone says go to my local dealer I did go to the local stihl dealer but they wanted $168.00NZD for a whole complete unit. also can anyone tell me if you can get a dual port version for the 034s/036. I am prepared to do an international purchase if it means making a small saving

Cheers in advance

Ross

yeah I only have one saw I never ever thought I would need a backup ( I sold my crappy PS34 to get the stihl, and sold my pioneer to fix a husky 50 which turned to be a very sour lemon that I do not like to talk about) as much as I would like to own more than one saw I just can't get past the missus on that subject (she knows my account password on trademe). Just wish the exhaust blew its arse out somewhere else

A new muffler for an 034 should retail for around $55 US. I have a top cover for an 034 somewhere, will that help? I holes are kind of wallowed out, but it is still useable.

Has anyone ever shipped to New Zealand? Is it prohibitively expensive? How about brokerage or duties?

I`m sure that I can scare up the necessary parts but if it isn`t cost effective, why bother?

Russ

If you ship him parts; be sure you declare it as 'used' and put a deathly low value on it. Will help him on the duty.

036 front covers are quite cheap - like about $USA17 new, don't weigh much and can be sent first class post for a few $. The muffler will cost quite a bit more for shipping, like about $20.

Remember that you DON'T want to get an 36 front for your 34 muffler! The 036 vents out of the side of the rear casing, and the 034 out of the front cover. If you're going to replace the entire muffler, you need to figure which of the three different size mufflers actually fit - this is the 034 with 036 cylinder, and as you'e figured out in other threads, the original muffler does'nt... Additionally the 036 has a heat deflector AND gaskets, so make sure you get these also as they affect the muffler mount spacing.

I'm not sure how picky NZ is, but Stihl usually makes a specific muffler for AUS And NZ. Has to do with the type of fire screen and noise levels.

$NZ168 may sound expensive, but it will cost you about $US55 for the muffler, plus shipping then the exchange rate conversion, and then your local GST. The price wont be all that different, and at least you'll get one that fits if you buy locally.

Lakeside's analysis seems spot on. Just curious, will you get another go at the job trial? Do you have mate who could/would loan you a backup saw j-i-c? Aw ra best!

jokers said:
Has anyone ever shipped to New Zealand? Is it prohibitively expensive? How about brokerage or duties?

I`m sure that I can scare up the necessary parts but if it isn`t cost effective, why bother?

Russ

USPS rates are quite low....I'm sending a 440 to ekka for abt $45, it would be 80 for the next faster service. for a package that small, you could probably go priority mail for under $30.

As for duty fees I only have to pay duty tax on items that exceed $400 in value, I do need a whole complete muffler as I want to get rid of the 034 muffler and get the proper one to eliminate the spacers that are behind the muffler mount, Chris.J that trial is all over for me they don't want me to come back in as the other guy who was also trialling was offered a spot (funny part is he had to have his saw cut out of pinch points twice and I never got my saw stuck once)

Also $55USD works out to be Around $80NZD and for arguements sake if I was charged $20USD for shipping it would be about $30NZD so it works out that I would save atleast $50-$60 buying from overseas I have had computer components imported from the states when I was building modified computers and that was quite reasonable once converted etc.

So, all you have to do is figureout which one fits :) Get the heat deflector also - see the 036 pro IPL.

If you can figure out what muffler you need, I can get you a used muffler for about 50% of new.

hi Lakeside, would it help if I take a picture of the current muffler to give you an idea of which one I need?, I did have a look at the 036 IPL at giftsofwood but the muffler it shows on there has four screw holes to fit the front cover to the muffler housing mine only has two screws at the base of the housing and the top of the muffler front just slips under a lug and is supported by two screws at the bottom going into where it fastens to the crankcase.

also lakeside if you can pm me some prices incl Shipping that would be great, cheers for the help so far

Just to clarify, on the 036 the two top screws are just to hold the front to the back portion. If you need the entire muffler, then the number of screws doesn't matter. You are looking for the entire muffler?

Take off your existing muffler, hit it with wire brush and find the part number. It will be in the form of 1125/06 for example. Usually on the bottom or top and is stamped into the muffler. From this and knowing that yours is 2mm too long, I might be able to figure out the right part number for the one you need.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Just to clarify, on the 036 the two top screws are just to hold the front to the back portion. If you need the entire muffler, then the number of screws doesn't matter. You are looking for the entire muffler?

Take off your existing muffler, hit it with wire brush and find the part number. It will be in the form of 1125/06 for example. Usually on the bottom or top and is stamped into the muffler. From this and knowing that yours is 2mm too long, I might be able to figure out the right part number for the one you need.

Lakeside here is the part number you want from my busted muffler

P/N 1125/00

I'm on it. WIll take a few days as it a holiday week here... Might grab a friends' saw I did the exact same 034->036 converstion and tear his muffler off for reference.

Just to complete the information loop, what is your serial number? You can PM me if you like.

Hi Lakeside the serial number is as follows I don't mind posting it here in the thread

Cheers For the help so far

Latest posts

Back