Can anyone help with what this Timberwolf tw2 is worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwilliams

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can u guys help out on a price for this any ideas what it’s worth not sure on the hrs. Guy ran a small firewood business and is giving it up. Looking to sell my dht 30 ton and buy this. Also anything to look for or any problems with these units?

Attachments

• 0D2B40C7-C51B-4417-8B00-B9771687A873.jpeg
    0D2B40C7-C51B-4417-8B00-B9771687A873.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DC20CB7A-9BC6-41EE-B4A1-7C41D02F41E0.jpeg
    DC20CB7A-9BC6-41EE-B4A1-7C41D02F41E0.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 038076B1-738D-47DD-9293-FD5BE74BA2FB.jpeg
    038076B1-738D-47DD-9293-FD5BE74BA2FB.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 112
any idea how low it is? I’m happy with my dht30 ton. Bought it new and have an extra cylinder for it and have had no problems other then a leaky seal on the cylinder. But looking for something a bit faster and more efficient. Didn’t know if this is it. I can sell my dht and only have to put out 400 bucks. But didn’t know if it’s worth it

Does not appear to have log lift or adjustable four-way, single valve.
I sold a TW-6 with 80 hours, waxed, kept inside. $8,500.
Should not be any problems, but it has some hours on it by the wore off paint on the log cradle.
Faster/more efficient, probably not without adjustable wedge and log lift, pump/engine, larger cylinder and dump valve plumbing.
Ever consider a kinetic splitter?
If you don't need the go lift, they are faster and more efficient.
The wedge on the Timberwolf is wide and fat, which makes for junk in questionable wood, and I would think requires more hp than necessary being inefficient. Not a problem pushing stuff through with a 20 hp twin. Not sure with the TW-2 set-up.
I also agree it is low unless working very large rounds. The smaller the wood the less I liked the wedge.
Solid though. You will not tear it up.
IMG_4631.jpgIMG_4792.jpg

I've worked on their wood processors for an out fit down in Maryland. I was rather impressed with everything but the wedge, they had a 4 and 6 way adjustable set up, constantly had issues with the 6 way breaking. Never understood why the wedge was so big, i think that was half the issue. Other then that it was a well built unit, and could put out a lot of wood an hour. Good bit bigger then this unit.
The 2 things that would kill this for me, are the lack of a lift and how low it sits. Back isnt the best, and the right height and a lift make all the world if difference

Owner tells me he has it since new and about 200 cord through it. Gonna sell my dht 30 ton and use an extra 400 bucks and buy the timber Wolf tw2 as long as everything works as it should gonna go look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the help every one

Owner tells me he has it since new and about 200 cord through it.
Shouldn't need a new engine in 200 hours.
Check serial number, or ask him if he has the new paperwork on it.
How long has the new engine been on it?
Watch the cylinder for movement as rod extends, indicating if it is possibly bent.
The jack looks to interfere with pull starting.

Owner tells me he has it since new and about 200 cord through it.
I would sure question this too. I am sure that had a Honda when new with 200 cord that engine wouldn't even been broke in. I would look it over real close. I ran a buddy's TW-5 a couple of years ago for a few days and it killed my back. I want my splitters high enough I can stand up straight and they need a lift.

I'm not saying don't buy it.
Just listen and look.
Ask more questions.
Doesn't appear to have an outfeed table. That seems unusual. Did it get tore off? They hook on and do not bolt on. Splits with stubs or bowls often catch on the front of the out-feed table. Or you can loose it towing from a bounce. Should be removed for towing.
Does the engine have a gas shut off for towing. If not, bouncing can get fuel in the oil when towed. Maybe that's what happened to the previous engine.
The paint is incredibly durable on the wedges and push plate.
I suspect it's had a hard life, or it is many years old. Which may not matter.
Something else to look at is the rod to push plate clevis. Is the clevis pinned to the rod? Or is the rod end threaded to the clevis?
There's a guy on YouTube used stroke reducing collars with a threaded rod end, and he stripped the threads on the rod on the return stroke. Just something to check. Pretty sure it was a Timberwolf one or two.
NOTE: When you look at the splitter, look around at where he used it. Look at other things as well. Other equipment. Is it kept up?

How much are they asking ? And wtf is a predator engine? Figure on buying a new engine, pump cylinder ext. how much is a new one ? Lots of scammers out there

This splitter is a TW2 HD I had one. Same frame as the TW5 or 6 just smaller ram engine, and less options. Mine had a Honda on it, lift and table I bought it used and sold it for #3600.00
Hope this helps

Back