Can firebrick be "sawn/cut"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnczane

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've done it again. Used up the last reserve "narrow" firebrick the manufacturer spec'd for my Englander 50-TRW35 wood furnace.

No one carries this 9x4x1-1/4 "split" (which is what a half-thickness brick is called) locally. The standard width is 4-1/2" I've discovered.

Last time that happened, I went online and searched (and searched) and bought a dozen and figured they should last two-dozen years.

Well, both my math and my memory are off.

And now I still can't find them locally, and I have forgot where I ordered them last time.

Four of these are used across the back: 4x4"=16" and 4-1/2" into 16" won't go, without a fight.

Leading to my question: can a 9x1-1/4 brick be cut length-wise? (alternatively: know of a source for this odd-wad size?)

Diamond wheel on either the circular saw or angle grinder. The wheels are not too expensive at HD.

I've done it again. Used up the last reserve "narrow" firebrick the manufacturer spec'd for my Englander 50-TRW35 wood furnace.

No one carries this 9x4x1-1/4 "split" (which is what a half-thickness brick is called) locally. The standard width is 4-1/2" I've discovered.

Last time that happened, I went online and searched (and searched) and bought a dozen and figured they should last two-dozen years.

Well, both my math and my memory are off.

And now I still can't find them locally, and I have forgot where I ordered them last time.

Four of these are used across the back: 4x4"=16" and 4-1/2" into 16" won't go, without a fight.

Leading to my question: can a 9x1-1/4 brick be cut length-wise? (alternatively: know of a source for this odd-wad size?)

All the stated answers will work well but in my opinion the wet saw works best.

$15 or so at the hardware store will get you one of these wheels.
IMG_20170131_132514167.jpg

Another $15 at harbor freight will buy the angle grinder if you don't have one.

I took a 1L water bottle and put 2-3 holes on the screw on top and used it to spray the cutting wheel to keep the duct down. Worked great!!!

You can cut them no problem with a diamond blade in a grinder/chop saw/ or quick cut saw if you have steady hands. Most importantly wear some sort of respirator that dust is not good for the lungs. And don't do it in confined space or a garage. Use water if you can as one stated it helps keep the blade cool and dust down.

You know how, sometimes you ask a question hoping the answer is "NO!"?...
> ...Neighbors friend cut 4 bricks for me.
(Seriously considers looking up bus fare to Ohio from Wisconsin, and maybe if it would pay if I got a whole dozen...)

> ...if you have steady hands
(Thinks steady "hands"? Naw, something else needs steadying more...)

Thank you all! I am really glad to hear it can be done/has been done.

I am going to man up, get one of those diamond disks--and then show Mother this thread...

(BTW I had to cut off the tip of an S-hook the other day and I remembered the bargain grinder I'd got at HF
a year or so ago. My son even still remembered where it was! and that I'd never bought any disks for it... :^( )

Any maple syrup supply place can get you split bricks for pretty cheap. They are under $3 each in the Leader catalog. You can call the Holcombe WI office and find out who your closest dealer is. It might say in the website too, I'm not sure. Any dealer will mail you whatever you need.

I have to make cuts in my firebrick to make them fit and I use my circular saw with a wheel that is good for cutting masonry, concrete and ceramics. I use my Work Mate work bench to hold the brick when I make my cuts. The cutting is done outside on my driveway.

I cut mine on my metal chopsaw, which has the abrasive blade. I did use a worn out blade. I think the diamond blade on a grinder would be a better choice, but I used what I had at the time. I bought the blades for my grinder at Lowes and I think the cost was about $10. I dont know how long those diamond blades last, but I cut out about 50ft of concrete joints with it and figure I'll lose the blade before i wear it out.

Did you check County Materials Corp. 6399 Nesbitt Rd, Madison, WI 53719 that is where I get my fire bricks.
They cut very easy with a tile saw.

Any maple syrup supply place can get you split bricks for pretty cheap. They are under $3 each in the Leader catalog. You can call the Holcombe WI office and find out who your closest dealer is. It might say in the website too, I'm not sure. Any dealer will mail you whatever you need.

Thanks! NEVER would've thought of that industry. My son-i-l syrups so ought to be able to help hunt.

Thank YOU! This MUST be the place I got them last time!

BUT.

I TRIED THEM FIRST!! I went to the Parts menu, clicked on my Parts for Wood Stoves, then my stove, then Searched within results for Brick:
We found 0 results matching your criteria.
clear1x1.gif

No products match your search criteria, please try again.

Shee-eesh.

I think you've heard this enough by now, but one more vote for wet tile saw. I re-lined my entire stove this year in about 20 minutes with a wet tile saw and a pencil to trace the old bricks.

You can also use an abrasive masonry grinding wheel that most hardware stores carry and in a pinch a metal blade will work. As already mentioned safety goggles
and keeping the work damp or wet is a great way to go. Thanks

Back