Can I get by with just a rim sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m working on a buddies ms260, he got the chain all whacked out. Has a Oregon 3/8 sprocket with .325 chain and bar. Can I just buy a rim sprocket or do I have to get a sprocket and clutch bellhousing kit? I’d like to get it all to .325.

Just be aware that there are 2 sizes of rim sprocket generally, standard and small. The 325 is usually small unless a 9 pin.
We’ll that’s what got me to wondering i took the sprocket off my 261 which is .325 chain and it did not fit. It has the same number of pins but seems like the star pattern is bigger on the 260

We’ll that’s what got me to wondering i took the sprocket off my 261 which is .325 chain and it did not fit. It has the same number of pins but seems like the star pattern is bigger on the 260
Your 260 probably has an Oregon drum on it which uses the Oregon small rim. A Stihl small rim is smaller yet and is what your 261 uses. Your 260 came with the same rim as your 261 originally, but has been replaced with an Oregon drum somewhere along the line, and now uses Oregon small

Your 260 probably has an Oregon drum on it which uses the Oregon small rim. A Stihl small rim is smaller yet and is what your 261 uses. Your 260 came with the same rim as your 261 originally, but has been replaced with an Oregon drum somewhere along the line, and now uses Oregon small
Good answer so as long as I get a 7pin .325 Oregon rim sprocket I should be okay? Is this the right size rim sprocket for .325 chain? Or is it geared down, to cut slower than OEM. The guy who has it says his old 260 would outcut the 261 he got to replace it. Unless he’s really laying into the wood and has it geared down I can’t see how that could be. It was my impression that the 261 was superior in almost every way….except the plastic handle. He may be confused on his models and actually have a 251 or a 311 something like that. When I get this running and broke in I’m thinking about doing a video comparing a 260 and 261 on same bar.

Good answer so as long as I get a 7pin .325 Oregon rim sprocket I should be okay? Is this the right size rim sprocket for .325 chain? Or is it geared down, to cut slower than OEM. The guy who has it says his old 260 would outcut the 261 he got to replace it. Unless he’s really laying into the wood and has it geared down I can’t see how that could be. It was my impression that the 261 was superior in almost every way….except the plastic handle. He may be confused on his models and actually have a 251 or a 311 something like that. When I get this running and broke in I’m thinking about doing a video comparing a 260 and 261 on same bar.
If you’re certain that your ms261 rim is too small, then yes. You need Oregon small.
261 should be a little faster than a 260

Neither are geared up regarding the inner hub diameter. A 3/8 sprocket is bigger diameter and would be “geared up”. Same as going to a .325 x 8 tooth rim would be. But those saws are probably better with .325x7

If I was going to do anything I’d put a husqvarna muffler on it….I like the way they pop at idle and low speed. Even some of their trimmers do it haven’t figured it out. Kinda like the trademark Harley sound.

I just did the opposite with my 261. I put a 3/8 sprocket on it, so that I could run a 20-inch bar, 3/8 chain. The 260 and the 261 are the same size sprocket. I left the 260 with the .325, as it does not pull as well as the 261. I took the 20-inch .325 bar/chain off the 261 and put it on the 260. My muff modded 260 pulls the .325, 20-inch real well and the 261 does well with the 3/8. Happy, happy.

Latest posts

Back