Can I mix and match stump cutter teeth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
New to stumpgrinding. I have a rayco 1665 with green teeth on the outer pockets only,(20 teeth instead of 32). The inners are empty with no pockets. Can I run convetional cutters and pockets on the inner ring with the greenteeth on the outer? I would like use spares that came with the machine. thanks

You can absolutely run different cutters on your wheel as long as you keep it in balance. I run 3 different types of teeth at the same time. If I were you I would do more research on this forum about the green teeth. Most people either like them or hate them. I personally would not use them.

mtcates said:
You can absolutely run different cutters on your wheel as long as you keep it in balance. I run 3 different types of teeth at the same time. If I were you I would do more research on this forum about the green teeth. Most people either like them or hate them. I personally would not use them.
I agree, I ran green teeth for a while on my Rayco 1625a as lead teeth and the rest rayco teeth. Wheel was completely balanced and the grinder would chew the he!! out of stumps but I ended up blowing out my bearings and clutch due to the extra weight and pounding of the green teeth. Now back to only rayco teeth and no problems. Search the site, you will find many opinions on the green teeth, I would also not recommend them.

I'm hoping the bigger bearings and lack of a clutch on my 1665 will stand up to the greenteeth. I would like to use them because I got a bunch with the machine.
I have a couple beginer questions. Is there a need for straight pockets with greenteeth, (when I look at how they cut it seems I should be able to simplify things and run all rights and lefts)? The standard teeth I have are the heavier rectangle shank with a shoulder on them. My book shows adjusting the outer teeth with a guage, (the square shank without a shoulder), Do I run the shoulder tight against the pocket and disregard the guage with the heavier type? Thanks

It sounds like you have a bunch of Vermeer super teeth, these do not need adjustment, they fit into a specific pocket design. Best to get a picture of what teeth you have and then it would be easier to describe a good setup. As for straight teeth, most of the bigger machines only use 2 or possibly 4 straights in the wheel setup. They are set opposite positions on the wheel. Think of a clock, set at 12:00 , 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00. Some only have 12:00 and 6:00 and are set reverse to each other with a straight and a left at 12:00 and a straight and a right at 6:00. Hope this helps :)

This is a good thread, there is a hidden art to setting up a wheel for a good grind...one day i will get it, in the mean while i will read and set mine up for a good steady grind..with a good sound....i know when my teeth are [email protected] out looking...sharp teeth...nice sound and the machine says hello.......

I looked at the vermeer pockets I was hoping to use; the are wore pretty bad and the threads are rusted enough to make putting them on a real pain(apparently if you put them in a plastic bucket, you can't let it fill up with water). I'm thinking as long as I have to buy new pockets,(6 pairs) I'll get green teeth so I'll be running only greenteeth. If I don't like them, I may get some vermeer pockets to try the heavy vermeer teeth,(I have tons of teeth but short on pockets). Can someone compare vermeer super teeth with greenteeth,(cutting speed, vibration, holding an edge)? Thanks

Dadatwins said:
It sounds like you have a bunch of Vermeer super teeth, these do not need adjustment, they fit into a specific pocket design. Best to get a picture of what teeth you have and then it would be easier to describe a good setup. As for straight teeth, most of the bigger machines only use 2 or possibly 4 straights in the wheel setup. They are set opposite positions on the wheel. Think of a clock, set at 12:00 , 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00. Some only have 12:00 and 6:00 and are set reverse to each other with a straight and a left at 12:00 and a straight and a right at 6:00. Hope this helps :)

That helps alot with regards to straight tooth placement. Mine is not set up right. I think the previous owner was short on lefts and rights. Thanks

I Love Green Teeth

I think they're great.
It's true that you will blow-out your clutch and/or engine on the smaller machines but they have addresses that by making a smaller, light setup for 25 HP machines.
They will work great on your 65HP grinder.
They last, they're cheap for the amount of cutting surface you get and most of all they are very fast to change.
Call Green Teeth for info on the setup for your grinder, they are very helpful.

MOE said:
Can someone compare vermeer super teeth with greenteeth,(cutting speed, vibration, holding an edge)? Thanks

The greenteeth will cut better and outlast the vermeer teeth. I stopped using vermeer teeth they have a tendency to break at the collar where they meet the pocket. The greenteeth are very strong and durable. Because of the extra weight they will put an extra strain on your drive system, clutch,belt,and bearings, and possible wear it out faster, this is the trade-off for the more durable teeth. The new small series greenteeth cut great but you need to keep extra nuts on hand when you rotate the teeth the nuts are usually worn down. I switched to one piece Rayco teeth, They cost more at first to set up an inventory but now I have enough on hand so I get them retipped at 1/2 the price of new. I have chipped a few but they are nearly indestructable. I use them on a Rayco 1625A and a Carlton 7500 series and have been very satisfied.
PS the vermeer pockets are reversable, so if one side is worn down they can be flipped. :)

Latest posts

Back