SC252 Cutter Wheel Removal and replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajacobs

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
New to this site and my first post here, but I’ve been lurking for a while and reading all of your advice for a while, so thanks so much for everything you’ve already done for me!

I purchased a new cutter wheel for my SC252, and the greenteeth upgrade, 6 pockets and 6 teeth. I know it’s basic, but I’m just getting into working on these machines from having a mechanic do it. Any advice or steps on removing the old cutter wheel and putting the new one on?

Any advice at all is appreciated, I can usually find videos or photo steps but my search has been fruitless so far.

Thanks everyone!

-Andrew

Scribe around the pillow blocks with something to get it all close when you put it back together. Depending on timing I might just do the jackshaft and cutter shaft bearings while it’s apart if they have hundreds of hours on them already or hours unknown.

Use a straight edge to line up the sheeves. When all said and done I cannot tuck a piece of paper behind either lip on either pulley on the cutter wheel belt side of things.

Don’t touch the adjusters if you don’t have to. Use them as a guide for re assembly especially the cutter wheel ones.

If the cutter wheel belt doesn’t look like it’s running straight after, it’s not. Mine is smooth as silk with no load, at any rpm, it didn’t look smooth like that till I got those sheeves in perfect alignment. Jackshaft belts I wish looked as good, they bounce some at idle but they smooth out at full tilt.

This thread is mega helpful for lots of things 252 related:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/list-of-upgrades-to-vermeer-sc252.61193/
Hope this helps
Bruce

Back