Can I spray Gumout directly into the carb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is chainsaw maintenance 101. It may seem daunting at first but really it's not hard to properly rebuild a carb and replace lines. Do you like money? If you do then you should be aware that you are going to lose a lot by being lazy. Whether that comes in the form of a can or by taking it to a shop.

I hate shops they always lie and rip you off Tommy Hall excluded!

Whenever I start a saw that hasn't been run in a long time, I don't expect it to run right, but before I adjust it I make sure all the old gas is gone and the carb is flushed with fresh gas. I run it long enough to make sure this has happened then I let it sit overnight, many times that is all you need to do.

Thanks Shawn:

What if I sprayed it in the fuel lines (spark plug removed), and pulled the rope to draw it in to the carb. Then let it sit for awhile. Then flushed the cylinder repeatedly with a fresh gas/oil mix to remove any lingering Gumout.

I don't know how to tear a carb apart. If this simple fix doesn't work, he'll have to take it to a dealer for repair. I just wanna be sure I don't permanently damage something.

Don <><

--it needs to be cleaned out. really, it isn't hard. Go to some local small engine shop and buy a used worn out saw carb for a few dollars. Spray it clean with carb spray, now get a teeny screw driver and take it apart. Lay the pieces out in order, so when you go to reach for them and pick them up, that's the way they go back together. Do it a few times. Take it apart..put it right back together. Do one side at a time. Then both sides. Do this for one hour. That's it, you got it. Added bonus, if you can track down or see the same carb you will be working on as the junker carb. then you can practice on the junker, then clean it and rebuild it, then just swap in the new rebuilt carb.

Inside most carbs is a teeny last ditch screen, those get gunked up. They can be cleaned and/or replaced. Usually a "carb kit" has all new gaskets, needle, that little screen and assorted whatnots, for like ten bucks.

After you have practiced on the junker carb, you can do the real one. Spray out all the passages you will see, the little holes in the carb body.

It ain't hard man, go for it! I bet there is a youtube video or three showing one being taken apart. But really, get a junker to practice on.

Back