Can I use 031 piston & cylinder on a 032?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshineband

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a running 031. I'd like the benefits of electronic chainstop on 032 and can get one fairly cheap with scored piston. Can I just use my cylinder and piston from 031 on the 032 or am I dreaming?

sunshineband said:
I have a running 031. I'd like the benefits of electronic chainstop on 032 and can get one fairly cheap with scored piston. Can I just use my cylinder and piston from 031 on the 032 or am I dreaming?

Just to clarify for you when it says "Electronic Quickstop" it doesn't mean there is an electronic chain break on it. The "Electronic" refers to electronic ignition, instead of points and condenser and the "Quickstop" refers to the chain brake. The chain brake is completely mechanical.

This doesn't impact upon swapping a piston and cylinder onto the 032, but it does seem to be a common mistake where people think the brake is electronic, when it is not.

I did that once, the 031 cylinder has a smaller bore. You had to plug one of the impulse ports. One of the cooling fins has to be modified to get it tightened down, crunch. And I used a 031 muffler and that didn't fit perfect.
But it will work.

Thanks for feedback...

thanks. but this all sounds too complicated/risky. i think i'll just try to find another Stihl (028, 032) that has a chainbrake and sell my 031.

sunshineband said:
thanks. but this all sounds too complicated/risky. i think i'll just try to find another Stihl (028, 032) that has a chainbrake and sell my 031.

Aw c'mon, it ain't that complicated. If the cooling fins need worked, that's a short order with a Dremel, and there's ways to make a muffler fit. But if it's the 45 mm set, then it's a bolt on. Same P/N and everything. I say give it a shot. ;)

Jeff

sunshineband said:

fishhuntcutwood said:
Aw c'mon, it ain't that complicated. If the cooling fins need worked, that's a short order with a Dremel, and there's ways to make a muffler fit. But if it's the 45 mm set, then it's a bolt on. Same P/N and everything. I say give it a shot. ;)

Jeff

Sell them all and get a 361! or an 034 of you want a used cheaper saw. btw, very few 032 had a chain brake... it was an expensive "option".

Latest posts

Back