can someone ID this handle on this Stihl MS362 I purchased

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psu927

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought a MS362 but it has a handle/fuel tank on it that I have never seen before. Was this type of handle on earlier models or is this some aftermarket deal or modification? Just wondering if anyone familiar

Attachments

• 356234202_118942867876112_4135225953263121457_n.jpg
    356234202_118942867876112_4135225953263121457_n.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 5
There are damn near a dozen different versions on that saw, lol.
Have Benson send you all the different IPLs and see what happens.
Or, call your local stihl dealer and give them the SN and then send you a printout of the specific IPL page in question.
I didnt know that. I can't find a parts diagram that matches this one

Bought a MS362 but it has a handle/fuel tank on it that I have never seen before. Was this type of handle on earlier models or is this some aftermarket deal or modification? Just wondering if anyone familiar
That is a "Quick Stop" handle. It automatically applies the chain brake when you release the handle. I think that this on an MS362 was a "trial balloon" for this feature on Stihl saws. I don't think that it was very popular.

That is a "Quick Stop" handle. It automatically applies the chain brake when you release the handle. I think that this on an MS362 was a "trial balloon" for this feature on Stihl saws. I don't think that it was very popular.
I think they call the regular chain brake quick stop and that contraption quick stop plus. I have never seen but one. We've never stocked them, and typically people buy what's on the shelf as far as garden variety saws go.

I think they call the regular chain brake quick stop and that contraption quick stop plus. I have never seen but one. We've never stocked them, and typically people buy what's on the shelf as far as garden variety saws go.
I think that it was a feature waiting for a government regulation! IMHO just adds extra weight and complexity to a saw.

Quick stop plus was available on more than just garden variety saws- you could get it on the MS441 C-MQ and down to the MS241 which are both pro level saws.

Quick stop plus was available on more than just garden variety saws- you could get it on the MS441 C-MQ and down to the MS241 which are both pro level saws.

I guess two interpretations of garden variety. Something sought after but hard to get at times like a MS500I .
If we have a MS441 or MS241 in stock they are not going to order a Quick Stop Plus was what I was getting at.
They will buy what is on the shelf.
And, that is typically the case.

I think that it was a feature waiting for a government regulation! IMHO just adds extra weight and complexity to a saw.

Yeah, just something else to break. But, one of those would have saved me a little blood.
Get tunnel vision with finger off the throttle start climbing out from under something thinking the chain has spooled down, but not quite.

I dare you to say you have been cutting for 50 years and never cut yourself. It's a jinx.

the way i remember it, when those came out around 2009. that is a Q model and was marketed for tree monkeys and grounds keepers. maybe not the most safe people on the planet. its a way for the business owner to keep insurance down or when some a osha safety guy gets brought in. to retrain serial offenders

I just tried it out and the feature doesn't even work on the saw. I am not convinced the handle wasn't replaced at some point, the plastic has a different patina than the rest of the saw. I'm going to pull it apart and check it out later. The yellow sticker is barely readable.

C-Q P is just extra parts and they smoke drum bearings from side loads to the drum from the secondary load applied by a very heavy brake spring assembly. A zip tie cures that problem permanently. Sold one of to Wisconsin last year. It is listed in the saw classifieds here. 362C
Saw was intact all OEM original. Had a bad drum bearing form not being greased is my best guess. It melted 🫠 the cage.

Latest posts

Back