Can these chains be repaired?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dman535

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a new owner of a Husky 455 Rancher and am having issues with the chains. I think its attributed to user error, getting into a place where I heat the bar and get it pinched, which loosens the chain and causes it to get thrown. Its taking a toll on the original husky's chain (lower) which I have already had to file down the drive links.

Both of my chains now have a kink in them. Can these be repaired or am I looking at another new chain?

Any chain recommendations for the 455 Rancher? 20", 3/8, 72DT, .50 gauge.

Thanks

Derek.-
chains.jpg

If your bar is heating up, you got other problems than user error. Check the sprocket, guide rails, sproket nose and what not.

But to answer your original question, the drivers are crooked because the drive links have burrs on them, preventing them from pivoting. Clean up the burrs, and they should run again.

Show a pic of the running part of the sprocket.

There is some serious damage to some cutters as well, hit some metal fence wire?

I have lost 2 chains off my Husky 440 and burred up the drive links. One I was not able to salvage, but the other I was ably to file down the burs and reuse. However, this saw has the "tool-less chain tensioning" feature that needs to be watched carefully to ensure that the chain remains tight. Your 455 will have the standard 2 stud arrangement.

Are you sure that the tensioning pin is in the bar hole and that the bar nuts are tightened down sufficiently? I would suspect that your sprocket is also bunged up too.

if you're not hitting something then something is either wrong with your bar, or you're getting pinched and then maybe night tightening your chains?

I wouldnt bother repairing the bottom one. Those chains suck. the top one looks like RSC--you could have those few links replaced by a dealer who breaks and spins chain. however itl ooks like a lot of the other drive teeth on the chain have been gnarled up. You will have to file these away to the extent that they will fit back in the bar.

... I wouldnt bother repairing the bottom one. Those chains suck. the top one looks like RSC--you could have those few links replaced by a dealer who breaks and spins chain. however itl ooks like a lot of the other drive teeth on the chain have been gnarled up. You will have to file these away to the extent that they will fit back in the bar.

Yes, the bottom one is a re-branded Oregon Vanguard POS, and badly banged up. Just toss it!

The Stihl chain is a really good one, and it can surely be saved.

How many times have you thrown these chains? The drive links are badly damaged and as mentioned there are also a few cutters that are beaten up.
The only time I've ever locked up drivelinks like that is from over spinning them while making them.
If those chains still fit in the bar groove without binding up then I'd say you bar is damaged too. Those burrs on the drivelinks will rip up bar grooves quicksmart.
Is your main drive sprocket also damaged?

An hour and a half later, both chains are up and running again. The guy at the power equipment dealer told me that once a chain gets pinched, its junk. Probably under the guise of selling more new chains.

I think my problem is two fold. One. the chain is not tight enough to begin with. Two. When I am limbing or doing any cut where there is a slightest twist to the bar, it creates a condition to sling the chain off.

Will have to pay greater attention on the next run.

I had to file the burs off the drive links to get the chain to settle in the bar. There are a few nicks on the drive sprocket - but it doesn't seem messed up. I can post a pic later.

How many times have you thrown these chains? The drive links are badly damaged and as mentioned there are also a few cutters that are beaten up.
The only time I've ever locked up drivelinks like that is from over spinning them while making them.
If those chains still fit in the bar groove without binding up then I'd say you bar is damaged too. Those burrs on the drivelinks will rip up bar grooves quicksmart.
Is your main drive sprocket also damaged?

I think my problem is two fold. One. the chain is not tight enough to begin with. Two. When I am limbing or doing any cut where there is a slightest twist to the bar, it creates a condition to sling the chain off.

Yeah loose chains have a habit of flying off, particularly when limbing, and all sorts of damage gets done ;)

yes it's possible to bend chain back into alignment and file off sharp edges on damaged corners....

but dealer is basically correct ... chain is junk

what's your time worth?

what about damage to bar groove from running a bent chain?
is it worth it taking risk chain will come flying off at speed?

get some new chains and probably a new bar too
unless you've got tools to re-size groove and draw file top edge of bar back to square again.

a good way to tell if bar/chain/sprocket combination is working correctly...
after tightening chain to correct tension (no slack but moves easily)

rotate chain several rotations.... your chain tension should remain constant
if chain pinches at spots.... pitch chain, try it again with new chain.

if chain still has tight spots, replace drive sprocket... repeat
a properly maintained chain will rotate without change in tension

An hour and a half later, both chains are up and running again. The guy at the power equipment dealer told me that once a chain gets pinched, its junk. Probably under the guise of selling more new chains.

Will have to pay greater attention on the next run.

Last edited:
my rails get pretty warm while slury bar oil so id say a certain amount of heat is okay and normal

always before cutn make sure you getn some oil of the tip of the bar and even lift the drive links out of the rails and make sure they have oil on them. do not cut if its dry.

Latest posts

Back