Can this original McCulloch bar be repaired?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
I've got a Mac bar that came with the 250 I recently purchased at an auction. The saw is in great shape as is the chain. However the bar has some significant damage and I'm wondering if it is worth trying to repair? I'd like to keep the saw as original as possible that's why I'm asking such an unusual question. If not repairable what bars should I be looking at to replace it? I'm guessing it is an 18" bar as measured.

attachment.php

Here's why I'd like to salvage this bar. I believe it is the original bar that came with the saw as the saw seems to have minimal use like the bar.

attachment.php

And here is a close-up of the damaged tip. Can I weld the chip? I doubt it but would like all you expert's advice. The bar won't be used for a lot of cutting mostly for display. The other side of the bar is not damaged. Again, if someone knows of a similar bar to replace it I'd be interested. Thanks...

attachment.php

View attachment 274669View attachment 274670View attachment 274671

It can be fixed, but isn't worth the trouble or expense unless you have a sentimental reason to do so. An 18" Solid Welded Tip bar is plentiful and in much better shape. Could be the picture, but it looks like someone attacked the rails with a 4" grinder.

It can be fixed, but isn't worth the trouble or expense unless you have a sentimental reason to do so. An 18" Solid Welded Tip bar is plentiful and in much better shape. Could be the picture, but it looks like someone attacked the rails with a 4" grinder.

Yeah I really expected that to be the case but thought I'd just check in since guys here come up with some pretty incredible solutions to problems. I think you are right about the rails being "attacked". Only one side has the fresh grind/file marks. The other side doesn't but has rough edges that could use filing down.

I've looked on eBay for a replacement the past couple of months but haven't seen a bar that matched this one or was a direct replacement for it. Any ideas as where else to look? I have a nice old bar from my Mac 10-10a but it is 3000 miles away right now and not worth the drive to check it out. :rolleyes2:

Thanks for the quick reply.

It would be much easier to just get another bar. Should be plenty on fee-bay, or even from someone here. If your luck with a Mac is anything like mine has been, that bar should work fine.....:laugh:

If you can't find the right bar just watch Ebay for a saw that might not be running that has a good bar. I sold a few old Macs before that didn't bring a whole lot and they had real nice bars and chains.

WOW guys...Thanks for the incredible responses! I've PM'd some of you with follow-up info. I've not done too much with this saw yet (superficial cleaning only) but did look at the cyl & piston today through the muffler port and it looks excellent.

Cut that section out with the Mac emblem on it, have it bronzed, and proudly hang it from the rear-view mirror of your truck.

Nice idea. I just might do that if I get a replacement.

If you can't find the right bar just watch Ebay for a saw that might not be running that has a good bar. I sold a few old Macs before that didn't bring a whole lot and they had real nice bars and chains.

I've been doing that but all the ads so far want more for the saws with bars than I paid in total for this saw and I really don't want to start collections "parts" saws - the wife barely tolerates my collecting nice saws. LOL Playing with the bar today I did notice that the clutch cover has one of it's bolt holes broken out. Still useable but not as stable as I'd want. I wonder what the owner of this saw did to damage (take a chunk out of) the bar tip and damage the clutch cover?

Here are some more pics of the saw...

Here is the bar pattern I'm trying to match. CPR's bars seem to have the identical pattern:

attachment.php

Then here are a couple of pics showing the condition of the saw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

From my research I'm guessing this is one of the earliest 250s ie from 1962 because of the serial number and some of the parts that match the 1962 ipl:

attachment.php

I haven't tried to start the saw yet but it seems to have good compression and looks lightly used. These are the types of saws I like to "collect" ie ones that are in good condition - not needing a lot of restoration.

View attachment 274896View attachment 274897View attachment 274898View attachment 274899

On another subject this saw came with a nearly new Stihl .404 chain. But looking closely at it today it looks like it has been run quite a bit as the links seem to show considerable wear along the bar rails. Also it appears to have been "sharpened" at least once but doesn't look like they got to the tooth just filed the gullet (or is this the way the gullet on a new chain looks?). Am I seeing things right? (Sorry for not cleaning the chain more before photographing but I didn't realize how dirty it was until I started to upload these pics).

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 274908View attachment 274909

Bar Repair

If you are going for a shelf saw just want the bar to look good all you need to do is get some sheet aluminum just thick enough to snugly fit in the guide track and then fill in the broken out area with weld. A mig welder with stainless wire should work. Then with small grinder dress up the weld,pull out the aluminum and away you go! To me, the cutter looks to be made with that rolled edge. I'm not a professional, actually not even much of an amateur.

Ray

Last edited:
That chain looks unsharpened to me.

I kinda thought that too but with the amount of wear on the links I'm not sure - that is unless someone just left it running and doing no cutting. :msp_smile:

If you are going for a shelf saw just want the bar to look good all you need to do is get some sheet aluminum just thick enough to snugly fit in the guide track and then fill in the broken out area with weld. A mig welder with stainless wire should work. Then with small grinder dress up the weld,pull out the aluminum and away you go! To me, the cutter looks to be made with that rolled edge. I'm not a professional, actually not even much of an amateur.

Ray

That's the kind of suggestion I was looking for. I just might try it...

Back