Can This Red Elm Be Saved !?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's assume for the moment that Yin's little root project is a total success, the Red elm regenerates some new roots to carry on it's life functions and suffers no ill effects.

The question I have here is are these new roots a suitable replacement for the original roots to provide the stability and anchorage for the tree in the future????

Guy, are those trees still alive out in Nebraska???

Larry

More than likely...what??? Erik your mini-posts are cryptic.

The pic I saw showed a tall undermined tree near a house. Duh??

It'd be interesting to hear what you see there, EL. From the pic the message I get is, don't park under that thing, or let your kid play in that yard.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
More than likely...what??? Erik your mini-posts are cryptic.

The pic I saw showed a tall undermined tree near a house. Duh??

You know Guy, sometimes a question can be answered with less than a 10,000 word essay.

Axman's hypothesis:"Let's assume for the moment that Yin's little root project is a total success, the Red elm regenerates some new roots to carry on it's life functions and suffers no ill effects."

Axman's question:"The question I have here is are these new roots a suitable replacement for the original roots to provide the stability and anchorage for the tree in the future????"

The answer, based on the hypothetical question:"More than likely".

Pretty simple, eh?

Originally posted by netree
are these new roots a suitable replacement for the original roots to provide the stability and anchorage for the tree in the future????"

The answer, based on the hypothetical question:"More than likely". Pretty simple, eh?
Too simple. Risk assessment is not ever that simple.
What's really confusing is the wrongness of the answer. How many years of new root growth will it take to replace the lost stability? 5? 10? And what will hold the tree up in the storms during that time?

And what about the decay that will march into the trunk during this time? If you get a chance to look at that mess, maybe you can give us a risk assessment. That undermined one leaning toward the house looks like an urban logging opportunity, pure and simple.

DIY tree care, aided by snippets of info from the internet, results in a mess.

Well, assuming as the hypothesis does that the tree doesn't fail, and does grow new roots, the answer is correct. Time is irrelevant, since it's undefined.

I wasn't suggesting that it was likely.

FWIW...

I know Tony (Yin) personally. He's netiher a fool nor an idiot.

Cut the guy some slack, will ya's?

Originally posted by netree
He's netiher a fool nor an idiot.
Neither am I (I hope), but I do foolish and idiotic things sometimes. Make that MANY times. :blush:

When you look at that yard, you can tell us if the wall idea was f & i. No way a wall with a continuous footing (have you heard of pier and post?) could be built through a grove that tight without structural damage. Was there?

Balance between the crown and the root system is important for maintaining healthy trees.When roots are lost for any reason,the imbalance creates stress.A tree usually has 4-7 major roots.Cutting just one of them a few feet from the trunk can remove 25% of the root system.

If roots are severed within the dripline for a permanent grade change,the roots that are cut off are gone forever.
There is no place for them to regenerate.The tree will be under stress permanently and decline is likely if more than 25% of the root system is removed.In such situations,giving the tree extra water during summer dry periods and thinning the crown may help minimize and delay the decline.

Soil Excavation: A temporary soil excavation,such as for a uttility installation or repair,may result in significant root loss,but if the soil is replaced afterward(with the topsoil placed back on top)
recovery is possible.If the roots can regenerate into the restored site soil.Extra care (primarily watering) will be required for many years during restoration of the lost roots.

Source:
Root Injury and Tree Health
By Gary W. Watson
Obtained through the ISA

The tree also has some hazard issues being that close to the house. I would have it removed.

:(

Yin you Tree Huggin Feller, open your arms wide!:D

With that much lean and that much root loss, that elm may be felled by wind and rain, so you may be huggin it while sitting in your house.:eek:

gAH! But doesnt it look nice ? Kill Yin !!! Jeez . I've sined in the holy temple heh. I really should do some jail time for this. What was I thinking ? loL!
What happened sunday Erik ? Did you see me out somewhere? Hows the truck btw ?

Originally posted by Yin
gAH! . I've sined in the holy temple heh. I really should do some jail time for this. What was I thinking ? loL!

Yin, I think if you go before the high priests of AS, ask for forgivness, they will cleanse you of your sins, as they are ones who hold the power of absolution to forgive you of the unrighteous act you have committed to a tree. :D :D

Larry

Originally posted by Ax-man
Yin, I think if you go before the high priests of AS, ask for forgivness, they will cleanse you of your sins, as they are ones who hold the power of absolution to forgive you of the unrighteous act you have committed to a tree.
Cute, Larry, but only half-right. To get forgiveness for a crime, you must go straight to the victim. Working through a middleman will not get you there.

Yin, you gotta talk to the tree(s) and see if they can figure out your culpability, and prescribe a penance. You'll get your chance when that elm falls on your house, but you may want to act sooner than that.

We have no idea what you were thinking, so while we bemoan your treesin, we cannot judge you. Not our yob.

That slope is eroding for lack of shrubs, groundcover and mulch. Good landscaping would have cost far less than the wall, and benefited the trees instead of hacking their roots.

Another doityourself project, all turfgrass and hardscape. Sorry we're so hard on ya here Yin, but we see too many trees messed up because the Yang is not there.

Erik I do try to keep in touch . I work 72 hours a week and between work and home I haven't time for much else. I kept calling home from work to see if you had shown up. Understandibly you couldnt make it because of your driveshaft in your ford. Good Job in fixing it yourself btw ;)
Actually heres one of the latest PM's I sent ya.

Are you ready for this ??? I hope so ;)
Ok . I think I'm done posting to this thread. I've had enough. Why is it that I cant get a simple F@#$%ng answer withOut getting bashed by some god almighty. Eric. Truly. It isnt as bad as it looks. As for sunday I'll be at work. It appears that the majority of the roots for the trees are actually going uphill. Man all I do is feel bad when I ask questions. I think that people may just suck in general. I am thankfull for the posts that you and AxMan made. It was good to see that it's not all doom and gloom. loL! He says 1000+ for this project ! LAFF! It would have taken more than seed and shrubs to retain this beast . The amount of lumber that was rotted due to the grade being up against the garage is huge !!
G&H wanted way too much bling for the job. Prolly because they are so booked.
The guys I went with were a little more reasonable with price. They are doing a great job.
If you and Axe hadnt posted I would have taken that Elm the first day.
I think I'll just lerk here and avoid swimming with the sharks. Thank you for the help man. I'm giving these trees all I got. I'll send you a picture of the end result.

Tony

Welcome to Arborist Site.. Noobs Need Not Apply.
That is truly the message I get here. There are very few posts from newcomers that havent been bashed or put down in some way. It's beyond constructive criticism. Its ???? discouraging.
If you arent seasoned (pun intended or known you might as well forget being respected as anything else here.

*Residential Treecare Forum*
Homeowners, this is your chance to ask the pros advice and questions. [add] And possibly get your @55 bashed in here for posting [/add]

Sorry for venting bro I'm just burnt out on this. Maybe someone can learn from this thread at the expence of me :/
Take care.

I posted pictures in the past on how badly the grade took over the garage and the fact that it couldnt be included in my homes appraisal because of the damage that was caused by it. I couldnt remove it myself and figured I'd have some professionals do it. I think it looks good. If I have to remove the Elm so be it . It's hard to see the big picture when you are sitting in front of a monitor. It needed to be done and so its done. I never intended for root damage to happen but it did. I'll stop wasting all of your time and stop posting here. It kinda soOks that out of all you guys only two people were willing to convey their points and views like gentelmen and not grumpy old men with black and white , right or wrong attitudes. I should leave this place feeling that I obtained knowledge in a positive way and not feel like **** for posting quesions in a forum that was intended for that purpose.

ciao

Originally posted by Yin
. It's hard to see the big picture when you are sitting in front of a monitor.
Yin you're right about that, but an earlier pic showed quite a lean. Sorry to be so negative, but I hate the sight of turfgrass where other plants belong, it's a rainy day, and I lost an election. Came in 4th.

Go ahead and post, I'll take my :angry: elsewhere.

Peace! :angel:

You spoke to the landscapers several times about the care you have for your trees. Since you know about this site why did you not ask the Arborists on this site first?

I think you did not ask because you knew they would tell you it
would not be a good idea to build that wall around those trees.
You know Guy would give you the real deal on the trees.
You had already made up your mind about the wall and no one was going to talk you out of it.

Then when you see the damage the digging caused you came here looking for help. Well we gave you the correct answer
when we told you to cut it down.No amount of moss or magic
powder is going to reverse the damage you caused to those trees.Now you are blaming those people who would have helped you from the beginning.Bottom Line-You traded those trees for
a wall. It is as bad as it looks!

:blob2:

Latest posts

Back