Can this tree be saved??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
I inadvertently 'topped' a small evergreen (Hemlock) tree today while taking down some Alder trees on my lot. This is a 'volunteer' tree that I had been pampering for the last 3 years. It was about 12' tall and I took the top 2' off of it.

My question is...will it continue to grow somewhat normally with the top off or will it be severely deformed? Should I just remove it and plant a new tree?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'd leave it and see what it looks like in a couple of years. Pay attention to how many upright leaders grow from around the cut area. You will want to pick the strongest looking one and prune the rest off.
Around here hemlocks get sheared into shrubs all the time and live, though prosper is another thing.

I agree with Mike. I'm no expert, but a clean cut would seem to be less prone to infestation. It should come back fine.

Some years ago a tree fell on a Norway spruce I had grown from a seedling. It was about 12' high. Bent it over about halfway up and cracked open. I pulled it straight,staked it, wrapped something (duct tape?) securely around the broken area. It's now about 40' tall - same as two others next to it. No sign of the break, tree looks healthy.

Yes Buzz...I've done the same thing more than once. I'm partial to electrical tape because it will stretch as the tree grows and actually get brittle and fall off at eventually.

Unfortunately, when I tried to do it with this tree it was just hanging on by a piece of bark and I couldn't salvage it. :bang:

Latest posts

Back