Can you burn pine? Not a simple yes or no answer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy down the street had a large pine log he was going to throw out and he asked me if I wanted it. I said no. Then he asked me if I would cut it up for him so he could throw it out. I retrieved my saw and started cutting it up only to find it was full of pitch. I got to thinking that "man" this would make some great starter wood. I brought it home and processed it and put it in the shed. I'm still burning it some 3 years later. I started burning it the next year after I got it. I still have a little left. Makes a great short hot fire when I just need to take the edge off as well as starter wood. I don't burn it often. When I was a kid we burned a lot of pine at the hunting cabin because thats all we had. Never had a creosote issue burning pine.
Just make sure you burn it hot most of the time to keep the creosote down. We always burned at least one good hot fire every 24 hours of burn time. That should be plenty to burn off any build up.

It's not the type of wood or weather it's green or not. It's how hot the fire is that makes or doesn't produce creosote.
doesnt matter how hot you build the fire, the moisture in the wood wont get over 212f before it makes steam. That steam will stay 212 degrees all the way to the top of the chimney. Once the moisture has all boiled off, that hot fire will ignite the creosote deposited by the steam and create a chimney fire. Pine is one wood I will burn a ton of, but i dont burn it, or even buck it up, until the bark is falling off.

For all those in favour of burning pine, how long do you season it for and do you leave it in lengths for a while uncut to get rid of the sap before cutting it it to log lengths / splitting it?
Here, we have loads of Southern Yellow Pine. Cut it live/green, split it right away or when I can get to it, then let it sit for a year and I have had no issues. When I find a piece with a pocket of pitch, I'll dry it and cut it to 10" length and hatchet spit it into small 1/4" thick pieces to light the fire with. Put the flaming end out in the ashes and reuse it the next day. Can last a long time doing that.

It just burns quick but I dont care. If it resembles wood and is dried, it goes in the wood stove.

Latest posts

Back