Can you identify these rounds of free firewood I picked up? (Round 3)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Spider. Already on Nat Gas, but trying to eliminate my heating bill entirely. I don't have a stove insert yet, but trying real hard to get 2 years ahead now so I can buy this summer.

Chip... if there is stuff left to cut, and you're just bored and you'd like to exercise your saw(s), sure, let me know. Would welcome the help!

And if it is indeed silver maple... oh well. Beggars can't be choosers. I saw this in CL and jumped on it since i had the long weekend and no wood to cut. Trying very hard to finish collecting 2 years worth (I think my <2k sq foot house will take <4 cords a year) asap.

My house is 2000 sq feet and I havent burned 2 cords yet. I have about a 2/3 of 1 cord left that should get me through the winter I hope. This is my first full season burning with no other source of heat. Last year put stove in beg. of jan. I think 4 would be plenty if your house is insulated good

Well CTYank, u know I'm a rookie and identifying trees is difficult for me.

Glad to hear it is Sugar Maple in your opinion. In fact the guy who delivered it mentioned he had another container full of sugar maple he was delivering to another fellow. Perhaps this was the same, though he did not state it explicitly.

Either way, it will be cut stacked and split. :)

No way silver maple- if it were, you could identify it by the low density, even green. (Gotta use all available properties to id wood, you know.) That bark is a dead give-away.

Check out SUGAR MAPLE in the .pdf publication I gave you, you know "Important Forest Trees Of The Eastern United States." Another clue: it's known to Yankees also as "rock maple"- any guesses as to why.

If you've ever laid hands on silver maple, you'd never confuse it with sugar maple. :msp_rolleyes:

Everything I've read says I need 3-4 cords. My house was built in 1957 and nothing special about it's insulation, very average for this one story ranch. I will say I get decent solar gain in some rooms though with a south facing backyard. I have no flippin' idea how many cords I'll need, but my pissed off Fiancee sure does. ;)

My house is 2000 sq feet and I havent burned 2 cords yet. I have about a 2/3 of 1 cord left that should get me through the winter I hope. This is my first full season burning with no other source of heat. Last year put stove in beg. of jan. I think 4 would be plenty if your house is insulated good

The other kicker is I want a Blaze King princess Insert that is very efficient, so perhaps I won't go through that much wood, who knows.

Everything I've read says I need 3-4 cords. My house was built in 1957 and nothing special about it's insulation, very average for this one story ranch. I will say I get decent solar gain in some rooms though with a south facing backyard. I have no flippin' idea how many cords I'll need, but my pissed off Fiancee sure does. ;)

Its been mild so far this winter but I figure on 3 cords for myself each year too. I only had 2 and a little bit extra of real dry wood and about 1/2 of almost ready for this year. next season I will be in good shape because I have about 3 split already and another 4 waiting to split. Plus a friend gave me full access to about 50 plus white oak and some other hard and soft woods that came down on property. Itsa 1/4 mile from my house.

Well CTYank, u know I'm a rookie and identifying trees is difficult for me.

Glad to hear it is Sugar Maple in your opinion. In fact the guy who delivered it mentioned he had another container full of sugar maple he was delivering to another fellow. Perhaps this was the same, though he did not state it explicitly.

Either way, it will be cut stacked and split. :)

Im new to identify trees too. I have to get a cam so I can post pics to get help like you are doing.

The last photo certainly appears to be of white oak. Where the bark is skinned off, that's a telltale sign.

The other appears to be maple (I'm presuming) but not sure which variety. If it's rock maple, you've got a very nice score there. Rock, or sugar maple isn't indigenous to this area, I'd have guessed silver maple. Silver grows like weeds in this part of the country.

The best method for determining how much firewood you'll need is a year of experience. Get a few cords laid in ahead. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. :)

It looks like red maple, similar to silver maple. In the second post there are a few pieces of oak on the right side of the pile, maybe red oak?

The last photo certainly appears to be of white oak. Where the bark is skinned off, that's a telltale sign.

I cut close to 20 cords of white oak a year. My favorite wood.
I see nothing in those photos that looks like white oak. Especially the red color under the bark.

Definately not silver maple. Looks more like red maple to me, possibly sugar maple, would need to see more pics though. Last pic is oak, red or black.

Looks more like red maple to me than anything else.

Doesn't look like any of the sugar maples that I have on my property either.

So has anyone changed their mind on the type of wood I have?

Oh, and I almost forgot... the finale:

View attachment 274489

I figured these were carpenter ants (they like wood, right?). They seemed to be almost in hibernation. Whatever they were, I knew I did not want them in my house (eventually). So I took some lighter fluid and burned the face of the log. I figured it was the only way toe ensure they were all dead.

I think the first round is quite round, the second round not so round more oblong than round, the third round must have been named by picaso as it hardly looks round atall :)

Oh silver maple me thinks.

Last edited:
you have quite a variety of wood there.

First pics are cottonwood, then red oak, then red maple.

The second to last pic is sugar maple.

You can tell the oak by the dark red centers. And its heavy lol

the maples will be lighter colored wood when you cut into them

oh i forgot don't worry about the ants they will be gone once you split and stack the wood.

IF you're gonna burn maple, gotta get used to ants:bang::bang:

Pics in last 2 posts look like what everyone in a previous thread agreed was norway maple, some in the first 2 posts looked like sugar maple, there may be some that are a variety of red oak, don't believe there is white oak of any variety. Didn't see any that looks like silver maple tome, and there is a ton of it around here.

Last edited:
Back