Can't Believe It Didn't Blow! Part 2 with Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
As a lot of you guys know, I ran my saw with half of the mix oil it was supposed to have, and this went on for over 2 years. I dug out my paperwork and found I purchased the saw new on 9/26/09. From that day until yesterday, I cut and split in the neighborhood of 200 full cords of red oak. Was probably more than that, but that is a close enough guess.

I removed the muffler today as many of you suggested, and took a look inside. Looked just fine to me, so I took it to the mechanic at the dealer where I purchased it. He was amazed, every thing looked great inside! So we did a comp check and it showed 157!

While I had the muff off, I did a little mod to it. I cut in to the top front about 1.25 inches wide, and up towards the top about a half inch, bent it open and drilled 3 - 7/32 holes in the cat. Then I welded the sides back up,leaving the front angled down at a 45 degree angle. welds turned out so bad, I decided not to show that to you guys. Dang welder didnt want to weld that thin material. It is super loud now but cuts like a banshee!

I did take pics of the P&C. They are not the best but you guys wanted pics so here they are:

View attachment 211524View attachment 211525View attachment 211526View attachment 211527

The blurry one is supposed to be the cylinder wall, but it is pretty hard to see.

I think Husky should buy my saw back from me and do more research on it! 100:1 mix for over 2 years! Thats gotta be a record for longevity of a machine owned by an idiot! :msp_razz:

Ted

Hush. Don't you know the epa is why saw manufacturers run such a "lean" mix as 50:1? lol

Truth is under most conditions, 50:1 is far more oil than the saw actually needs and has a considerable safety margin. It just makes some guys feel all warm and fuzzy inside to do something other than what the designers recommend.

Latest posts

Back