Cant hook or log lift? just not from WD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indycuts

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, I tried to save a few bucks and ordered a Cant Hook/log lifter from Woodland direct. OMG what a mistake! I ordered the dam thing on the 19th of DEC and I email em yesterday to find out why I did not get a tracking number or any type of notice on the shipping and here is what they tell me.

"Thank you for shopping with Woodland Direct!
We are sorry to inform you that the log lifter on your recent order has been discontinued. Although we try our best to maintain inventory that is 100% accurate, there are rare occasions where we may run out of an item and are unable to obtain additional stock from the manufacturer"

well, at least they did refund my money after I filed a paypal dispute!

Sorry for the rant
anyway, my question is...
they had this log lift for 79.00 but it was a no name.
I am looking at the woodchuck quad from baileys or the logrite 60" extreme duty cant hook. Obviously my attempt to save a few bucks backfired but I really need a cant hook that can turn logs 30 or more inches and thats what drew me to the cheapo listed above. (they claimed it would turn 30" logs.)
any opinions on the woodchuck or the logrite?
woodchuck spec says it can turn 24" logs. The logrite extreme seems like its more along the lines of what I am looking for but the woodchuck seems pretty cool

I assume 2tree was referring to the woodchuck quad and thats what I am leaning too...lol
True, I really should have both but funds are tight!

I don't think I am.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Sorry, I was not clear in my original post.
I was asking for feedback on the woodchuck quad from baileys or the logrite 60" extreme duty cant hook.

No matter though, I appreciate the insight on what works best for you. That is sure better on the wallet!

That quad pro looks neat but seems to have a lot of gizmos to get in the way or break.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

From Bailey's catalog (my comments in red): "Made with American ingenuity, the Woodchuck Quad is a log holder (never needed one, pointless waste of time), log lifter(never needed one, pointless waste of time), cant hook (great tool to have, too bad this isn't a good one), and a post remover in one (get a real post puller if you need to pull posts). Stop grounding your chain and elevate your cutting with the Woodchuck."

There is no reason to buy additional hardware to keep from grounding your chain. Learn some proper technique, ask some questions here at AS, and never waste time with a log holder. I would make 4-10 cuts before you got that contraption set up and holding a log for your first cut. Log lifters are only effective on logs too small to need lifting. A peavy or cant hook is really good to have, but only if you are rolling a large or difficult log. The Bailey's tool looks like the hook is far too short to roll a big log, which is what they are for.

Best money spent on bucking logs and firewood? Get a peavy or cant hook, an axe, and a bunch of plastic wedges. Nothing else needed.

Last edited:
From Bailey's catalog (my comments in red): "Made with American ingenuity, the Woodchuck Quad is a log holder (never needed one, pointless waste of time), log lifter(never needed one, pointless waste of time), cant hook (great tool to have, too bad this isn't a good one), and a post remover in one (get a real post puller if you need to pull posts). Stop grounding your chain and elevate your cutting with the Woodchuck."

There is no reason to buy additional hardware to keep from grounding your chain. Learn some proper technique, ask some questions here at AS, and never waste time with a log holder. I would make 4-10 cuts before you got that contraption set up and holding a log for your first cut. Log lifters are only effective on logs too small to need lifting. A peavy or cant hook is really good to have, but only if you are rolling a large or difficult log. The Bailey's tool looks like the hook is far too short to roll a big log, which is what they are for.

Best money spent on bucking logs and firewood? Get a peavy or cant hook, an axe, and a bunch of plastic wedges. Nothing else needed.
Now we are talkin! I was able to cancel the order on the woodchuck and I will be just getting a simple cant hook!
Thats exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for but I dont type very well and got lost in my rant so I do appreciate your common sense approach in giving feedback on the woodchuck.
as I look at the pictures of the woodchuck in action, it seemed to me that your views are right on the money!
Thanks!

All of my cant hooks have come from farm auctions. Usually a couple of bucks for one with a broken handle. Spend $15 at the hardware store for a new handle or make it yourself from a hickory sapling. I have been using one for 30 years with a homemade handle.

I have not got mine yet but I ordered the logrite 48" cant hook so I hope to be saving my back on the large logs real soon!
hmmm, we do have our share of farm auctions out here so I may just give that a shot for some goodies, Thanks!

Back