Cant hooks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size cant hook to get

• Logrite 60"

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Logrite 48"

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Cheapie 48"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Who's got them? What length handles are you guys using? I'm looking at a logrite 60" but don't know if it's overkill, I'm going to start milling and have a couple of logs in the 4000-6000lb range. Most of the time I think I'll be using it for large firewood rounds or logs that are smaller than that. Are logrite's worth the extra coin? I'm usually a buy once cry once kind of guy.

What's the biggest log you've moved with a 48" cant hook?

Any advice would be great!

Got a 4ft cheaper one, timber tuff I think. Used a couple years now, works well. No issues. Usually look for a spots where I can cut thru the log so I don't have to roll entire thing. But that's cause of back issues & not the hook. Has a bigger hook than my old one, (someone borrowed it from my truck) nice for bigger logs but sometimes hard to get a grip on smaller stuff.

I have an older cant hook with a wood handle that's about 48".
My opinion is this, the longer the handle the easier it is to move stuff. The logrite hooks look to be of quality.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have had a 60" logrite for about 10 years now, works great, never have to worry about breaking it.

I also have a 42" for around my sawmill

I have had a 60" logrite for about 10 years now, works great, never have to worry about breaking it.

I also have a 42" for around my sawmill

Is the 60" too cumbersome to use on smaller logs and big rounds? I'd think it gets to be a pain in the butt because it's so big.

I wouldn't use a 60" very often personally, but I own a tractor with a loader. I use my logrite 30" mill special all the time and I'm glad it's not longer.

And yes, the logrites are worth the money. Get yourself a pickaroon while you're at it. You can thank me later. ;)

I wouldn't use a 60" very often personally, but I own a tractor with a loader. I use my logrite 30" mill special all the time and I'm glad it's not longer.

And yes, the logrites are worth the money. Get yourself a pickaroon while you're at it. You can thank me later. ;)

I don't have a tractor.... it'll be a while before I get one too, lol I'll probably end up with a 60" I'd rather deal with the extra length than have to struggle moving the bigger stuff. I'm not sure how much of a pain it will be to use on smaller stuff.

I have three cant hooks, one is a Logrite... As I get older, the longest one works better and better! lol

IF, it's your only cant hook, get the longest one...

I have a tractor/loader, but I still like my long "wood handled" cant hook.

I really don't care for my Logrite, I just hate how fat the handle is at the end and how it feels in my hand...

SR

I don't use mine often but I bought the super duty long all steel Logrite. If I had it over would of got the lighter aluminum 1 with the long handle. I have a couple of old short handle ones to. Smaller stuff I prefer the shorter 1's. There is no danger of human strength breaking the handle of the all steel 1 though and plenty of leverage for most applications.

I have a 48" cant hook and two peaveys, 30" for log deck work and 48".
I think a cant hook works better, grips better, on large single logs the size you mentioned.
I use the peaveys but again, they do not bite the log, they just hook it, and the larger the log the more I found the tip can slip, can pull back towards the hook. The peaveys are more versatile with multiple logs piled up. You can pry, push/pull endwise as well, and stick the tool upright in the ground vs laying them down when not using.

Mine are Log-rite, and I like the easy to spot bright blue color. Shows up well when using in the woodlot, and also in the trailer, so I know its going home as well.
Log-Rite's have a tough foam wrapped handle that I'm somewhat protective of when piling tools in to go. Mine has a few tiny chunks out of it, but it is very tough, dense, and a solid grip, barehanded or with gloves. I like their tool.
I have thought of welding a small bump stop at the base of the handle so the hook can not swing back to the handle and pinch my hand/fingers when I grab the handle low near the hook, as in carrying it horizontal.

I have a 60 and it's great for big logs.

Ideally I'd like a 60 and maybe a short one like 18 inches that gives you just enough leverage when you don't want to use the big one.

Sandhill just laid out my perfect arguments on peavey vs cant hook.

Peavey is great for prying and I love the ability to stick it in the ground. Easy to find and during a long day it beats bending over to pick it up. Seems like a small thing but it adds up.

Cant hook seems to grab better for me anyway. The tip on the peavey slips a lot.

Oh my final thought is cant hook and a good pry bar is my personal set up. Your mileage may vary.

Here's the three I use,

standard.jpg

I like the one in the center best.

SR

Yeah I think I'm going with the 60" logrite when I can swing it... need new tires on the dually first :envy:

I have three. The short one is roughly 40", a 5.5' and one about 8.5' that is adjustable hook diameter for big heavy logs. I keep the points sharp so they bite deep and don't break out of the wood. They all have their place but I use them all. Wear a hard hat with the long one if I'm pulling towards me-long story, but I had it break out once and smacked me hard to the ground. Changed the jaw tip on that one to a sharp chisel point. It's a custom I made myself out of necessity. Use it quite a bit. No pics at the moment. All cant hooks

Back