Can't start EchoCS440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgehrig4

Reaction score
Hello everyone!....new here

I purchased this chainsaw yesterday from Home Depot. Filled with proper fuel mixture and chain oil. Pulled out choke, turned on ignition switch and must have pulled about 40 times with not so much as a sputter.

I also tried with the throttle maxed (according to manual for difficult starts). Whecked spark plug which seemed to be connected securely. Tried as well with the choke in :bang:

Any advice?

One more question. The brochure mentioned that this saw has a pro-fire electronioc start system. I took this to mean electric start which doesn't sem to be the case. does anyone know exactly what this is?

Thanks
Jeff

Hello and welcome,
I don't know much about the 440,but,is there a primer that you need to pump prior to starting?If you don't get to the bottom of it,take it back as soon as you can.Good luck.
Mark

lgehrig4 said:
Pulled out choke, turned on ignition switch and must have pulled about 40 times[snip]

Any advice?

Yeah, don't pull it over 40 times with the choke on. You'll flood the engine. :)

carvinmark said:
Hello and welcome,
I don't know much about the 440,but,is there a primer that you need to pump prior to starting?If you don't get to the bottom of it,take it back as soon as you can.Good luck.
Mark

I checked but couldn't find one. I also checked the manual which doesn't reference one either. Manual kind of sucks to be honest.

Pull the spark plug out and see if it is really wet, if it is then take it away from the saw and light it with a match or lighter to remove the excess gas or let it sit there for 30 min. or so. then start all over again, if it doesn't "pop" in 4-5 pulls, pull the plug again and see if it has a spark. Hook the plug up to the coil wire after removing it, MAKE SURE THE PLUG AND CYLINDER ARE DRY FIRST!!!!, put the plug on something metal and pull the rope over while watching the plug for a nice blue spark. No spark, take it back now!!! If it has spark then let it sit longer and try again. If the plug is dry, take it back now!!!
Hope this helps,
Andy

If the saw has a primer bulb, you may want to NOT use it.

A friend of mine recently picked up a new Stihl blower with a primer bulb. The owners manual suggested priming it some number of times prior to starting it in the customary fashion - choke until it first fires over, then no choke after that. Well, being that he is disposed towards following directions, he did what the book said.

He couldn't get the thing to start to save his life, his father couldn't get it to start, his neighbor couldn't get it to start. Over the course of a three-day weekend they only got it to start two times.

So I came over to look at it a couple days later. It was stone cold and I picked it up, choked it, gave it two pulls. And it fired. After it fully cooled off again, I tried it per the instructions - priming first. It took fifty pulls to start after the suggested 5 pumps on the primer, or whatever exactly it was that the manual said.

This may not be the cause of your problem, but it is food for thought anyway. Good luck!

AS you know already, there are only three major things it could be. fuel, compression or ignition. if the plug is wet, dry it good, spin the motor over without the plug in it, noting the igniton switch should be OFF for this.

if no spark, check that your ignition switch is in the ON positon before doing ANYTHING else, that could be the whole issue right there. if it is, and it doesnt fire, take it back.

Well, the good news I got it started! Took out the plug, checked for spark, cleaned it and put it back in. It wouldn't start with the choke out, but it did show life with the choke in and the throttle locked open. This is how it started.

I ran it for about a minute or 2 gunning it lightly and I notice a small amount dirty fuel spitting out from the side of the exhaust and onto the plastic where the chain goed into the housing.

Should I be concerned or is this just a product of a flooded engine?

computeruser said:
If the saw has a primer bulb, you may want to NOT use it.

A friend of mine recently picked up a new Stihl blower with a primer bulb. The owners manual suggested priming it some number of times prior to starting it in the customary fashion - choke until it first fires over, then no choke after that. Well, being that he is disposed towards following directions, he did what the book said.

He couldn't get the thing to start to save his life, his father couldn't get it to start, his neighbor couldn't get it to start. Over the course of a three-day weekend they only got it to start two times.

So I came over to look at it a couple days later. It was stone cold and I picked it up, choked it, gave it two pulls. And it fired. After it fully cooled off again, I tried it per the instructions - priming first. It took fifty pulls to start after the suggested 5 pumps on the primer, or whatever exactly it was that the manual said.

This may not be the cause of your problem, but it is food for thought anyway. Good luck!
My 346 will not start after sitting without using the primer.:)

Latest posts

Back