"can't we all just get along?" Rodney King

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterarbor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
is it just me, or are people around here thin skinned? I go to a smoke shop where we smoke cigars and pipes and hang out and play cards and watch TV. we are constantly joking and giving someone a hard time and it's all in fun. it's understood that we can take it-we're friends. i would consider this forum to be similar. we are all brothers in trees. some of us are more skilled or disciplined than others, but what the heck...

but what is up with this elitist attitude about treework? granted, when i was new to advanced rigging and climbing and recently certified, i was perhaps a little snobby and quick to split hairs. but after a while i began to realize that maybe a humbler approach is better. can't we all adhere to ansi and isa standards without being so darn pissy about the particulars? or if one guy is not where another guy is, can't there be some grace? this forum literally become a pissing contest sometimes! if we want to help someone, we need to build up while we make our observations, so as to not discourage. is it just me?

and another thing! have a sense of humor! some of you guys are like old hens!

that said, i love you guys. i had to rant a little. maybe some people agree with me. maybe ya all are gonna fry me. maybe a lil' both. if nothing else, it's something to talk about. but in the spirit of fun, take it with a grain of salt!

cheers, and stay safe
:deadhorse:

kevin

Tree climbers in general are the most stubborn, opinionated, bull headed, my way or the highway, breed of skilled workers there are. They can also be the most helpful, generous, go through the wall type of people around. Getting them all to agree with a topic would be like organizing a leaf pile. ;)

that's true. it's hard getting three climbers to agree on something in the cab of a truck on the way to the job, let alone a sea of 'em. but still, even a salty 'ol tree dog can learn a new trick.

Tree climbers in general are the most stubborn, opinionated, bull headed, my way or the highway, breed of skilled workers there are. They can also be the most helpful, generous, go through the wall type of people around. Getting them all to agree with a topic would be like organizing a leaf pile. ;)

You forgot high strung.

Good thread.

Before being here I spent a lot of time on a skid steer forum. (Side note: I feel they are the most versatile tool in the world, I have 12 attachments and built 9 of them and my trailer myself, so yeah I'm into them.) Anyways, everybody on their is so nice, gracious, and thankful to pool their information to help each other, and respectful since you really don't know who you are talking to on the internet.

I check this place out and it's like a zoo! First time I read some of this stuff I told my brother "Hey, man check this out, 2 guys will fight for a while, then two more go at it for a page or so, all dancing around the original question or topic" reminded me of highschool when we would go on forums just to prank.

Well, I also came to realize the nature of most treemen must have some similarities. I have three in my family and we will fight to the death over a technique, equipment, tree diagnosis, proper way to pull off a procedure, etc.
Though we fight are goals on the job are all the same and we will all walk through fire. On a good day when everything is just right, we will laugh are way through the whole day without hardly and argument, thats a real good day though. We don't worry about offending each other, because the fact is your life is on the line everytime you go up, you can't hold back, if you see something you don't like you better speak up for the good of the crew and then get back to work.

"When you work eyeball to eyeball with death or serious injury there aint no time for politics." Put that in my Famous Quotes book.

That said, I think some of that carries over into this forum. I always tell guys that don't climb, "If I can do that in the air, I can do anything on the ground". Tree guys are a different breed and I am proud to be one.

Last edited:
this place is thin skinned.

ive been here for a minute now and it seems people are too easily offended.

maybe its me though. i have , in the past mind you, been called offensive.

a coworker once told me that my humor is also aggressive and antagonistic but still humorous nonetheless.

ive even stifled some of my best stuff just not to really make anyone upset.

"they" wont even let me look at the "ugly mug" thread.

cmon. whats up with that?

there was a time for a minute here that anytime i entered a thread it came to a halt almost immediately after. now thats funny.

you guys scared of what oldirty might say next?

oh well. its what i do. i offend.

lol

"When you work eyeball to eyeball with death or serious injury there aint no time for politics."

is that the new company slogan?

i like it.

no politics cause your family though. try some of that arguing with nonfamily coworkers and politics come into play bigtime. some one is always going to get upset with the way you talked to them or said something and go to the boss. or go do something else when you show up, like grab a rake.

if you have that big of a problem with someone say it. if it festers then that is what causes the bad air.

for instance.......nails, your a buzzard.

i feel better now.

Last edited:
this place is thin skinned.

ive been here for a minute now and it seems people are too easily offended.

maybe its me though. i have , in the past mind you, been called offensive.

a coworker once told me that my humor is also aggressive and antagonistic but still humorous nonetheless.

ive even stifled some of my best stuff just not to really make anyone upset.

"they" wont even let me look at the "ugly mug" thread.

cmon. whats up with that?

there was a time for a minute here that anytime i entered a thread it came to a halt almost immediately after. now thats funny.

you guys scared of what oldirty might say next?

oh well. its what i do. i offend.

lol

That sounds familiar I think I have heard that before. Don't quit Oldirty I love your work, seriously take it up a notch and bring out the big guns!:cheers:

One reason fusses get started here is sometimes folks will say something that is a little left of the middle of the road and there people here that are easily stirred up by certain subjects. And, they probably should be. Take for example illegal aliens. I don't like them here myself but there is a few guys here that anything about illegal aliens really pushes their buttons. Then somebody says something like "I don't have a problem with them. They are just trying to better themselves" and the fight is on. Or somebody E-blurts spiking some trees won't hurt them or low ball bidding is cool or some nonsense about climbing with no gear. You get the idea the list goes on and on. And it gets people fired up. You know the funny thing is I have been to trade shows, educational programs and other arboricultural events and am yet to hear any, not some now but any, of the stupid stuff I have seen posted here. I think it has something to do with the concept of somebody being able to actually personally get in your face and call you a moron.

oh and masterarb, i have never said my way is the best way.

i just work hard and have found a good way to do things with what i have. so if you ask a question that directly relates to something i have done i give you my take.

i try not to pretend that i know much about something i know very little of. IE BS.

i think we need a get together to actually find out who can do what. i know for a fact that all i would need is about 5 minutes of watching someone work to find out if they can hang on my crew.

nails, thanks for the vote of confidence. i appreciate it and i know where it comes from... another hardworking dude.

if you have that big of a problem with someone say it. if it festers then that is what causes the bad air.

for instance.......nails, your a buzzard.

i feel better now.

This is pure genious, very agressive and antagonistic, but genious.

About, the politics, family politics are bad too, but at the end of the day you are still "in" because you are family. I never really liked that, but have come to realize I can't ever change that. Has something to do with love or something, I don't know.

I used to work on a concrete paver crew building highways, we'd pave over a mile a day all summer, sometimes crew moral was low and tensions were high. I was also a lineman. Both jobs were Union and had some heavy politics. Boy it wasn't hard to piss union people off especially when you don't take their breaks or work through lunch to fix their problems, good times. I just let my work do the talking, and went on to other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth is ........every once in a while a new member comes on here with the Rodney King crapola, but it ain't gonna change a thing. People are still going to come on here and talk s#!t because this isn't the real world.

Use this board to actually meet people in person and climb or work with them. Thats where you'll find out what ya got and where ya need to go....

To me its all about being a kid at heart. Riving someone like old dirty for trying to legalize pot on job sites, or myself for being a little on the poor in writing skills is; just keeping life fun. How many of us had buddies that fought like dogs but stood together when needed, it is the nature of man.Test our buds see if they are worthy hanging around fees! Even though sometimes a post stings it would be boring if all the answers were text book!

Last edited:
To me its all about being a kid at heart. Riving someone like old dirty for trying to legalize pot on job sites, or myself for being a little on the poor in writing skills is; just keeping life fun. How many of us had buddies that fought like dogs but stood together when needed it is the nature of man.Test our buds see if they are worthy hanging around fees! Even though sometimes a post stings it would be boring if all the answers were text book!

i didnt say make it hempfest08 on the job rope, just stated what i'd rather see. lol

whats a text book? something one would use to roll a bone on? lol
kidding...

donnyo is right. go meet and climb with someone from this site. i have. i've met a couple good dudes. i have found plenty of saturday work from this site.

happy easter by the way.

Latest posts

Back