"can't we all just get along?" Rodney King

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i didnt say make it hempfest08 on the job rope, just stated what i'd rather see. lol

whats a text book? something one would use to roll a bone on? lol
kidding...

donnyo is right. go meet and climb with someone from this site. i have. i've met a couple good dudes. i have found plenty of saturday work from this site.

happy easter by the way.

+1 good post happy easter everyone, gotta go help grankids look for them
camoflaged eggs and there,s one that they wont find until I point it out,
can ya'all guess where it is?

I was telling a tree man poser a few weeks ago about how my relationships are with my friends. He couldn't understand it. A bunch of my friends though are tree guys, or are in similar industries. Once in a while we'll get into a fight, and we won't talk for a period of time... anywhere from a few days, to a few months. The poser guy couldn't understand it. I do. It's just the way things are. Walk away for an amount of time to cool off... and then back to normal. Or somebody will need a hand with something, so they'll call the other person.. and that person will be there.

Part of the "problem" is that some people seem to think that they can come in and just say whatever they please.

If that were allowed, then only a few people would come regularly, we try to keep that down to a minimum. it was decided a while ago though that core of the group wanted to keep it a little rougher around the edges then thebuzz or the ISA board.

We've lost a few very good people due to this, but we have our own "ambiance" . That said, it should not be a $15 whorehouse bar with unwashed nose pickers trying to call every other person out. That always detracts from the conversation.

There have been times where the flame wars have gotten so bad that I took off for a few weeks to see if it would go away

i'm not even a tree guy,just an old farmer/old heavy equiptment operator/school bus driver/truck driver,but I have gained a lot of knowledge from all you tree guys and I for one appreciate it and my hat is off to you all and my bald head is shining bright for you

I think a lot of the problem with tree guys stems from the market competition. I know nothing lights up my bosses more than seeing a new tree service in the area. And we all think that WE ARE THE BEST at what we do. That I believe comes from the fact that we all work very hard to do a good job and somehow convince ourselves that we work harder than the next guy who thinks that he works harder than us. Let's face it guys, we all bust our a//es day in and day out, there's never enough work, there's always that next piece of equipment to save for and we're all tired as hell at the end of the day. It's when we find that common ground that we all start to get along. We all got sawdust in our blood and for some reason love this exhausting occupation we call tree work.

My son tells everyone. " Dad & I are just like the Tuttle's, but we manage to put our differences aside & get the job done. Other than that " I'm too damn old & loaded with useless wisdom. I still enjoy reading all posts & replying . You guys are the best, so keep up the battle. Keeps this old guys heart pumping. Thanks & have a cold-one for me.:cheers: :clap:

Admission is free but you still have to pay! I had to get away from that political thread it will suck you in like a blackhole and spike your blood pressure like right now! This site has been a great sounding board and an invaluable resource. Sure you will have your trolls and disagreements but hey thats life.

couldn't have said it better!

Tree climbers in general are the most stubborn, opinionated, bull headed, my way or the highway, breed of skilled workers there are. They can also be the most helpful, generous, go through the wall type of people around. Getting them all to agree with a topic would be like organizing a leaf pile. ;)

hats off to you!

i'm not one for PC.

i believe say how it is or how you feel.don't sugar coat it.

if someone isn't offended,it's not free speech.

what amazes me is the pettiness that grown men get offended by.

i'm all for that type of GTG oldirty.i think it would clear the air.

Hey look out now.

Then there are pure mutts like me, the patrilineal line has been here since 1624 or something. Dad's Mom was a Bell shipped over here indentured after being taken in one Irish uprising or another in the early 1700's. Can't really track all the others that got mixed in since, though Mom is Swede/Welsh....

Highly likely that there is Amer-Ind and African in there too, Oriental is highly unlikely, unless we go back to the Mongol hordes...:laugh:

Yeah, we take the fok over!:clap:

It's more the smell of cabbage boiling on the stove.... :laugh: I just finished the last of the "boiled dinner" required from St Pat's day. The only time my wife will make it.

Glad I'm not required to eat ethnic dishes, I'd have leutefisk and haggis, among others.

I can do the sauerkraut on a brat though NumNumNum....

is it just me, or are people around here thin skinned? I go to a smoke shop where we smoke cigars and pipes and hang out and play cards and watch TV. we are constantly joking and giving someone a hard time and it's all in fun. it's understood that we can take it-we're friends. i would consider this forum to be similar. we are all brothers in trees. some of us are more skilled or disciplined than others, but what the heck...

but what is up with this elitist attitude about treework? granted, when i was new to advanced rigging and climbing and recently certified, i was perhaps a little snobby and quick to split hairs. but after a while i began to realize that maybe a humbler approach is better. can't we all adhere to ansi and isa standards without being so darn pissy about the particulars? or if one guy is not where another guy is, can't there be some grace? this forum literally become a pissing contest sometimes! if we want to help someone, we need to build up while we make our observations, so as to not discourage. is it just me?

and another thing! have a sense of humor! some of you guys are like old hens!

that said, i love you guys. i had to rant a little. maybe some people agree with me. maybe ya all are gonna fry me. maybe a lil' both. if nothing else, it's something to talk about. but in the spirit of fun, take it with a grain of salt!

cheers, and stay safe
:deadhorse:

kevin
Nice to hear different views

Our profession is that of unbreakable will against insurmountable odds. Only people of with a little bit of abrasive nature can do it. (at least long term)

That being said, there are the treemen, and the intellectuals, who can learn from eachother if they put themselves on an even plane. There probably no one in here that could not teach me something, if I am willing to learn from them, but thirty years in the tree industry, I feel I have something to offer too.

Good luck guys. By the way this theme has been visited extensively before. I know I started a thread to the same spirit quite awhile ago.

Our profession is that of unbreakable will against insurmountable odds. Only people of with a little bit of abrasive nature can do it. (at least long term)

I know a good number of quite, humble people in this industry. Not to say they are not strong willed and individualistic, that comes with the entrepreneurial spirit. You just do not need to be a contrary party-pooper to do well in it.

Its not unique to this forum, I have been on a few bike forums that have exactly the same, if not worse kind of problems.

I think face to face we would be fine, its to easy to type on the keyboard while standing on a soapbox.

Back