!^&(^%#~@ Carb Check Valves!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
Leaky check valves is the biggest failure mode I run into with these things. I'm working on my Dad's 455R with a Walbro WTEA-1 and the darn check valve is leaking, so it just pulls in air with the purge bulb and the pump can't pull fuel. Dad has been storing fuel in random plastic bottles, which left deposits inside the carb and blocked the trash screen. I got it really clean otherwise but I cannot get the check valve to seal. I have it soaking in a jar of gasoline and carb cleaner, and I'm using a vacuum pump to periodically pull fuel though the purge nipple with the main inlet blocked off. I'm hoping it will dissolve the deposits on it but it's not looking good so far.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a US cleaner.

There are carb cleaner additives that you can get at f.e. a motorcycle store. The method is simple, dump the required amount into the gas and then just run it. My online store has a bunch of positive feedback comments on the stuff. It is made for 4 stroke engine but I doubt you would harm anything in the two stroke.
The alternative is buying a US cleaner. I only have an el cheapo / jewelery cleaner model but it still works great. I runn it three times with water/simple green, with water exchange after every pass and once with only water to clean out the soap.

did oly make smiley? slo p be here in a jif and give ya back you tinfoil hat. We was fixing Chris' dad's carb here.

Chris-EPA sorry about the interuptione. Try pushing the fuel purge bulb five times. Then pull the starter handle until you feel it begin to engage. Give it a brisk pull and it should, "pop." It's kinda like saw cpr lol. Until you get the hang of it. You might end up needing to disassemble that carb for a thorough cleaning and potential rebuild. !^&(^%#~@ it.
does the ape think pretty highly of himself???? go around grunting and showing off his chest??? what a laugh............you her SISTER????

I'd replace it if the cleaning won't let it reseat/seal.

Part Number Description List Price
86-3376-1 Nozzle - check valve $2.05
Thanks, that is the main nozzle & check valve, but the one that is leaking on mine is the Check Valve Seat Assy 84-664-35, which does not appear to be available. I'm not sure how I'd get it out anyway, as the opening hole is so small. I'd have to drill it out first.

There are carb cleaner additives that you can get at f.e. a motorcycle store. The method is simple, dump the required amount into the gas and then just run it. My online store has a bunch of positive feedback comments on the stuff. It is made for 4 stroke engine but I doubt you would harm anything in the two stroke.
The alternative is buying a US cleaner. I only have an el cheapo / jewelery cleaner model but it still works great. I runn it three times with water/simple green, with water exchange after every pass and once with only water to clean out the soap.

For now it will only run on a prime. That's why I'm using the vacuum pump to pull fuel/cleaner through it, in the hope that it will dissolve. I may have to look at a cheap USC - it would probably be cheaper than a new carb. On the other hand it may not work, and then I'll have to get the carb too.

Leaky check valves is the biggest failure mode I run into with these things. I'm working on my Dad's 455R with a Walbro WTEA-1 and the darn check valve is leaking, so it just pulls in air with the purge bulb and the pump can't pull fuel. Dad has been storing fuel in random plastic bottles, which left deposits inside the carb and blocked the trash screen. I got it really clean otherwise but I cannot get the check valve to seal. I have it soaking in a jar of gasoline and carb cleaner, and I'm using a vacuum pump to periodically pull fuel though the purge nipple with the main inlet blocked off. I'm hoping it will dissolve the deposits on it but it's not looking good so far.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a US cleaner.
Ethanol has ruined thousands of dollars worth of carbs for me!

Ethanol has ruined thousands of dollars worth of carbs for me!
Well, I run all my saws on E10 from the local gas station. The carbs I've had with bad check valves have all been ZAMA C1Q's until this one, and they were on used saws when I got them. My Dad is using E10 too, mixed 50:1 with Echo PowerBlend, but he's storing it in various plastic bottles. The fuel that was in the saw stank too - he claims it wasn't old but I'm not sure. The deposits in this carb are unlike what I've seen in any of mine, so at this point I'm going to assume it was from stale fuel, or from plastic leached out of the inappropriate containers, not from E10.

Well, I run all my saws on E10 from the local gas station. The carbs I've had with bad check valves have all been ZAMA C1Q's until this one, and they were on used saws when I got them. My Dad is using E10 too, mixed 50:1 with Echo PowerBlend, but he's storing it in various plastic bottles. The fuel that was in the saw stank too - he claims it wasn't old but I'm not sure. The deposits in this carb are unlike what I've seen in any of mine, so at this point I'm going to assume it was from stale fuel, or from plastic leached out of the inappropriate containers, not from E10.
I just bought 3 C1 Qs

Plastic from what gas containers?

Chris, last time i was over at LVI(airport rd) there was a station selling non-ethanol fuel for like $4.00 a gallon.
Probably not your current issue but might be something to look into.

I remember back a while guys were clearly stating fuel stored in anything not designed for gas was causing big problems in carbs due to deterioration . Some older aging gas cans will break down as well. Leaves a snot like glue clear plastic film to seal off carb jets and ports. Very difficult to see as the cans are colored but the snot is clear.

Good luck with these carbs. At least you got to see your dad cause his saws dont run....maybe you should break them more often :)

Chris, last time i was over at LVI(airport rd) there was a station selling non-ethanol fuel for like $4.00 a gallon.
Probably not your current issue but might be something to look into.

I remember back a while guys were clearly stating fuel stored in anything not designed for gas was causing big problems in carbs due to deterioration . Some older aging gas cans will break down as well. Leaves a snot like glue clear plastic film to seal off carb jets and ports. Very difficult to see as the cans are colored but the snot is clear.

Good luck with these carbs. At least you got to see your dad cause his saws dont run....maybe you should break them more often :)
Plastic gas cans can do this?

Go on eBay and buy another carb. The prices have come down so much this it's not worth the time . I have an extra carb on the shelf for everything I own. The last one was $17 bucks. Always check the RPMs and adjust. They can come out the box wide nearly wide open. The settings might be off based on screw turns. It takes two minutes to tune to perfection.

Go on eBay and buy another carb. The prices have come down so much this it's not worth the time . I have an extra carb on the shelf for everything I own. The last one was $17 bucks. Always check the RPMs and adjust. They can come out the box wide open.
You cant always get them that cheap depends if it is a popular model saw they get more. What saw was this for?

You cant always get them that cheap depends if it is a popular model saw they get more.

Some times it takes searching and cross referencing. Message the guys selling other cheap carbs. They don't have them all listed. Some of those guys are very good at cross referencing. I've done that several times and they found me a model that will work. Just watch the RPMs because some will be higher then you expect based on screw turns if they aren't the exact same model.

Back