!^&(^%#~@ Carb Check Valves!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, last time i was over at LVI(airport rd) there was a station selling non-ethanol fuel for like $4.00 a gallon.
Probably not your current issue but might be something to look into.

I remember back a while guys were clearly stating fuel stored in anything not designed for gas was causing big problems in carbs due to deterioration . Some older aging gas cans will break down as well. Leaves a snot like glue clear plastic film to seal off carb jets and ports. Very difficult to see as the cans are colored but the snot is clear.

Good luck with these carbs. At least you got to see your dad cause his saws dont run....maybe you should break them more often :)
Yes, I remember that thread too, and this seems to be exactly what was described. The stuff was not really effected by carb cleaner or brake cleaner - I had to scrape it off some parts. This is what I think happened to the check valve, and I cannot get in there to clean it.

And yeah, now that his saw is down I guess I'll have to go over and cut with him!

Plastic gas cans can do this?
He was not using actual gas cans, rather other old containers. I use plastic gas cans and do not see such deposits.

Yes, I remember that thread too, and this seems to be exactly what was described. The stuff was not really effected by carb cleaner or brake cleaner - I had to scrape it off some parts. This is what I think happened to the check valve, and I cannot get in there to clean it.

He was not using actual gas cans, rather other old containers. I use plastic gas cans and do not see such deposits.
Ok :cool:

Some times it takes searching and cross referencing. Message the guys selling other cheap carbs. They don't have them all listed. Some of those guys are very good at cross referencing. I've done that several times and they found me a model that will work. Just watch the RPMs because some will be higher then you expect based on screw turns if they aren't the exact same model.
This is a carb for a strato engine and has the additional throttle plate and support. The best I've seen is $48, but I suspect that is what I'm going to do here anyway.

This is a carb for a strato engine and has the additional throttle plate and support. The best I've seen is $48, but I suspect that is what I'm going to do here anyway.

That's steep but you have to value your time.

Thanks - getting it out will still require surgery with a drill though.
Really? I must be thinking about the wrong carb then, I do remember drilling out with an 1/8" bit and using a sheet metal screw to pull it.

The main nozzle pushes into the throat, using the drill press and a bit that's chucked in upside down.

Carbs are getting to be a pain in the azz, I finally got outsmarted by a new style Zama RB rotary carb last month on an Echo GT225 trimmer, never could get it to run right after three US cleanings and a carb kit. Had to replace it, and eat the carb kit cost as I couldn't charge him for both...even though he knowing put stale nasty gas in it.

The only plastic I am aware of suitable for fuel storage is HD PE. I remember years ago when some of the old members posted pictures of carbs where the users had stored the fuel in unsuitable plastc containers and the gas had disolved substances in the plastic that ruined the saws! Not only the carbs but the deposits where everywhere in the engine. If I remember correctly it was "lakesideandy" who showed the evidence.

So guys go out and be sure that the plastic used is truely HD PE.

I reuse also oil containers in litre(~quart) and 5 litre (~gallon) size and all I have ever seen are also made out of HD PE. So if someone wants to save a little money, I get mine from car repair places. The expensive oil brands have real tricked out plastic containers.

Really? I must be thinking about the wrong carb then, I do remember drilling out with an 1/8" bit and using a sheet metal screw to pull it.

The main nozzle pushes into the throat, using the drill press and a bit that's chucked in upside down.

Carbs are getting to be a pain in the azz, I finally got outsmarted by a new style RB rotary carb last month on an Echo GT225 trimmer, never could get it to run right after three US cleanings and a carb kit. Had to replace it, and eat the carb kit cost as I couldn't charge him for both...even though he knowing put stale nasty gas in it.
I should have taken a picture - the check valve in other WTs I've worked on has a center hole big enough to get a small screw into, but the hole in this one can't be more than 0.015". I'd have to drill it larger to pull it - certainly doable but at this point I cannot be sure the main nozzle check valve is good either. Not sure how much I want to put into it.

Boat gas tanks that were fiberglass would have some compound in the resin leach out with E 10 and clog carbs with goo.

Some older plastic fittings would do the same.

Boat gas tanks that were fiberglass would have some compound in the resin leach out with E 10 and clog carbs with goo.

Some older plastic fittings would do the same.
It may be a combination with the ethanol then. Nonetheless I have no issues when it's stored in a proper container. BTW, I think the whole ethanol in fuel thing is stupid, but I'm not going to drive all over to get fuel when I can use the stuff sold down the road.

Dad wanted a new carb put on so I ordered that. I don't expect any issues, as the saw is in perfect shape - I'm quite impressed with the design really.

There seems to be a reaction from heat and the cleaning/dissolveing action of ethanol.

Ethanol attacks metal, rubber, plastics dissolving components of them.
In outboards with EFI you have a VST, a small tank with an electric fuel pump in it bolted right to the powerhead.
The fuel carries dissolved crud thru the filters towards the motor. When the hot motor is shut off the fuel in the VST heats up then cools. This does something to the crud. It seems to come out of solution forming a sludge and a brown sand looking crystal deposit.

These crystals and sludge would be caught in the filters if they were being carried by the fuel. This stuff is usualyy not found in the filters in the boat but only in the motor mounted filters and mostly the filter inside the VST.

Ethanol is not something you want in a motor/fuel system that sees only occasional use.
A non vented system helps too but most boats, saws, mowers etc are vented.

Ethanol strips the protective film off parts that gas leaves causing corrosion of metal parts.

Plastic tanks are porus with ethanol. You can smell a faint gas smell in boats with plastic tanks. Experts say only a smell comes thru and not explosive vapors. Now how do you know if you have a fuel leak or just a smell leak?

I tell ya, the cheap H/F ultrasonic cleaner has been a real carb saver. I just recently cleaned a Bolens weedeater carb and it's running like new now.

Same with most every carb that gets run through it, highly recommended for any carb cleaning. I just use Dawn and water in a bag, with clean water in the USC, and really seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I tell ya, the cheap H/F ultrasonic cleaner has been a real carb saver. I just recently cleaned a Bolens weedeater carb and it's running like new now.

Same with most every carb that gets run through it, highly recommended for any carb cleaning. I just use Dawn and water in a bag, with clean water in the USC, and really seems to work well.
I will probably get one eventually.
Dump the stinking fuel. Its old!
Oh I did, right away. It's been running through my beat old push mower and every time I shut it off the yard stinks!

Popped the new carb on tonight and it fired right up. I need to final tune it yet, but have to do the chain first. I decided not to pull the limiters, as I think they are perfect here. They are spring loaded so I can fully adjust it, but still give some adjustment range with a small screwdriver. Tuning thing is not my dad's forte, so I like it this way!

I like this saw.

For the goo/snot in the carbs as a last resort try MEK or Methylene Chloride.
MEK. Methyl Ethel Keytone will dissolve many things.
Methylene Chloride is used to extract plant resins and is one of the only things that will soften freshly cured fiberglass resin in order to put another layer of glass on. It is hard to get.

Both of these are bad to get on you, they soak right in.
Don't inhale either, the pink elephants that you see are not friendly!!!

Popped the new carb on tonight and it fired right up. I need to final tune it yet, but have to do the chain first. I decided not to pull the limiters, as I think they are perfect here. They are spring loaded so I can fully adjust it, but still give some adjustment range with a small screwdriver. Tuning thing is not my dad's forte, so I like it this way!

I like this saw.
Good job there!

I'd go ahead and get that check for a making a back up carb, I did another check on a WT-149 on my Dads Ryobi 700 and it now primes & purrs like a kitten.

The checks are an order of magnitude less money than your new carb. Don't worry about the main nozzle check condition, as this one was plumbed in series with the main. I'll bet that your WTEA is the same

Good on ya buddy. Glad it worked out.

One of these days we're gonna have to meet up. I got a buddy in bloody springs, pa with a couple hundred acres we can cut all day at, an another 150 just outside of pburg nj. Your pick.
That would be fun! BUT....

Right now the leaves are turning and I'm in my end of summer panic - due to tight finances, a truck failure and the time & parts required to fix it, combined with social obligations, vacation, taking my daughter off to school, and weather and job I have not got jack $__t accomplished. My firewood stacks are too small and I need to replace a porch beam before snow loads accumulate. So it will be a bit before I can get away.

My son's 16th birthday party is today and I've spent the evenings this week getting the place cleaned up for a picnic. I'm just dying for it to be over and hopefully get to spend 2 days busting ass. I found 5 standing dead ash trees on the edge of my field that are coming down - not too big but good enough and burnable now. It's killing me how much good oak I have but it didn't get split in time.

Still, I'd like to get together one of these days when things calm down a bit.

Latest posts

Back