Carb limiters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What are the consequences of me removing the plastic adjustment limit covers from the carb on my chainsaws? If I do it, is there any legal consequence? can you refer me to the regulation?

Would it be to my advantage to do this? Since the saws are run so lean I wonder about richening a little to reduce the chance of burnout?

Tom

Tom since you are a professional the only thing I could think of is if a groundman cut himself while cutting, OSHA may find that the saw has been modified. Also you can be fined in states with tough emissions rules in states like CA. Sonny is from SoCal he could probably tell you. I dont think you would have any problems in MN, though. I wouldnt richen it too much though or else the excess carbon can plug up the muffler. Your spark plug will tell you if the saw is running rich enough. Also, at full throttle and not in the cut you should hear the engine "burble" slightly or "four stroke" as some guys call it.

yeah there are not realy any legal downfalls unless you are running a business and osha comes in. But with my one saw that had the limiter caps on it i tore them off. but with some of the saws those limiter caps keep the needles in the carb cause some do not use the springs to keep them in they only rely on the caps to keep them in one place.

My personal feeling about the caps is that they serve no useful purpose other than to lean-seize a new saw. When the saws are assembled are the screws set with an exhaust gas analyzer? When Cleodus down at the local saw shop tunes your saw does he use one? As near as I can tell, the adjustment is determined by the experience of the initial adjustor and none of my saws came with a certificate saying what that adjustment is. I've taken great reactionary delight in making my saws run right. I'd like to hear from actual experience what saws don't use springs on the screws, every saw I've straightened out had 'em. A little mechanical common sense will determine the best plan to make the screws adjustable on any saw. ( except 020T with the ultimate in compliance, no screw at all )

Yeah, that cracks me up on the 020 with no screw. Dont buy one of those in the valley and use it on top of the hill!

I was ticked when i found my 020 did not have a H screw. At least it ran at 9000ft this summer.

Then the come out with the the new 200 and it has the 2 screw carb! ARRRGHHHH as Charlie Brown used to say.

Good Grief !!!! :D The 020 runs fine but everything I've bought with limiters were set lean.

Latest posts

Back