Carb Settings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetrolHead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, Great forum by the way.
One question I always wanted to ask with regards to carb tuning.
When setting the high side so the saw just 4 cycles, should consideration be given for when the tank is under half full?
I like to make sure the "4 cycle" is steady and not hit and miss, but have noticed the saw is not so when I've worked it and the tank is down.
Thanks in advance.

Petrol- I can't remember where I read it, it may have been on this forum, but somewhere I read to have the tank above half full when making adjustments. Other than keeping the fuel pickup in the fuel and allowing the engine to run with a steady fuel supply and allow you to accurately tune it, I'm not sure why it'd matter, but whoever wrote what I read thought it important enough to mention.

Take care all,
Jeff

PH welcome to the site,

Yes your tank should be more than 1/2 full. I normally adjust mine with the tach also when the tahnk is 3/4 full or there abouts.

Madsens also recommend not adjusting unless you are over 1/2 full.

Madsen's point 3 at the following link.

http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Hey thanks for the replies and the links.
Yep, a tacho solved my question, found the beasty was leaning out a tad when the tank was getting down.
Just gave the high side an 1/8 out which gave a little margin, worked out to be a few hundred under max RPM when checked with near full tank.
I must get a good tacho one day.
It's Autumn here, theres a nip in the air and the shadows are getting longer. I'm looking forward to firewood season :)
Thanks again.

Back