carbide chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appalachianarbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The fire dept I am on got two new MS360's for the brush truck. On their old saws, they had carbide chains. The new saws have regular chains. They said the reason they switched is that if a carbide chain cuts into a tree, it'll be ruined. They said a carbide chain can only cut lumber, etc. What's the deal?

Carbide chain is slower than "regular" chain and much more expensive. If these saws are going to cut trees and brush then they are set up properly.

Carbide chain won't be ruined by cutting wood.:rolleyes: -Very stupid reasoning. However, Sedanman is correct-regular saw chain cuts better , is cheaper , and is more easily resharpened WHEN SOME DOOFUS TRYS TO CUT ROCKS WITH IT. If the "brush truck" is supposed to be deployed on wildfires then they are set up correctly. :)

So what is the intended application for carbide chains? Will they cut through nails that are imbedded in shipping pallets?

My understanding is that the carbide chains are for cutting into houses to create vent holes where they might encounter nails, wire and bolts.

Fire depts. use the carbide for venting roofs and may be cutting through about anything. The carbide just holds up better cutting through asphault shingles, nails and whatever else may be found on and in roofs.

The "Brush" truck is probably knocking down trees and brush to form quick fire breaks. As long as the operator keeps the saw out of the dirt the standard chain would provide better overall service for that application. Lower cost and no special tools needed to sharpen or touch up the chain.

Just a simple matter of the right tool for the right job and in theory it sounds like they're on the right track.

There are 3 basic types of carbide chain out there. The fire department style uses a carbide chip that is like one that you would find on a circular saw blade. They are unsharpened and unrelieved, and rely on blunt force trauma to go through roofs and composite materials. The next style also uses a carbide chip, but it is round sharpened and relieved so that chips can move throgh the throat of the tooth. These were developed for severe abrasive conditions like Mt. St. Helens or for burlwood cutters. The third style is carbide grit material that is brazed onto the outside of a standard sawchain tooth, and is used for lesser abrasive conditions like cutting railroad ties or working a landing.
The first two styles require a diamond wheel to put a new edge on them. The third style can be sharpened with a standard file or grinding wheel. The first two styles run between $1.20 and $2.00 a drive link, and the third style is about $.40 per drive link.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
All good points, but for the most part carbide should not be very sharp for any purpose. because it is so brittle, if it is sharpened to a fine edge, you risk busting the carbide. you should also avoid interupted cuts with carbide.
B

i guess the last post addresses
my question.. ive wondered if it was possible to put an real edge on carbide ,then harden the edge with lite filing and honing etc..never really fooled much with carbide chain,although ive seen obvious
improvement made, with other equipment..
on second thot, i use to run carbide runners on an parking lot sweeping service truck..man that stuff wasnt brittle . a bit.. it took some awful licks..
its my opinion that no matter how well u sharpened it ,its gonna need touching up
some time,which mite not be such an easy task..myself i dont intend to try it ,cause what im doing now works good ..
just keep touching up u chain..jmo

MB the term Brush Truck is different in wildland fire, it does not haul chips, nor does it have a dump box. usually it has a 150-350 gallon tank, hose reel, pump, 1000' hose fittings, saw, a few handtools, foam unit, etc. Also a couple of Pump Slugs, or Waterlilles to ride in truck and occasionally get out and empty water in order to get back to staging area LOL.

now if i could just get carbide chain for one of my old mac gear drives, i'd be set.. but i don't know that there is any half inch carbide anywhere..

gear drives already cut slow, so there would be little difference..

Latest posts

Back