Carbide teeth grinding questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the sharpening setup i have for sharpening my greenteeth.

attachment.php

Send them out

I ship my used teeth to Jeffs sharpening. Three bucks for my 900 series and I don't have to deal with them. The used ones don't last as long but for a dollar per cutting surface I don't mind.

I am with the same thought as "treetopguy" i have been grinding stumps with my own grinder for 12 years now and never sharpened teeth. i allways found it easyer just to put on new teeth. Is the cost difference worth the time saved by just putting on new teeth. I have had veermer 206 and rayco 1625 with greenteeth, and carlton 4012 with a sandvick wheel, and now vermeer 652 with asandvick wheel. my experence by the time i notice that the tooth is damaged or dull there is not much left or worth sharpeing. Can someone post me a pic of what there dull teeth look like and what they look like when there done sharpeng it or a vid of them sharp would be even better. I just got 50 or so new teeth for my stumper wheel wich i will be putting on this weekend. May be i can save myself some time next time.

- i grind about 28 000 to 20 000 inches a year and replace my front lead teeth 3-4 times a season we only have a 9 month season with 490hrs on my machine that is 1.5 yrs old.
- just repacing my side teeth for the frist time i think there is about 25 of them.

any help or questions would be great

lawmart (sorry for spelling spell check is disabled on this computer)

Hi Y'all. My first post. I have been a "lurker" for several months. All my searches keep leading me here so I figured maybe this was the place to be!
That is alot of cutting per sharpening. I do not do nearly as good. I am turning my Greenteeth 1100 reds at about 20 hours and I only get two uses, not the three as advertized. I'm running a RG50 and a Rg1642 every once in a while. I do get longer use out of the side teeth than the fronts but that still makes your tooth life 10 times mine... I do alot of pine, I just find it easier to do them with good edges. Less dusty. I did a job last week that had 75 stumps with an average of 40 inches. I did not finish that job without turning to a virgin edge.
I sent off my first batch to Jeff's to be sharpened. Hope that works out. Might still have to make my own sparpening rig but would rather spend the time grinding stumps. I am in the process of changing my setup to Low-Pro 900s. I have the old bulkier pockets, they seem to be doing alot of rubbing. I am afraid I'm not going to like the 900s after so many hours behind the 1100s. We will see. Anyhow, Glad to be here, see y'all around!

Hi Y'all. My first post. I have been a "lurker" for several months. All my searches keep leading me here so I figured maybe this was the place to be!
That is alot of cutting per sharpening. I do not do nearly as good. I am turning my Greenteeth 1100 reds at about 20 hours and I only get two uses, not the three as advertized. I'm running a RG50 and a Rg1642 every once in a while. I do get longer use out of the side teeth than the fronts but that still makes your tooth life 10 times mine... I do alot of pine, I just find it easier to do them with good edges. Less dusty. I did a job last week that had 75 stumps with an average of 40 inches. I did not finish that job without turning to a virgin edge.
I sent off my first batch to Jeff's to be sharpened. Hope that works out. Might still have to make my own sparpening rig but would rather spend the time grinding stumps. I am in the process of changing my setup to Low-Pro 900s. I have the old bulkier pockets, they seem to be doing alot of rubbing. I am afraid I'm not going to like the 900s after so many hours behind the 1100s. We will see. Anyhow, Glad to be here, see y'all around!

I run 900 series on my 1625 a sjr grinder. I think your gonna be very disappointed in switching to them. I still have the old pockets, and they are wore pretty good, but still hold the teeth so when they dont, i am gonna get new pockets.

I run 900 series on my 1625 a sjr grinder. I think your gonna be very disappointed in switching to them. I still have the old pockets, and they are wore pretty good, but still hold the teeth so when they dont, i am gonna get new pockets.

I am afraid I will not like it. Every once in a while I trust the "experts" and go against my gut feeling. The outfit where I bought the parts recommended the switch based on customer feedback and factory specs. Less rotating weight... I'm running a 1 1/2" solid wheel, I really don't think a couple pounds will make too much difference. In my mind, if I can wear out cutting surfaces in 20-30 hours w/1100s then what can I expect with 13 to 15% less cutting area? If I hate the set up I will either put it on my RG1642 or sell it on ebay. I have been thinking about changing to the Revolution wheel, just not ready to spend the cash. Next week I have to change out the main pillow block bearings, both sprockets and the poly chain. Fun, Fun.

I would return them before you use them. Nctree put 700 series on his 44hp diesel carton grinder and is braking off the carbides.

900's on 1625?

2treeornot2tree you are running 900's on your 25 hp rayco? I run the 700's on my 1635jr. I would ahve thought the 900's would be to much for mine, but I guess not.........

Thanks

2treeornot2tree you are running 900's on your 25 hp rayco? I run the 700's on my 1635jr. I would ahve thought the 900's would be to much for mine, but I guess not.........

Thanks

I bought it that way, but i have heard quite a few people running the 900s on there 1625.

Grinder teeth pic after one week of use

after one week this is why my teeth look like,

View attachment 257255
Thanks for your input. It would mean more to most of us following this thread if you stated the use time in hours of use instead of saying "one week" which has 168 hours of time. Other helpful infor for comparison would be specie of tree stumps and the amount of rock content in the soil.

In the state of Arkansas we have 214 species of trees mostly hardwoods and the soil seems to have rock content of 2:1 in cu. ft., ton or acres...just doggone rocky. It wears teeth down quickly and that explains why many guys have tried to stump for a living here but found the equipment maintenance expense is high. I have offered stump grinding since 2008, have two walk behind grinders and estimate every job before booking it.

looking for diamond wheel for hand held grinder

Can anyone tell me where to buy a diamond wheel for a hand held grinder? I am grinding sandvik teeth. Thanks
Thanks for your input. It would mean more to most of us following this thread if you stated the use time in hours of use instead of saying "one week" which has 168 hours of time. Other helpful infor for comparison would be specie of tree stumps and the amount of rock content in the soil.

In the state of Arkansas we have 214 species of trees mostly hardwoods and the soil seems to have rock content of 2:1 in cu. ft., ton or acres...just doggone rocky. It wears teeth down quickly and that explains why many guys have tried to stump for a living here but found the equipment maintenance expense is high. I have offered stump grinding since 2008, have two walk behind grinders and estimate every job before booking it.

hrs plz

well i cant give you the rock content of our soil, never thaught of it that way. The problem i have is thaT one of my contract requries me too grind 24 inches below grade grinding 12-15 inches is now problem at that depth it is mostly sand or clay depending how for you are away from the lake. When you get in that 20-24" area you start to hit Rocks that are 12" plus in diameter and also old stone walls, steel from really old farms etc.. But i would estimate hrs on my machine a week would be 16-20hrs. See i dont operate in hrs it means nothing to me but i operate in inches per week since that is how i get paid. When my guys go out i ask them how many inches the have done and what i expect they have to do in a 10 hr day.You can put on 5 hrs on a machime and just sit in a truck, but if you measure the actual production of the machine then that is where your you will make money. Hrs are just for sale and resale and oil changes. As for treee species these are all municpal trees 95% are hardwoods all though there are quite a varity of tree spp. naturally all the same that you would find in the northern to mid eastern to central US.i think iam in zone 5-6 and you are in zones 7-8 (plant hardiness) as per an exact number thats a bit anal.

Lawmart

Last edited:
well i cant give you the rock content of our soil, never thaught of it that way. The problem i have is thaT one of my contract requries me too grind 24 inches below grade grinding 12-15 inches is now problem at that depth it is mostly sand or clay depending how for you are away from the lake. When you get in that 20-24" area you start to hit Rocks that are 12" plus in diameter and also old stone walls, steel from really old farms etc.. But i would estimate hrs on my machine a week would be 16-20hrs. See i dont operate in hrs it means nothing to me but i operate in inches per week since that is how i get paid. When my guys go out i ask them how many inches the have done and what i expect they have to do in a 10 hr day.You can put on 5 hrs on a machime and just sit in a truck, but if you measure the actual production of the machine then that is where your you will make money. Hrs are just for sale and resale and oil changes. As for treee species these are all municpal trees 95% are hardwoods all though there are quite a varity of tree spp. naturally all the same that you would find in the northern to mid eastern to central US.i think iam in zone 5-6 and you are in zones 7-8 (plant hardiness) as per an exact number thats a bit anal.

Lawmart

Now you guys are getting me worried. Just decided last week to switch to green teeth and ordered a bunch of 700 series. Ya'all sound like 900 is the better option...

green teeth

Now you guys are getting me worried. Just decided last week to switch to green teeth and ordered a bunch of 700 series. Ya'all sound like 900 is the better option...

You may not want to here this but I will tell you anyway. When Green Teeth hit the market, I thought they were a good choice but the science of grinding wheels has left them in the dust. It took me four tries before I found a cutter wheel that is really good. One of the systems I tried was Green Teeth. I tried to tell folks on this sight a few months ago about this wheel that I am using and I got accused of being a sales person for them. That's OK. If I am able to help someone and make it so they don't have to spend the kind of money that I have had to spend to find the right cutter wheel then I will be happy. Try The Revolution by New River Equipment. Since I first spoke about how great this wheel is, Brush Bandit has started putting it on all of there machines. I have ground just under 600 stumps since putting this wheel on. I have only sharpened the teeth two times and I still have half of the tooth life left. I have not lost any carbide tips in all this time. I have a new Revolution wheel on the way for my small machine as well. Will let you all know how it does.

You may not want to here this but I will tell you anyway. When Green Teeth hit the market, I thought they were a good choice but the science of grinding wheels has left them in the dust. It took me four tries before I found a cutter wheel that is really good. One of the systems I tried was Green Teeth. I tried to tell folks on this sight a few months ago about this wheel that I am using and I got accused of being a sales person for them. That's OK. If I am able to help someone and make it so they don't have to spend the kind of money that I have had to spend to find the right cutter wheel then I will be happy. Try The Revolution by New River Equipment. Since I first spoke about how great this wheel is, Brush Bandit has started putting it on all of there machines. I have ground just under 600 stumps since putting this wheel on. I have only sharpened the teeth two times and I still have half of the tooth life left. I have not lost any carbide tips in all this time. I have a new Revolution wheel on the way for my small machine as well. Will let you all know how it does.

Thx for the info, i have thought about the revolution wheel but a little out of my price range right now, but when wheel i have now shows enough wear i will probably switch, my bandit came with 900 series green teeth which are much better than the 700 series on my other machines, the only complaint i have is they really throw the chips, but that could also be because of the increased wheel speed of my all hydraulic machine, i have thought about resharpening teeth but at 10.00 each i don't think it is worth it at this time, at 50 hrs i replaced straights, turned long angles once and short angles are still sharp, not bad compared to other teeth i have used..

Bob...:cheers:

Green Teeth have introduced their own Green Wheel. I think I will give that a try. Only 6 teeth on the whole wheel. Video looks impressive...

Thx for the info, i have thought about the revolution wheel but a little out of my price range right now, but when wheel i have now shows enough wear i will probably switch, my bandit came with 900 series green teeth which are much better than the 700 series on my other machines, the only complaint i have is they really throw the chips, but that could also be because of the increased wheel speed of my all hydraulic machine, i have thought about resharpening teeth but at 10.00 each i don't think it is worth it at this time, at 50 hrs i replaced straights, turned long angles once and short angles are still sharp, not bad compared to other teeth i have used..

Bob...:cheers:

Thanks for the feedback Bob. You are rite about cost. It cost me around 2000 for the wheel for my big machine and the wheel I have on order now for my smaller machine will be about 1000. The up side is that I have not spent anything on teeth in about 80 hrs. I have sharpened them twice and have at least 3 more sharpening s before these teeth are done. You need to sharpen your own teeth. It cost me about 1.00 per tooth. I bought a variable speed 5 inch grinder for 150.00 and the diamond disc was 100.00 with shipping. I can get about 100 teeth sharpened with one wheel. The really nice thing is that I don't have to take the teeth off to sharpen them. I think there are better diamond grinding wheels but I have not found them yet

Last edited:
Back