Carbs without hi speed adjustment screw. Do they work? EDIT: Possible solution for me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, solid shaft is better for cutting lots and lots of brush. I have blackberries and some small (less than 1/2 inch) woody overgrowth that I am trying to clear. But I am also on a budget and at least this trimmer can be converted to take a blade. But what you saying , even with the blades, I would wear the trimmer out cutting small stuff with it?
Our trimmer is a bent-shaft model with the flex drive and we've had the drive cable fail a few times over the years and that was just using the string head. Ours is a bit bigger at 32cc, but all the same I think you might be expecting too much if you use a blade.

Tony S

Our trimmer is a bent-shaft model with the flex drive and we've had the drive cable fail a few times over the years and that was just using the string head. Ours is a bit bigger at 32cc, but all the same I think you might be expecting too much if you use a blade.

Tony S

OK. That was what I wanted to know. Thanks for the info!

I wonder how all the big timber got cut with Mac sp125c. After all those were fixed H side
carbs. Well I should think it got cut just fine. My Macs with those non adjustable carbs are great. No messing around, just go cut.

If you have a fixed jet machine and it does what its supposed to, just be glad and enjoy. Leave the tinkering to those that must. If you need more power, get a different machine.

I wonder how all the big timber got cut with Mac sp125c. After all those were fixed H side
carbs. Well I should think it got cut just fine. My Macs with those non adjustable carbs are great. No messing around, just go cut.

If you have a fixed jet machine and it does what its supposed to, just be glad and enjoy. Leave the tinkering to those that must. If you need more power, get a different machine.

Well, it is not my machine yet... I am thinking I will go back Monday and see what I could get it for. Did I mention how much the pawn shop wanted? They have $90 but I will get it for less than that.

You need a decent steel shaft strait shaft trimmer more engine will not help you if the shaft is not designed to handle this type of blade or work.

Be aware some Echo models are strait shaft but come with either a cable of steel shaft. You NEED the steel shaft version, even if it is a pound heavier.

Sounds like the FS 130 we are discussing in the other thread is the way to go. It does have a solid drive shaft, right? I already have a cheap Homelite cable drive shaft trimmer. I wonder. Did Echo make a sholid shaft SRM 210? Maybe I could swap shafts...

I bought an SRM-210 about 10 yrs ago. Still using it. Gets about 5 hrs run time per year. I don't like fixed-jet carbs, but this thing has been flawless, period.

don't forget husqvarna 3120's. they too have a fixed high jet, it's a motorcycle style, without a needle. they're 2cc smaller than your old macs but still cut pretty good.

Topic is bit old but quite relevant to my situation.

I bought a trimmer, GTL BC520 (Mitsubishi TL52), cheap Chinese thing, that has no adjustment screws.

It is running pig rich and I need to solve that somehow.

Issue with fixed jets is that those jets need to be properly set for the used fuel and conditions, but how manufacturer could set jets so that they work for regular fuel and small engine fuel?
Or at near freezing temps and close to 100 degrees? Fixed jet won't be optimal for sea level and few thousand feet either, adjustments are there because of different conditions, fuel etc.

Emissions are less when carb is set up properly for the conditions, also less fuel is burned when carb is properly set, which cannot be done at the factory.

Sure fixed jets work, but computer adjusted fuel injection works so much better, adjustable jets sits somewhere between the two, in small engines adjustable jets are important to get them to run right, without too much wasted fuel and emissions.

Between mixed fuel and two different brand small engine fuel, difference in my small chainsaw was such that poor saw was barely able to make any sawdust on one fuel while on another fuel cut happily, I can't see how fixed yet would work for all situations, it is hit or miss.

Latest posts

Back