Care and Feeding of a Splitting Block?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a tree that the power company took down in their yard. Some of the pieces are big enough to make good chopping blocks. I believe it's rock maple. One I saved for myself, and a friend of mine wanted one as well.

What can I do to make sure the block doesn't split on me, and doesn't rot? Should I let it dry out on its side for awhile, or apply linseed oil?

There are some measures you can take to make a chopping block last a long time, if that's what you want to do.

Place some plastic sheeting under it. This will prevent it from wicking up moisture. Then keep it covered when you're not splitting. The neighbor man used an old galvanized tub to cover his chopping block back in the day.

You can broom off the top and tip it up so it rests on the side when not in use. Thats about all I do. I have been musing on something like a synthetic chopping block top, like a synthetic cutting board. Something that could be hosed off clean easily and reused a long time. Perhaps the top from a used restaurant prep table might work.

My oak block is two years old now and medium whipped, have to get another one soon I reckon..oh drat, have to find a big tree to cut.... ;)

You can broom off the top and tip it up so it rests on the side when not in use. Thats about all I do. I have been musing on something like a synthetic chopping block top, like a synthetic cutting board. Something that could be hosed off clean easily and reused a long time. Perhaps the top from a used restaurant prep table might work.

My oak block is two years old now and medium whipped, have to get another one soon I reckon..oh drat, have to find a big tree to cut.... ;)

My block is only about 20". It holds the biggest ones I can get on it even if they do overlap some.

HarryK

I use cut up treated telephone poles, dont have to worry about rot and were free.

My block is only about 20". It holds the biggest ones I can get on it even if they do overlap some.

HarryK

I always use the largest diameter I have..in stock. Right now it is 30 something inches.

I like to be able to throw a truck tire on them to hold the round there while I whack everything into more and smaller pieces. Rounds that are just too blinking huge to get on a block I bust them on the ground into somewhat smaller sizes, using the anvil on a stick in combination with the sledge if needed. I only use the fiskars on the block.

Eventually I want a 5 or 6 footer (maybe a foot high), that one I will let setup until real dry and treat with weatherproofing stuff and take better care of it. A tractor tire will go on that one, several big rounds at once! If I cant find a suitable composite covering, I will just use scrap plywood or boards, etc, and replace as needed.

Put it on pt 2x4's. screw a 22 inch tire to it. Maul wont hit the block and the splits will split easier.

A friend of mine gave me a tree that the power company took down in their yard. Some of the pieces are big enough to make good chopping blocks. I believe it's rock maple. One I saved for myself, and a friend of mine wanted one as well.

What can I do to make sure the block doesn't split on me, and doesn't rot? Should I let it dry out on its side for awhile, or apply linseed oil?

Soak it in dirty motor oil, once you've used it....soak again :rock:

I have my nice 36" round White Oak splitting log now for about 2 and a half years; I keep it in top of two cinder blocks when not in use; and when splitting I keep it on top of a few pieces of flat 2x4's. It is drying out so nicely now and checking is to a minimum; but I think I am going to have to end up splitting it down soon and start looking for a new one. May even try noodling out some flat planks and making small cutting boards or something.

Store it indoors, maybe in the basement, toughen it up a bit too, tell it its no good and you might replace it with that alder block over there, be an ass to it in general... And don't overfeed it:msp_thumbdn:

I just split the rounds on the ground with a Monster Maul, using anything under the piece to be split raises the wood too high.

Use the biggest round I have, when it splits I replace it. No sense worrying about it, always another to take its place.

It shouldn't crack to bad. I used an old Oak round for a splitting block and i had it for years. Worked pretty good.

Latest posts

Back