Care to identify?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? Then I guess that looks nothing like the heavy barked black locust and the greenish insides?

Hickory, No doubt about it. Just got done splitting about two cords (shag Bark) Dark center with whitesh outer edges.

Last edited:
I think 100 percent honey locust. Just cut and split a 150 + year old one and looks the same to me. Inside should have a orange tint to it when split.

Neither the bark nor the grain looks like any locust I've ever seen. Locust bark is much thicker than that.

Split a couple and post pics. Locust (honey and black) both are pretty yellow inside. Definitely not reddish like that.

Looks kinda like a type of hickory to me, but just guessing really...

Definitely not a black locust based on bark and color inside ive split 3 cords of black this year. Im going with hickory

Meet with my fireplace dealer (I bought a BK Princess Insert!!!) and he states he thinks it is Hickory. I agree, not Black Locust like what I've seen in my piles before at all. Unless there some variant I am unaware of that looks completely different from Black Locust.

Back